Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Ozzy Wozzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

Looking to get a sit on top kayak but haven't decided if I get one in UK and bring it over with us or buy one in Oz.
We will be moving to Bribie Island..

Looking for a Perception Scooter or Feel Free Nomad.
Anyone know where in Queensland we can buy one?
Approximate price?

Thank you.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?

No idea of cost but I would have thought you'd be much better off getting one here, compared to buying and then shipping (unless you have room in the container). As for where - anywhere is the simple answer. I know of about 10 shops within a half hour drive of me that sells them so anywhere on the coast or near a river or creek will have at least one shop. Shouldn't have any problem finding what you're looking for.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:20 am
At home in Qld

theelliotts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzy Wozzy
Looking to get a sit on top kayak but haven't decided if I get one in UK and bring it over with us or buy one in Oz.

Approximate price?

Thank you.
We live on Bribie and there is Aquarius Kayaks on the island (not sure if they have a website but they do list some of their items on ebay.com.au), various outdoor type shops nearby in Morayfield. My hubby wanted a sit-on kayak to also for use for fishing in the pumicestone passage and canals - he shopped around and brought from Extreme Kayaks who manufacture them - they are local (ca 20mins drive from Bribie) in Caboolture. He got a package deal from them for just under $1000.

Hope that helps - any queries re this or Bribie, please pm.

Nina (from a lovely sunny Bribie - not bad for a winter's day!!)
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy Wozzy

Approximate price?

Thank you.
There's a shop here called BCF (boating camping fishing). All three are national obbsessions of the local male. They do kayaks. They probably have a website www.bcf.com.au ?
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

To get a bargain check out the local free ads eg. Sunshine Coast Daily on a Sat, or check-out ebay in Auz.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We're looking to get kayaks when we get to Oz too. Can somebody tell me what are the differences/advantages/usages etc between sit on and sit in kayaks?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:04 am
At home in Qld

theelliotts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kiwinow
We're looking to get kayaks when we get to Oz too. Can somebody tell me what are the differences/advantages/usages etc between sit on and sit in kayaks?
Mate, go for a sit on, if you fall off it wont sink, if the sit in doesnt sink it will be a real pig to get back into anyway/ you will need to beach it first.also the sit on's are easier to set up for fishing (which is the main reason that everyone comes to Oz for(fact)). my 'Yak' is a small extreme Fish bandit at 2.7m long ( so it fits on the back of the Ute) , c/w 4xrod holders & all the bits you need to get out on the water with a cost of $1000.00, + its in desert storm camo colours.
(these comments are from Nina's other half & are true IMHO).
cheers
Peter E
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. No doubt the son will steal it for fishing, but that's not my first priority, although if we can't find decent jobs it may become our main source of food. The place we hope to live in OZ has miles of calm beach and a wide creek to explore so I thought it might be a fun way to get fit and check out some sea life, but I don't want to become sea food. Getting back on easily seems a good idea. We have a canoe at present, but it takes 3 people to lift in on and off the car, so consequently doesn't get used much. We're looking at something much lighter. Will also be looking for a small easy kayak for kids 10 -12 who are complete beginners. Any recommendations?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:17 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Do sharks like the taste of kayaks
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
We have a canoe at present, but it takes 3 people to lift in on and off the car, so consequently doesn't get used much.
Fook me! I can see what you mean!

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 2nd 2008 at 10:41 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Well it's not quite a Maori war canoe. More your Canadian type, but its very heavy.

I've never heard of anyone being snatched off their kayak by a Tiger Shark, but that's a point. Do you feel as safe from what's in the water if you're sitting on, rather than sitting in?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

We bought ours from Adventure Outlet on Marine Parade in Southport. Love it and it was about $1000 for everything, kayak, two seats, paddles, life jacket for me.
There are tons of shops over here that do kayaks, sit on sit in etc etc etc. You'll be spoilt for choice if you buy over here.
Attached Thumbnails Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?-kayak.jpg   Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?-nick-bday-wknd-7-.jpg   Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?-rimg0367.jpg   Where to buy a kayak in Queensland?-rimg0342.jpg  
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Anaconda is the better and cheaper shop that i've found for such things. Probably worth your while having a look, they have stores in Everton park Brisbane and Ashmore aswell as others around Australia

Here's the link.

http://www.anaconda.com.au/

Last edited by smudger_scfc; Sep 3rd 2008 at 9:08 am. Reason: added a link
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:39 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by theelliotts
We live on Bribie and there is Aquarius Kayaks on the island (not sure if they have a website but they do list some of their items on ebay.com.au), various outdoor type shops nearby in Morayfield. My hubby wanted a sit-on kayak to also for use for fishing in the pumicestone passage and canals - he shopped around and brought from Extreme Kayaks who manufacture them - they are local (ca 20mins drive from Bribie) in Caboolture. He got a package deal from them for just under $1000.

Hope that helps - any queries re this or Bribie, please pm.

Nina (from a lovely sunny Bribie - not bad for a winter's day!!)
www.aquariusseakayaks.com.au

http://stores.ebay.com.au/AQUARIUS-S...S-07-3408-2490

Jason from Aquarius frequently sells on Ebay cheaper than in the shop, you can still go view in the shop then bid on line.

He's excellent for lots of info and try before you buy etc..