Reload this Page >

what is townsville like

what is townsville like

Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:49 am
Just Joined

dpbend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what is townsville like

Hello
My partner and I are currently looking at making the move to austrilia, I work as a paediatric nurse and my partner is a joiner. We have two children ages 10 and 8. We were initally looking at townsville as the area we wanted to relocate and we are currently wanting to know what people think of the area. We have been told that it is small and that there isnt much to do, by friends that have visited the area. We currently live in a small village in the UK and we have to drive to go anywhere so we are use to not having things to do on ur door step. We have also heard that the hoptimal service isn't the best and I wonder if there were any other nurses that have experience of nursing on townsville. We are also considering the gold coast n brisbane as well. Any information regarding these areas would be brilliant. Thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th 2017, 10:30 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what is townsville like

Originally Posted by dpbend
Hello
My partner and I are currently looking at making the move to austrilia, I work as a paediatric nurse and my partner is a joiner. We have two children ages 10 and 8. We were initally looking at townsville as the area we wanted to relocate and we are currently wanting to know what people think of the area. We have been told that it is small and that there isnt much to do, by friends that have visited the area. We currently live in a small village in the UK and we have to drive to go anywhere so we are use to not having things to do on ur door step. We have also heard that the hoptimal service isn't the best and I wonder if there were any other nurses that have experience of nursing on townsville. We are also considering the gold coast n brisbane as well. Any information regarding these areas would be brilliant. Thanks in advance
Townsville's population is over 180000 people so it is hardly small.....it is also considered the main city of Northern Queensland, It has a massive military base there and is a major regional centre.

Where you live will depend on where you can find work so see about that first

Before anything else, though, make sure you can get a visa....are you degree qualified as a nurse?

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 16th 2017 at 10:36 am.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

dpbend is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello
Yeh I have a degree in paeds nursing and currently have an interview this week for a job in townsville. We have done some research into areas to live and have heard good reviews regarding annandale area. Do the children from the military base have their own school or do the children attend state schools in townsville?
Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dpbend;12152999]Hello
Yeh I have a degree in paeds nursing and currently have an interview this week for a job in townsville. We have done some research into areas to live and have heard good reviews regarding annandale area. Do the children from the military base have their own school or do the children attend state schools in townsville?
Thanks[/QUOT

How hot are u looking for?

Even southern qld is low/ mid 30s riht now. Mid 20 lows overnight . Plus 80 % plus humidity. This will be jan feb march in the south. Worse up there. Hot most of year. Australian summers are brutal ony real break is june july up there.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:49 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

We have two children ages 10 and 8.
We are also considering the gold coast n brisbane as well.
Gold Coast all the way, especially if you have kids and are in the medical profession.

Check out post #11 in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...re-why-887555/

But of course at the end of the day it all depends on finding an open position and getting a visa.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
Do the childrenfrom the military base have their own school or do the children attend state schools in townsville?
Thanks
There are no military dedicated schools. The kids attend the state or private schools the same as any other
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:01 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

It has a great rugby league team, one hill, the KKK and a lovely new bypass.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Townsville . . . look up the term "going troppo." Townsville is also in crocodile/stinger country. A population of 180,000, by Australian standards, is large but Far North Queensland is isolated.

If there is an opportunity for you in the Gold Coast, that might be something to seriously consider. Especially with kids.