Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

Originally Posted by Alborg
Can't really explain what I'm asking in one word but have always been fascinated by the psyche and social nuances within countries and I'm aware of my own having grown up in the UK e.g.. North/South divide amongst others, so interested in the views and prejudices between people and areas WITHIN Australia. For example how do different states see each other.

To give you an example I read this earlier

"Never confuse Queensland with Australia"

And I've no idea what it means. Could be anything and random as you like and not just state prejudices but would appreciate some of the most well known to help me climatise before my move
So from a Brisbane point of view my guess at the most popular extreme generalisations I hear are:

- Sydney is seen generally as a beautiful core surrounded by masses of the most ugly struggling looking suburbs in Australia. The place to go if you want to see Australia at its best and worst. It is also seen as incredibly expensive. The people are seen as brash, unfriendly braggarts.

- In the old days Melbourne was always depicted as a flat, rundown looking, grey, freezing place full of foreigners. It now seems depicted as having a great inner city, shopping etc, endless flat boring suburbia, bad weather and parochially pretentious people.

- Adelaide is seen as a nice place that is stagnant.

- Perth is not discussed much (in front of me anyway).

- Tasmania is seen as cold, quaint and natural and most say "will visit one day".

- Darwin as crazy, backward and humid but rarely discussed.

- Far North Qld as beautiful, backward and humid.

Of course these should be taken with a grain of salt as of course generalisations are often out-of-date, flat out wrong or just tendencies where parochial people like to make them seem like the whole overwhelming picture.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 25th 2015 at 2:11 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
..Many many English people live in Queensland. They write on here and other places about their poor experience of "Australia" about how there is nothing to do once you have exhausted the beach, the people are all inarticulate white trash bogans, there are no decent equivalents of Waitrose, nobody ever does any activities in there lives apart from driving to and from work yadda yadda yadda.

My point is that people shouldn't attribute these failings to "Australia". Because they are not the same experience that people who live in other parts of Australia have.
Suburban Australia is very similar in the outer suburbs of all the big cities. Almost all of the same complaints exist in every city when a person not suited to quiet suburban living moves to the outer ring or a regional city...for example Melbourne and Sydney are chock full of suburbs that would be miles down the list of someone who prefers more urban living. And the expense often forces people into them.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What are the social and psychological nuances within Australia

Originally Posted by fish.01
So from a Brisbane point of view my guess at the most popular extreme generalisations I hear are:
- Brisbane is seen as a place of endless warm summer days, beautiful beaches and stunning girls in bikinis sipping martinis at cafes looking over flawless turquoise seas.

I think this may be why so many people who move there are disappointed.

BB
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
- Brisbane is seen as a place of endless warm summer days, beautiful beaches and stunning girls in bikinis sipping martinis at cafes looking over flawless turquoise seas.

I think this may be why so many people who move there are disappointed.

BB
Yes, you would have to know nothing about Brisbane to see it that way. The surrounding areas maybe but not Brisbane....apart from the sun thing. It is far more urban than that and attracts more of the people in the region who prefer urban life in a city rather than seaside life...but then it's pretty clear from the comments on this thread that the most strident have unbalanced views of it but then city parochialism does that.

The main reason on here that I have read that people are disappointed (apart from personal issues) is when they live in outer suburbs nowhere near inner Brisbane where it is very suburban and can be quite isolating for a newcomer and dull if you like urban life. That is a Australia wide warning though. Don't be attracted by the lure of a cheaper big house if you don't like that life.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 9:36 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01

- Sydney is seen generally as a beautiful core surrounded by masses of the most ugly struggling looking suburbs in Australia. The place to go if you want to see Australia at its best and worst. It is also seen as incredibly expensive. The people are seen as brash, unfriendly braggarts.

- In the old days Melbourne was always depicted as a flat, rundown looking, grey, freezing place full of foreigners. It now seems depicted as having a great inner city, shopping etc, endless flat boring suburbia, bad weather and parochially pretentious people.
Sydney has some nice suburbs like Cronulla which are hidden gems. Of course heading inwards (in the westerly direction) things will deteriorate rather quickly. I wouldn't say the people are that unfriendly. People say the same about Melbourners but the ones I know are very friendly folk. I think this is more to do with city people vs more relaxed people who aren't part of the rat race.

Melbourne is the dumps in terms of the climate unless you ask a Tasmanian his thoughts on this, but it generally carries a positive connotation as a city. Most Melbourners who moved to the Gold Coast love it here and give their home city a hammering when it comes to the climate, but they also admit that upon moving it took them a good year to adjust and that they had thoughts of moving back during that time.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
Sydney has some nice suburbs like Cronulla which are hidden gems. Of course heading inwards (in the westerly direction) things will deteriorate rather quickly. I wouldn't say the people are that unfriendly. People say the same about Melbourners but the ones I know are very friendly folk. I think this is more to do with city people vs more relaxed people who aren't part of the rat race.

Melbourne is the dumps in terms of the climate unless you ask a Tasmanian his thoughts on this, but it generally carries a positive connotation as a city. Most Melbourners who moved to the Gold Coast love it here and give their home city a hammering when it comes to the climate, but they also admit that upon moving it took them a good year to adjust and that they had thoughts of moving back during that time.
Yes, both cities provide many people with a great life. Stereotypes have a grain of truth usually but they get ridiculous when people push them far beyond the truth to suit their own parochialism. We have our own share of parochial people here who are willing to do that as well but the majority I talk to are more balanced.

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 26th 2015 at 9:43 am.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's like nails on a blackboard.

As I say, using different pronunciations to deal with wildly different meanings is a sensible way to go, but 'dahta' is just 'getting it wrong'.

Same as prO-ject.
Would you like some paaaaaasta with that?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 4:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
with yo-gert for desert?!
Old Aug 28th 2015, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
with yo-gert for desert?!
Is it made by Nessles (UK version of Nestle)?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 5:55 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Is it made by Nessles (UK version of Nestle)?
I don't know -personally i've only ever heard of Nestle, so don't know what the other lot make
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't know -personally i've only ever heard of Nestle, so don't know what the other lot make

So had I - until I went to the UK!
Old Sep 4th 2015, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
that word makes me laugh every time.

Also when asked "how you goin?" or "hows your day been?" by some spotty checkout assistant I tell them that sadly today has been the worst day of my life. They don't seem to notice.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 6:17 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
that word makes me laugh every time.

Also when asked "how you goin?" or "hows your day been?" by some spotty checkout assistant I tell them that sadly today has been the worst day of my life. They don't seem to notice.
i know. Last week I told one that my cat had just died, he said "thats nice....."