Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's so good about Australia?

What's so good about Australia?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's so good about Australia?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Problem being of course is that all too many Brits are not educated in being able to drink to access and if do how to handle it.

The behaviour witnessed in UK cities(or Australia for that matter) is rarely seen in France or Germany or Spain
Bit of an Anglo Saxon/Celtic thing perhaps?
Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure, I've always managed to get a drink whatever the hour and it's even better now that pubs can stay open later. On our trip there last year, I was out till stupid o'clock on a Thursday and my wife was not impressed when I got back to our hotel. I find that late-night London can have a certain unfriendly, slightly aggressive edge to it. A lot of the late-night places are shitholes and people only go there because they can get a drink. Paris, New York, Berlin, Munich, Barcelona, San Francisco, LA kick London's ass for late-night fun.
Originally Posted by aussietobe
I was really disappointed with New York.
the shopping was the same you get everywhere, so was the restaurants and most of the time you had to pay 20USD just to get inside a bar. riding the metro was a most depressing experience (farse worse than London's underground)
Cities i would rave about include: Barcelona, Rome, Melbourne, Montreal, Hong Kong, New orleans (before Katrina.) And Edinburgh.
This is why I am not a huge fan of many world cities. I don't dispute the world city tag, and they are exciting to tour in but I am not a fan of chaos dressed up as living.

Much of Oxford street is a dump and has some incredibly down-market shops. Last July, I noticed that the huge ex-Virgin megastore was still empty and boarded up and the big Borders bookstore was no longer there. The main HMV store was still open and very good it is too.

I will be avoiding OS on my next visit.
The Oxford Street side nearer Mayfair was fine (West of Regent St) - the side East towards Tottenham Court Road was always a bit of a dump.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Sometimes I think you forget that I'm a born and bred Londoner. I dont know of one Street in London that has as many dimensions as Sydney Rd.... Again maybe you have to live here as long as I have... circa 25 years to know what I'm on about.

38 bars along it's length for starters. God knows how many eateries from all over the world... from Ethopia to Argentina and back to Afghanistan and most inbetween. There is even a Rastafarian section..... we both know how few West Indians there are in Aus.

Once you get past that... then and imagine what it's like to live here, experience this daily and how disappointed you are with life in other places. One cannot help but compare.

It's definitely the best Urban place I've lived and I'd love to hear nominations for better Urban Living. I'm struggling to think of any in London. Some places may have finer dining etc etc... but diverse I'm not so sure.
I know what you mean.

Ozzie also lives amongst this, it's not an outing to get to tourism central...

London may be bigger, may be busier, doesn't mean it does the urban thing better. Melbourne is perfect for me. There is so much to do and yet you can live 50mins away and feel you are at the other end of the UK from London. I couldn't go back to London, and after Melbourne I don't think living rural near Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham would cut it. And many of the cities in the Uk would seem too small though I like some of the UK's cathedral cities and fall foul of the same comparison that people make of Australian state capital cities compared to world ones.

It really is relative.

They certainly don't. Those of us whom enjoy the city vibe thingy will no doubt feel rather deprived in Australia.

Although as least Melbourne has a bit more than a passing resembilance to what city living can be.
It's amusing that people who live in Perth and miss true cities then grudgingly accept some recognition of Melbourne! If people are missing cities then getting out of Perth is probably the first, and for a few, maybe only thing to do.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 23rd 2011 at 2:09 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Also London and Melbourne have many different areas. I lived in Ealing a long time ago, 20 years. We had a ball during the early 90's Lots of bars, restaurants and all on our doorstep. I am sure it isn't that different now.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair I dont think London really needs to label itself as a world city, it has long been accepted as being one of the great cities of the world along with New York, Paris and one or 2 others.

I hear what you are saying, but having the majority of pubs closing at 11pm is not a good idea for a place that labels itself as a world city
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
When was the last time you lived in London?
I don't know about this guy but I lived in London until 2005. Restaurants and food = average. Shopping = average. Pubs = fantastic. Clubs = average.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I don't know about this guy but I lived in London until 2005. Restaurants and food = average. Shopping = average. Pubs = fantastic. Clubs = average.
Not interested in the discussion really, as its all about personal perspective and has been done to death over the years, but I would be interested to know that if you class the shopping in London as "average" where do you think is above average?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Not interested in the discussion really, as its all about personal perspective and has been done to death over the years, but I would be interested to know that if you class the shopping in London as "average" where do you think is above average?
I had over 50kg extra when we came back last year. I hate the UK but the shopping was awesome!
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I generally find shopping a bit of a chore, but I went wild in the aisles in Hong Kong...other Asian cities that people rave about I find a bit meh. Do like shopping in the UK as well. (my part of) Australia isn't bad in terms of what's on offer...it's just the prices.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

This is a problem that is totally overdone by the press in Australia - as it is in the UK. I've been in Perth nearly 6 years now, gone out in NB many times, and only seen it kick off twice. In the UK, if you read The Daily Mail and co, you would think that central Cardiff, Newcastle, Nottingham etc are like combat zones on a Friday night when in reality they are not. The cops in both countries make such a big deal out of this because they want to take the easy route and get out of their obligations, and to get more power for themselves.
There is a lot of truth in that. In 96 used to frequent NorthBridge very frequently and always on foot (public transport)
People used to harp on then about the violence and how they would never go there.
Remember thinking at the time that the media were pushing it with different agendas in mind.
To me then it was a bit of a kiddies night out. Young girls all dressed a similar often provocative way,lads trying to impress the girls and really a very ordinary entertainment hub to say the least.

Pretty normal that such an area there is going to be aggro as there is in Fremantle as well.
Seen a fair few punch ups there over the time I used to frequent but mostly a mixture of youth and booze talking.

Worst would have been a fairly big street brawl between Aboriginal and what appeared to be a mix of Uk backpackers and some local lads helping them out.
Even then the police were on scene within about five minutes so not sure any lasting harm was done.

Do hear that it can get bad after midnight but then that applies to a lot of places.

Perth is a slightly sinister place in the wee hours though. More than a few unsavory characters hanging about and often more than a little aggro.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

My OH found the clothes shopping to be excellent and purchased a pile of stuff at not bad prices,with the knowledge that it would be near to impossible to find and if could then afford in Perth.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;9450948]This is why I am not a huge fan of many world cities. I don't dispute the world city tag, and they are exciting to tour in but I am not a fan of chaos dressed up as living.

I actually feel what you describe happens more out in the burbs. In the sense of London I would say Illford, Romford, Croydon,and the like. Actually always found London a pretty safe city and that is with close on twenty years of living there.

Cities like Paris and Berlin also never a problem and have been out all hours sometimes pretty smashed and never once a problem.

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

I didn't feel to bad walking around London, it was dirty but I felt quite safe. I felt unsafe in Peterborough, Lancaster and Preston. All 3 cities were awful.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Most places have a uncertainty about them lately, especially when it comes to safety at night.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
To be fair I dont think London really needs to label itself as a world city, it has long been accepted as being one of the great cities of the world along with New York, Paris and one or 2 others.
Very true. To be honest London looks a far more attractive city these days than in the previous century.
London is the place so many of the young want to go and be in. It has one of the worlds most recognised brand names......
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
I didn't feel to bad walking around London, it was dirty but I felt quite safe. I felt unsafe in Peterborough, Lancaster and Preston. All 3 cities were awful.
Always found London safe and have walked there a lot at all hours as never had a car there.
Every time I return I must do close to a years walking that I would partake in Perth say in a month of being there.

Just love the street scene there,so many areas and places that can be covered on foot.

Do agree I felt" uneasier" in some of the insular cities over there,although never been to the three you mention.

But then I would be inclined to feel a similar "unease" here in Central Perth vary late at night as well.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

Always found London safe and have walked there a lot at all hours as never had a car there.
Every time I return I must do close to a years walking that I would partake in Perth say in a month of being there.

Just love the street scene there,so many areas and places that can be covered on foot.

Do agree I felt" uneasier" in some of the insular cities over there,although never been to the three you mention.

But then I would be inclined to feel a similar "unease" here in Central Perth vary late at night as well.
Never felt like that anywhere in Perth to be honest. Lancaster was the worst for me. Dreadful place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.