Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when do sponsor's get money back?

when do sponsor's get money back?

Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Default when do sponsor's get money back?

Hi

we moved to perth in oct 07 and sister in law sponsored us and put in $5000 - she gets it back after 2 yrs but is it 2 yrs from getting our visa's validated or 2 yrs from when we arrived here to live?
What if we go home within 2 yrs (suffering the dreaded homesickness badly right now..) - does she still get it back?

just wondered if anyone knew....

thanks all,
Lisa x
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice
Default Re: when do sponsor's get money back?

Hi

I sponsored my brother and his family. They have been here 2 years in April.

I placed the $5,000 into the Commonwealth bank in November 2005, as they arrived in the April of 2006, it is deemed two years from the date of arrival.

I enquired with the bank and was informed that I and the bank would receive letters from Centrelink when the two years were up. Upon receipt of the letter from Centrelink, I will then be able to get the deposit back from the bank. When Centrelink send out these letters, I can only presume that it will be after 20th April. I only know that I cannot get the money until the letters have been sent.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Barney
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by POW148
Hi

I sponsored my brother and his family. They have been here 2 years in April.

I placed the $5,000 into the Commonwealth bank in November 2005, as they arrived in the April of 2006, it is deemed two years from the date of arrival.

I enquired with the bank and was informed that I and the bank would receive letters from Centrelink when the two years were up. Upon receipt of the letter from Centrelink, I will then be able to get the deposit back from the bank. When Centrelink send out these letters, I can only presume that it will be after 20th April. I only know that I cannot get the money until the letters have been sent.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Barney
that does help.

thank you.

I just need to know if we return to UK within the 2 yrs whether they still get the money back!? Hope so.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
that does help.

thank you.

I just need to know if we return to UK within the 2 yrs whether they still get the money back!? Hope so.
Not until the 2 years has passed.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I will be paying the $5000 myself, so if for any reason the money isn't returned, or anything, then it'll be me who loses out.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not until the 2 years has passed.
so regardless of where we are they still get the money back in 2 yrs?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:24 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
so regardless of where we are they still get the money back in 2 yrs?

I would say so cos if you went back to the UK you could possibly come back to OZ if your visa allowed it.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:25 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
I will be paying the $5000 myself, so if for any reason the money isn't returned, or anything, then it'll be me who loses out.
Personally I think thats the only way for it to be done.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Personally I think thats the only way for it to be done.
thanks all.

unfortunately we are not in the position to pay the $5000 otherwise we certainly would have.