Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:20 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Lack of responsibility on the roads drives me nuts here.

I can't belive there are no rules with regard to having your car checked out regularly, like an MOT. The only time you need to get a road safety certificate is when you come to sell the damn thing. There aren't even legal limits for tyre tread - the amount of cars you see on practically bald tyres is unbelievable. It's no wonder there are massive accidents and jams on the motorways every bloody day with the amount of sheared off tyres you see by the sides. And the amount of times I've been stopped at lights and somebody has come up behind me or in the next lane screeching to a stop because they hadn't been paying attention. Unbelievable.

Other than that I have to say the Ants do test my patience a bit. But everyone on here has heard me whine on about that more than enough times
The legal limit for tyres is actually 1.6mm.
Most States do require that cars have an annual safety check, before they can be registered.

I agree about the ants at the moment. They have never really bothered me for years, but this summer...well, I reckon someone has trained them to go for my feet !!

Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:31 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes, it is what she said. I was agreeing with her. Holy crap! Shot down for agreeing and shot down for disagreeing.
couldnt you just get shot down?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

Without wishing to offend, or be accused of sweeping generalisations, I would just like to say that I f***ing hate ALL mosquitoes.

Except the dead ones.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:04 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Mmmm, you might be right.............

That is SO true, we hear constantly about how fab it all is but many people here haven't even been to the North of Tas, let alone the big island and heven forbid out of Oz territories!! But then again, a lot of people in the UK constantly moan about how awful it is, country going to the dogs etc etc so perhaps it is actually quite nice to have a positive opinion about your home.

Sam
Yeah, it's something I really like about NZ and Oz- a sort of patriotism that is seldom seen in the UK. I love that my kids sing the Australian anthem at the start of every assembly and I think it's really great that they are raised to feel proud and responsible for the country they live in, provided it's in a global wordly sort of context.

Originally Posted by Sammy T

The decision not to give mothers paid maternity leave, when Kevin can easily dish out $900 here, there and everywhere (and my kids are older and I'm not having any more, I just think it's so backward compared to the UK)

Lack of insight into the huge water issue - put everyone on meters, that would stop the buggers watering their little patches of green lawn all night long (most of it just pouring down the road)

Poor use of solar energy, in a country that has plenty of opportunity to tap into it.

Sam
Those three above I totally agree with and the first just boggles my mind- I don't get it at all.

Originally Posted by viviennef
I agree with everything people say here - every single word.

and I still love it

Australia is like that old grannie in the corner at christmas who breaks wind all through the main course. Amuses me no end
The whole bogan thing makes my dh and I laugh no end- these modified utes driven around with such pride
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

1. Racism/Sexism
2. Blind patriotism
3. Hot weather
4. Lack of consideration for cyclists on the roads
5. Being interrogated by immigration when I'm an Australian citizen returning.
6. High cost of almost everything
7. Being treated like a thief for just leaving a store without buying anything
8. Very poor public transport
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:18 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devlin
1. Racism/Sexism
2. Blind patriotism
3. Hot weather
thanks, just remembered, too many cyclists on the road who think it is ok to ride 23 abreast
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
thanks, just remembered, too many cyclists on the road who think it is ok to ride 23 abreast
I am a keen cyclist. However, I hate riding on the roads in Sydney and ride my bike way less than I did in England. Too many idiots.

Also I don't really enjoy riding through endless boring Sydney suburbs just to get out into the countryside.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I am a keen cyclist. However, I hate riding on the roads in Sydney and ride my bike way less than I did in England. Too many idiots.

Also I don't really enjoy riding through endless boring Sydney suburbs just to get out into the countryside.
must admit I am nervous cycling here
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto as a scared cyclist.

As well as the drivers......in Brisbane I used to find myself taking evasive action for old style storm drains which could swallow up a whole wheel!

In Melbourne it's tramlines.....new in town so I keep finding myself almost in them but no disasters so far. The drivers seem more tolerant though.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:11 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The legal limit for tyres is actually 1.6mm.
Most States do require that cars have an annual safety check, before they can be registered.
Hmm, QLD must not come under 'most states' then as we've just renewed 2 regos without needing any checks... and surely without those annual checks the 1.6mm legal limit on tyres is kind of pointless anyway. You just got to hope to god you don't get pulled over or spot-checked at any point.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7319996]
QUOTE]

Bit of a contradiction here. The MOT type check is only when the car is re- or first registered. It's NOT an annual check. So, you can drive a car for years without anyone checking its brakes, tyres etc etc....
Kinda scarey !!
.......and one of the stoopidest things I've come across, particularly given the crap quality of the driving !!

Last edited by BATS666; Feb 25th 2009 at 3:47 am.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm quite amused that this thread is 3 times as big as "the best thing about living in Australia" thread.

Is there more things that people don't like than like??

Interesting.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

Nah it's cos we're British and can't help complaining. Hope no Australians are watching.......
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Devlin
1. Racism/Sexism
2. Blind patriotism
3. Hot weather
You do know that the Dept of Immigration reads this forum, and knows who you are ? Hence the trouble at the border

Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:14 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

The worst thing about living in Australia is that a decent pint of Guinness is 16000km away.

Apart from that, it's pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.