Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's so good about Australia?

What's so good about Australia?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's so good about Australia?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Sometimes I think you forget that I'm a born and bred Londoner. I dont know of one Street in London that has as many dimensions as Sydney Rd.... Again maybe you have to live here as long as I have... circa 25 years to know what I'm on about.

38 bars along it's length for starters. God knows how many eateries from all over the world... from Ethopia to Argentina and back to Afghanistan and most inbetween. There is even a Rastafarian section..... we both know how few West Indians there are in Aus.

Once you get past that... then and imagine what it's like to live here, experience this daily and how disappointed you are with life in other places. One cannot help but compare.

It's definitely the best Urban place I've lived and I'd love to hear nominations for better Urban Living. I'm struggling to think of any in London. Some places may have finer dining etc etc... but diverse I'm not so sure.
When was the last time you lived in London?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
For local residents it was a disasterous decision.
I disagree with that. When I was a local resident I was glad of the changes but then again, I'm one of the people that like having a drink when other people are in bed.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I know the late night places you're talking about but they're not the same ones that I am talking about. A lot of the establishments that I am referring to are cool and trendy.
Then be there or be square
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Then be there or be square
Hoxton Square?
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood this attitude and I have seen it many times
'No other country has Kakadu or the Kimberley or the Olgas. There's natural beauty all around the world, but ours is unique to this continent.' Obviously what is here is unique to this country just as what is in many other countries is unique to theirs. The Amazon, The Galapagos, Madagascar, The Pyramids, etc etc etc. I hear all too often how something is apparently unique to Australia when it clearly isn't, I suspect they rely on ignorance to a degree.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chris955
Kakadu or the Kimberley or the Olgas.
Been there, done that. It was fun at the time but would I return?

No.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hoxton Square?
London
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:09 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with that. When I was a local resident I was glad of the changes but then again, I'm one of the people that like having a drink when other people are in bed.
Sure it was probably convenient for quite a few people but it made life very unpleasant for plenty more.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by paulry
Sure it was probably convenient for quite a few people but it made life very unpleasant for plenty more.
I hear what you are saying, but having the majority of pubs closing at 11pm is not a good idea for a place that labels itself as a world city
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:46 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what you are saying, but having the majority of pubs closing at 11pm is not a good idea for a place that labels itself as a world city
I agree. But too many "late open" licences were granted in low or zero tourist concentrated areas. Airports are fine as are hotels and areas near tourist hot spots in the heart of the city, etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I've never understood this attitude and I have seen it many times
'No other country has Kakadu or the Kimberley or the Olgas. There's natural beauty all around the world, but ours is unique to this continent.' Obviously what is here is unique to this country just as what is in many other countries is unique to theirs. The Amazon, The Galapagos, Madagascar, The Pyramids, etc etc etc. I hear all too often how something is apparently unique to Australia when it clearly isn't, I suspect they rely on ignorance to a degree.
Think it's called marketing themselves isn't it? Due to the fact that Australia is far from the traditional tourist nations,which were all in North America, Europe or Japan until recent times there had to be a selling point

As has been rightly stated this country couldn't sell it's culture,art,cities besides Sydney icons,a wide brown land which was rather empty of anything of much interest.
Somewhere in the early eighties PR and advertising gurus started to package Australia with all the above in mind.

Done rather a good job as it became popular as a good priced destination and safe,being a good place for "soft" adventures.

Madagascar,is as I understand,one of the most unique places in the world for flora and fauna and has far more edge to it.
But the rough terrain,disease and other possible hazards put a lot off.
Also not well pushed and poor access and almost no English spoken all make it an option for only the more hardy travellers....but agree fully far more unique at the same time.

Pyramids are pretty well exposed. Was there last year and it didn't feel so unique with so many husslers about.

I guess when the dollar does finally take a dip then Australia will regain popularity but probably more with the huge potential Asian market than more traditional ones,perhaps?

Last edited by the troubadour; Jun 23rd 2011 at 1:14 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Problem being of course is that all too many Brits are not educated in being able to drink to access and if do how to handle it.

The behaviour witnessed in UK cities(or Australia for that matter) is rarely seen in France or Germany or Spain
Bit of an Anglo Saxon/Celtic thing perhaps?

Last edited by the troubadour; Jun 23rd 2011 at 1:28 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Problem being of course is that all too many Brits are not educated in being able to drink to access and if do how to handle it.

The behaviour witnessed in UK cities is rarely seen in France or Germany or Spain.(or Australia for that matter)

Bit of an Anglo Saxon/Celtic thing perhaps?
You are kidding right? Have you been in Northbridge on a Saturday night. Done it twice and it was like a war zone.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by verystormy
You are kidding right? Have you been in Northbridge on a Saturday night. Done it twice and it was like a war zone.
Kidding not. Just placed that comment in brackets in the wrong position.
Correction made.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by verystormy
This is a problem that is totally overdone by the press in Australia - as it is in the UK. I've been in Perth nearly 6 years now, gone out in NB many times, and only seen it kick off twice. In the UK, if you read The Daily Mail and co, you would think that central Cardiff, Newcastle, Nottingham etc are like combat zones on a Friday night when in reality they are not. The cops in both countries make such a big deal out of this because they want to take the easy route and get out of their obligations, and to get more power for themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.