Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are th job prospects for teachers in the different states/cities/locations?

What are th job prospects for teachers in the different states/cities/locations?

Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:16 am
Just Joined

physicsteacher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are th job prospects for teachers in the different states/cities/locations?

Hi,

I'm a physics teacher hoping to emigrate to Australia. However unsure which part to move to. I have family in Tasmania but want to move somewhere where the job prospects are good.

Really appreciate if some teachers could tell me how hard it is to find work as a teacher in the various states and cities? Would I find it easy being a physics teacher?

For example in Brisbane would I have to supply for a year or two or even five years ? Or is physics a golden ticket where once my paper work was sorted I'd walk into a job?

We have only just decided to move there in the last week and I don't want to get to attached to an area and then struggle to find work there.

Sorry for so many questions. Just really excited about the move!

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 1:04 am
Just Joined

gordondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What are th job prospects for teachers in the different states/cities/locations?

Hi physics teacher!

I am a Maths and Biology teacher. Moved to Adelaide in 2007, took on a temp job for 2 terms at an independent school, and have never left. Really nice school teaching really nice students.

The state school system in South Australia - you have to jump through hoops to get permanent. Temp jobs - a teacher who I teach with worked at a state school, they were really happy with her. The school has no control over who the dept employs. The dept called her a week before school started to offer her a job, by which time she had a job. So to sum up the state school system - they are really letting their students down because they do not treat the teachers well enough. Just commodities to 'fill in gaps'.

In Australia the usual expectation is that you can teach two subjects. So most of the science teachers also teach Maths - though for many this is only to year 10.

So recommendation - apply for independent (I am at a Lutheran school).

Pembroke, another independent school is looking for a Physics - science teachers for term 3 (start late July)

https://www.pembroke.sa.edu.au/emplo...g-positions-2/
Old Apr 27th 2015, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: What are th job prospects for teachers in the different states/cities/locations?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We're hoping to move next year though. I currently work in a private school so that might give me an edge in getting a job in the independent sector.

Ideally we would like to pick a state and work on the coast somewhere there. We're very flexible where on the coast. Do you think that's a realistic ambition?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

gordondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Adelaide hugs the coast. Mote expensive at gkenelg but as you move south the prices get cheaper. All of the suburbs down to seaford now on a train link and expressway down to just out of seaford. So they are all well placed to the city. So yes a good range of housing prices available coastal. If you want to be on the actual seafront prices get silly.
Not sure about other states, but know that prices are very high in Sydney.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks. I've not looked into Adelaide yet. I will research it.
Old May 2nd 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a physics teacher from the private sector in the UK you will be shoo in for a job in Australia. Apply from the UK. Perth is nice.
Old May 2nd 2015, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

The school I work at (top independent school in Perth) employs a lot of UK trained teachers.
Old May 2nd 2015, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

stargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive me for the hijack OP but I'm a physics teacher too. Does anyone reading this thread know of an teachers who have been sponsored by their employer? Am thinking 457 visa.
Old May 11th 2015, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hgreenwell is an unknown quantity at this point

State school registration is a long and complicated process and varies between every state. My experience so far of the whole system is repetitive and time consuming...no agencies share information. I've been waiting 5 months to register in QLD still waiting and there are very few jobs here especially for international teachers.