Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What 'skills' to take?

What 'skills' to take?

Old Jun 13th 2006, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default What 'skills' to take?

Hi All

Fairly new to the forum, so be gentle.

Bit of background:

We’re looking to move across to Oz around this time next year, 138 visa application just going in as we speak, moving to Brisbane area to be with the wife’s family.

I work for a publishing company as a technical writer (construction information), my wife’s an interior designer of the cushion plumping variety.

I’ve been reading a fair few posts recently about job opportunities (or lack of them), see PegLeg’s post re Sunshine Coast, and just wanted to ask those people who’ve already made the move a question:

With hindsight, what skills do you wish you’d picked up previous to leaving the UK, which would have stood you in better stead in the jobs market, or alternatively which you think you could make a go of in a self-employed/small business capacity over there?

Medium term plan is for my wife and I to start an interior design business, but it seems to be the short term, the initial 6 months, where new immigrants struggle.

I’m not necessarily talking about formal qualifications here. I’m fairly good with my hands and have been thinking about doing a plastering / tiling course and getting a bit of experience over the coming year previous to making the move.

Your sage advice greatly appreciated.