Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What you've done to make it good..

What you've done to make it good..

Old Mar 25th 2006, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you've done to make it good..

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've got a few (and it's interesting to see what could have happened).

When we first arrived we thought that we would live in the Dandenongs (near Melbourne). After a couple of days we switched out search to the Mornington Peninsula. Although the Dandenongs are really pretty (and a great place to visit), it was not the right place for us to live. The main reason was that it is heavily treed and we had no experience of what to do in a bush fire. Also the roads were not great for our (young) kids to cycle on. The peninsula was much better suited to our needs, wants and expectations.

At one time we thought about buying a hobby farm, but decided not to in the end. Even though I have often thought it would be nice to own a farm (back in the UK), I am fully aware of the reality of farming because I grew up on one which my dad and brother still run. It's interesting to see that the problems of farming in Australia are not unlike the problems of farming in the UK.

After that we did think of running some other small businesses, like a guest house or a winery, but we decided against it as neither of us had any experience in these areas and would probably be on a hiding to nothing if we went down those paths (or any other area we have no experience in).

Finally the wife wanted to buy a land and house package (or buy an existing land and shack) so we could build our ideal house. We eventually kicked this one into touch based on the Grand Designs programme in the UK. If people have problems building houses in a country in which they have lived all their life – imagine the problems you would get if you are new to the country.

As others have said, make an effort to make friends and be prepared for all the extra kissing they seem to do here when people meet up.

I liked this post. But have to admit, it amazes me when people worry about bush fires - you can plan for them, and even if you can't, or cannot fight, you can evacuate early. Anyway, glad you feel settled.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 5:30 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Good post.
I agree with those who have simply said to get stuck in to the AUSTRLIAN way of life. Accept ALL invitations ANYWHERE.

We had visions of us living on acreage with a ride on mower and all that. When we got here and saw how remote (and sometimes how ferrell) acreage can be, we thought it would not be a good idea to isolate ourselves just yet at the grand old ages of 34 and 37.

I try not to talk about England unless I'm asked or start sentences with "In ENGLAND, we do this or that...". I love being both picked on OR complimented by Aussies for my accent and quirky words.

Not sure if it's a Queensland thing or not but one thing we have found we have had to adapt to is dealing with complaints and general customer service in shops/general business environment. We find here, the more polite and easy going you are, the more someone will help, give you the refund or whatever. In Britain, I think the reverse is the case, you have to stamp and shout to eventually get what you want. You do that here, you won't have a hope in hell.

We may speak the same language and share history and all that but there are many cultural differences to take on board and that's part of the adventure.

Sunshine Sarah
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread!!!! Just makes me wanna go even more
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshinesarah
Good post.
I agree with those who have simply said to get stuck in to the AUSTRLIAN way of life. Accept ALL invitations ANYWHERE.

We had visions of us living on acreage with a ride on mower and all that. When we got here and saw how remote (and sometimes how ferrell) acreage can be, we thought it would not be a good idea to isolate ourselves just yet at the grand old ages of 34 and 37.

I try not to talk about England unless I'm asked or start sentences with "In ENGLAND, we do this or that...". I love being both picked on OR complimented by Aussies for my accent and quirky words.

Not sure if it's a Queensland thing or not but one thing we have found we have had to adapt to is dealing with complaints and general customer service in shops/general business environment. We find here, the more polite and easy going you are, the more someone will help, give you the refund or whatever. In Britain, I think the reverse is the case, you have to stamp and shout to eventually get what you want. You do that here, you won't have a hope in hell.

We may speak the same language and share history and all that but there are many cultural differences to take on board and that's part of the adventure.

Sunshine Sarah
Christ I'm seeing things. One of the most insightful posts I've seen in ages. You beauty. I know what you mean about politeness going along way. Lose the plot and lose the argument. Nice responses.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:54 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid I will repeat some of what others have already said.

I opened the door to Australia and closed that of the UK.

What happens and how things are done in the UK have little relevance to my life in Aus so generally I don't bother comparing and harking back to it. I work with other Poms who have been here longer than I but they still do that. It only leads to frustration and can breed unhappiness.

I prefer to accept Aus for what it is and how it operates. I'm still learning and enjoying doing so.

Yes, positive attitude.....yes, optomism. Why not ? They are essentials wherever we are and whatever we do. It's the old adage "smile, and the world smiles with you".

I do believe we can learn from every experience in life. We can take some good out of every situation but need to be receptive to the learning.

The natural state of the human brain is a negative one. It remembers bad events and constantly reminds us not to repeat them. It emphasises those negatives in our daily lives so we go around thinking "I can't do that. I mustn't do this".

If we can balance those negatives our lives would be much enriched. A problem would become a solution; stop using the word problem and replace it with challenge.

So in summary I came to Australia to be an Australian and not to change things or criticise$. I think that attitude is serving me well
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bix
Afraid I will repeat some of what others have already said.

I opened the door to Australia and closed that of the UK.

What happens and how things are done in the UK have little relevance to my life in Aus so generally I don't bother comparing and harking back to it. I work with other Poms who have been here longer than I but they still do that. It only leads to frustration and can breed unhappiness.

I prefer to accept Aus for what it is and how it operates. I'm still learning and enjoying doing so.

Yes, positive attitude.....yes, optomism. Why not ? They are essentials wherever we are and whatever we do. It's the old adage "smile, and the world smiles with you".

I do believe we can learn from every experience in life. We can take some good out of every situation but need to be receptive to the learning.

The natural state of the human brain is a negative one. It remembers bad events and constantly reminds us not to repeat them. It emphasises those negatives in our daily lives so we go around thinking "I can't do that. I mustn't do this".

If we can balance those negatives our lives would be much enriched. A problem would become a solution; stop using the word problem and replace it with challenge.

So in summary I came to Australia to be an Australian and not to change things or criticise$. I think that attitude is serving me well

Hear, Hear
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:33 am
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Someone read us a quote before we left that still rings in my ears:

"Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling"

Gradually (and thankfully), we have seen what it means to "not sweat the small stuff"

One of the posts above talks about being easy going in shops. Perhaps this applies to many more (if not all) aspects of life out here. I have found myself changing even in the short time since we landed. The first weeks are tough, but that makes your new lifestyle all the more sweeter once things settle down. Situations at work and at home that would have flared a temper or stress levels in the UK just don't seem to register. Your mind adapts (if nurtured in the right way) to concentrate on the more important things in life.

Nice thread Badge.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

"Jock", a springer x cocker spaniel which we picked up from the Animal Welfare League, helped us settle in pretty quickly. He's always be a great companion despite being a bit low on IQ! His playfulness and friendliness remind us much of our family dog "Jack" back in Northern Ireland.

Mrs JTL

Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I liked this post. But have to admit, it amazes me when people worry about bush fires - you can plan for them, and even if you can't, or cannot fight, you can evacuate early. Anyway, glad you feel settled.
I think most people arriving from UK will have no idea on how to plan and survive a bush fire. I find it amazing that people worry more about deadly snakes than they do about deadly fires.

Even though I am now a member of the CFA and know all about bush fire planning and suvival techniques I would still be reluctant to live in a heavily treed area. Although there is high chance of survival if you have prepared for the defence of your property, there is still a small chance that you will not. Additionally the problem of early evacuation is that your property is unlikely to survive - which means that when evacuating you have a tough choice of what to take with you. I hadn't thought about this until I saw the video of a famility evacuating and they were asking their daughter to choose her favourite toys. You could see this was a big dilemma for the kid as she wanted to take them all.

Old Mar 26th 2006, 4:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What you've done to make it good..

I think most people arriving from UK will have no idea on how to plan and survive a bush fire. I find it amazing that people worry more about deadly snakes than they do about deadly fires.

Even though I am now a member of the CFA and know all about bush fire planning and suvival techniques I would still be reluctant to live in a heavily treed area. Although there is high chance of survival if you have prepared for the defence of your property, there is still a small chance that you will not. Additionally the problem of early evacuation is that your property is unlikely to survive - which means that when evacuating you have a tough choice of what to take with you. I hadn't thought about this until I saw the video of a famility evacuating and they were asking their daughter to choose her favourite toys. You could see this was a big dilemma for the kid as she wanted to take them all.

Badge / Martin Luther -

Is there a website where you can see which areas are at greatest risk from bushfire and which are not?

A google search seems to bring up some maps for certain areas but I wondered if there was an Australia wide one, or failing that, a Victoria wide one.

Cheers

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Mar 26th 2006 at 4:46 am.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 7:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Badge / Martin Luther -

Is there a website where you can see which areas are at greatest risk from bushfire and which are not?

A google search seems to bring up some maps for certain areas but I wondered if there was an Australia wide one, or failing that, a Victoria wide one.

Cheers

Buzzy
Hello,

I haven't seen any maps but here is a site that gives details about previous major fires.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/DSE/nrenfo...60008B9EF?open

For geographical reasons SE Australia is the area most prone to bush fires. Victoria has the record for the most since records began.

The highest risk areas are those with thick forests. Rural and semi-rural areas have a lower risk. If you're thinking of the Mornington Peninsula then it's not a high risk area.

Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me the snake thing. Its as if people have never left home to go overseas in their lives.

Bush fires, our CFA station spends hours going through the whole flee or fight thing. People are rivetted.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What you've done to make it good..

Thanks for the responses ML and Badge. Most interesting.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2006, 8:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me the snake thing. Its as if people have never left home to go overseas in their lives.

Bush fires, our CFA station spends hours going through the whole flee or fight thing. People are rivetted.
In my experience, the number of ways of dealing with a fire situation is at least equal to the number of firies on the fire ground.