Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats Darwin like?

Whats Darwin like?

Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future
Default Re: Whats Darwin like?

Originally Posted by njk435
Old news - last year to be precise. I have no doubt that trolleys can be a problem, but it is not one limited to Darwin, or even Australia.

From Stirling, WA:http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/home/s...g+Trolleys.htm

Maybe you have been living in Darwin too long so you don't see them anymore
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
Perhaps for the same reason that, for example, the City of Joondalup would consider having a 'Abandoned Shopping Trolleys Local Law Amendment'.

http://trans.joondalup.wa.gov.au/enews/v.aspx?n=44

I know where I live I see people who push their shopping trolleys all the way home...I'm fairly certain they don't return them.
I am sure trolleys go walkabout in every city but haven't noticed so many neither in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth .
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:25 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthine
I am sure trolleys go walkabout in every city but haven't noticed so many neither in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane or Perth .
Well I spent a lot of time working in Darwin last year and can't say I found it especially noticeable there.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mohogony
No l haven't been there, l've heard some people really like the place, l guess if your going to live in The N.T its the best place to live there, anywhere would have to be better then Alice Springs , thats a real hell hole.
Hello Mohogony!

Always fun searching for Alice Springs and seeing who's slagging it off. Seem to remember that you hadn't ever actually been here last time you were advising people to stay clear? Made it here yet or still just basing your opinion on what other people have told you?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

We spent a few weeks in Darwin last year after driving up from Alice and loved the place. We are heading back up for a few weeks later this year whilst my son attends the naval base there.
We loved it up there and considered moving, the only issue we were concerned about what how we would manage with 6 months of rain and the heat. I am not sure if, after a time, you get use to it?
The price of property was high but then land is hard to come by.
Maybe one day we will move there who knows
Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
We loved it up there and considered moving, the only issue we were concerned about what how we would manage with 6 months of rain and the heat. I am not sure if, after a time, you get use to it?
You do get used to it mate, we moved here at the start of the Build Up - September, we struggled through the wet using aircon very sparingly (an hour before bed then fans on '2' through the night. When the dry arrives, it is fantastic, cool mornings and breezy afternoons. No Aircon for 4 months minimum, then the Build up starts again, second year was a lot easier, a/c still gets a run up some nights, but not as much now.

There are some 'locals' who still use a/c all day - power bills must be shocking!

We're into our 4th year now and have no desire to move - I guess the place grows on you (or maybe it's just the mould!!!)
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 siblings who live in Darwin and both love it. I have been a regular visitor for sometime and have to say I could probably live there if I had to. Nothing wrong with the place at all.

The biggest issue without a doubt is the wet season. However, you do acclimatise after a while. The dry season is a wonderful time to be in Darwin.

As to the crime rates, murders etc. as has been clearly pointed out the majority of the crime in the NT is indigenous against indigenous. I have never felt threatened in my time in Darwin. That said I wouldn't wander the streets at night on my own, but I probably wouldn't do that too many places in the world.

Work, if you arrive in Darwin on Monday and don't have something by Friday you are not serious about being employed. Might not always be your dream position, but there are opportunities if you are willing to work for them and wait.

As to remoteness, I think that can be ruled out with the advent of Jetstar. We flew from Darwin to Hanoi last year for just over $200. There are always specials to other parts of Asia as well. Personally I would rather go to Singapore for a weekend than Sydney or Melbourne where it's just the same as the rest of Australia.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:21 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Mar 19th 2010, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Love Darwin, spent 6 months there (through the build up!) a few years ago on a whv.

Looking at going back to live but starting to have doubts regarding high cost of rent. I'm a teacher so won't be earning much - and am by myself so just my income.

Anyone out there teaching in Darwin, is it feasible to rent somewhere on a not-so-high salary?

Thanks.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uklass
Love Darwin, spent 6 months there (through the build up!) a few years ago on a whv.

Looking at going back to live but starting to have doubts regarding high cost of rent. I'm a teacher so won't be earning much - and am by myself so just my income.

Anyone out there teaching in Darwin, is it feasible to rent somewhere on a not-so-high salary?

Thanks.
Just get your rent SUBSIDISED like everyone else in the public sector here does, leaving us in the private sector struggling and paying sky high for rents.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Had no idea public sector rent was subsidised, guess that answers my question on high the rents must be.

Anone out there teaching primary in Darwin or Palmerston? Is it hard to get by?

Darwin has been a dream for 4 years,have already made many sacrifices, now its pretty much decision time for me. My heart is there already but my head has got many good financial reasons not to go....argh!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Pozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nicePozz is just really nice

How does the subsidised rent work?

If I was employed in a hospital/healthcare centre would that make me eligable?

I have never had assistance in my life as regards pay and rent but I may be able to get LAFHA and possibly assisted rent in Australia...
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...6&id=697473744

Just back from weeks holiday in Darwin. Absolutely stunningly rugged beautiful countryside but ohhhhhhhhh so humid!! Spent every day soaking wet if it wasnt the rain (tail end of the wet season) then it was the humidity! Agree property is VERY expensive, including to rent. The main street of Darwin has a fantastic multi cultural feel to it due to the back packers (oh i wish i had done the back packing trail when younger)
Have to say that whilst i really enjoyed the holiday I (and this is just MY observation) didnt feel very safe and wouldnt move there with teenage children.
Having said that - I plan to go back for another holiday but will wait until the dry season
Old Apr 11th 2010, 2:14 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Darwin is backpacker central, with an endless stream of young working holidaymakers jetting in for the 'authentic' Australian experience. Even the police in the Northern Territory dress like Crocodile Dundee!! It is so different even from the rest of Australia you're going to get culture shock in the extreme.

It is definitely not for everybody, and I would hesitate to make it the first place you try out in the country. Unless you are one of those people who does love it there (and there's a good chance you aren't) you may well find yourself with some very negative ideas about Australia very early on.

Originally Posted by Discovery
Remote - Not quite sure what this means. Darwin is 2 hrs by flight to Bali and 4.5 hrs to Singapore. There are more interesting things to do and places to visit in Asia than in the southern part of Australia.
Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Darwin is remote? I don't think so, Asia is so close.

Perth is remote!
It's all well and good to say this, but how often is a person actually going to fly overseas?

Darwin is extremely isolated - in many ways even more so than Perth because at least Perth is a bigger city with more to do.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:19 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire-n-tel
Hello Mohogony!

Always fun searching for Alice Springs and seeing who's slagging it off. Seem to remember that you hadn't ever actually been here last time you were advising people to stay clear? Made it here yet or still just basing your opinion on what other people have told you?
Mohogony has issues with everywhere except Victoria. Apparently every where else has horrifically hot and humid weather all year round, no greenery, no hills and nowhere to walk.

I don't think they've actually been anywhere further than the local supermarket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.