Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats the worse thing about living in australia

whats the worse thing about living in australia

Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default Re: whats the worse thing about living in australia

Originally Posted by kporte
some i agree, some i don't
Don't feed the Troll!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Only been here a few weeks but so far, apart from the obvious (so far from family etc) I would say the need to shower so thoroughly at the end of the day is rather boring. I feel so yuck by 5 o'clock, particularly if I've been doing after school activities etc and then you cook or prepare a meal and I just **NEED** about an hour shower!

It is annoying that you are endlessly brushing up sand off the floor- tough life
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
trying to garden in sand and 40 Deg heat
You are not supposed to do your gardening on the beach !

Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
OK - well look - you asked.

1. Terrible drivers and packed roads at ANY time of the day.
2. Shocking build quality of houses.
3. Lack of insulation / terrible heating (winter is REALLY cold).
4. Packed full of Brits
5. Lack of decent sport
6. NOTHING to do when it rains
7. Giving every sporting team a nickname (Wallabies, Kangaroos, Opals, Socceroos - I could go on) its childish.
8. Tattoo culture
9. Expensive.
10. Huge bugs

I chose to go........and I chose to leave again.
Did you read the question? It's what the worse thing is about Australia, not the UK.

The UK outdoes Australia by some margin on most of those criteria.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

wow thanks for the answers, i had no idea there would be so many posts when i finally read the thread today.

the things that you mention dont seem to bad and are things i kinda thought of.

im a southerner so hopefully wont have the accent issue although i am still british so that will still be a problem im sure. and i am a rubbish driver so im sure i will fit in fine there!!

when we came over for our reccie trip the worse driving i found was in melbourne with the trams and the fact that some turns didnt have arrows so do you go or just stay at the front of the line forever? i found the trains in sydney really dirty.

thanks for your help and the smiles you all gave me. i think im okay and know, as much as can be, what i can expect.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:04 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinH
7. Giving every sporting team a nickname (Wallabies, Kangaroos, Opals, ...
Yeah! Why can't they give them proper names like: The Gooners, The Blues, The Toffees, The Magpies, Pompey, The Hammers, The Irons, The Posh, yaddah, yaddah.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:21 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

ooo I thought of really bad things that bug me

left hand lane ending
zebra crossings on corners
junctions that work so you come off a slip road as other people come on the road from the same sliproad - if you live on the SCoast you will know what I mean!
people hogging the middle lane(mainly because they are scared the left hand land will end)
people driving slower in the right hand lane than the middle lane

its SO lucky anyone near my house is alive.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 11:43 am
Just Joined

fryer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sormesher
Hello,
i have always said i dont have rose tinted glasses about what a move to australia will be like and i think i have realistic expectations. but i cant help think that it will be a case of the grass is greener and i just wondered what the worse thing about living in australia is, and i dont just mean leaving family and friends behind, but every day living.
Not having Tescos LOL!!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:07 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Seeing everyone stare at you as soon as you open your mouth to talk (in the beginning I hardly spoke in shops, now I just don't care!)

Crap clothes shops (shoes too)

Really awful dress sense (fair isle knitted tank tops and shell suits)

Ridiculous prices of somethings (although it has stopped the choccie addiction)

Crap TV

Crap radio

Country and Western music

Isolation from the rest of the world

Not being able to nip over to one of the many wonderful European cities

Blimey, I was only going up a couple of things, I could go on........

But then I chose to come here, nobody made me, so I guess it's my problem

Sam
Just put you on my soon to leave list...........mm
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

After reading through all the posts I can't wait to come to Oz if these are the bad points! I'm not scared of bugs (even HUGE ones), currently live in France where the drivers are REALLY terrible and I have no dress sense so will fit in perfectly!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:32 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sormesher
Hello,
i have always said i dont have rose tinted glasses about what a move to australia will be like and i think i have realistic expectations. but i cant help think that it will be a case of the grass is greener and i just wondered what the worse thing about living in australia is, and i dont just mean leaving family and friends behind, but every day living.
Far too many Australians here.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:58 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

I ditto much of what has been said already. The main things for me were a feeling of being foreign, not getting Aussie humour, not having my humour understood much of the time. But important too was the beer, the lack of a local community (everyone keeps to themselves mainly) the poor supermarkets, the constant reminders that Australia is the best country in the world (that really gets so draining).:curse:

Having said all that we are selling up and moving bak there hopefully this summer. Fickle, moi? Never!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Australians always go on about how fantastic their country is?Why?Because most of them know no different because they havent been out of the country!lol
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:59 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Far too many Australians here.
far too many brits now,i'm afraid!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:02 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Australians always go on about how fantastic their country is?Why?Because most of them know no different because they havent been out of the country!lol
i've been out of the country and lived in both usa and london (7 years now) and i still think australia is fantastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.