Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what to ship and not ship to oz?

what to ship and not ship to oz?

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default what to ship and not ship to oz?

When people have went to oz,did they sell all there stuff or ship it over and if so what do you highly recommend taking over or buying here to take over as i was planning on getting stuff shipped over and as well getting the use of the container,was wondering what stuff was highly recommened buying in the uk vs buying in oz,as of difference in prices and maybe stuff not in oz yet.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 12:11 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to ship and not ship to oz?

Originally Posted by brian.w
When people have went to oz,did they sell all there stuff or ship it over and if so what do you highly recommend taking over or buying here to take over as i was planning on getting stuff shipped over and as well getting the use of the container,was wondering what stuff was highly recommened buying in the uk vs buying in oz,as of difference in prices and maybe stuff not in oz yet.

Bring it all, we wish we had, even the shit you can always get rid of it once here if you dont want it!!

Trust me!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam
Bring it all, we wish we had, even the shit you can always get rid of it once here if you dont want it!!

Trust me!!!
Interesting... I am finding this the hardest thing of all.. "What not to take" We have hired a skip this weekend and plan to fill it with the junk from the garage mainly, but I know we need to start looking at our other stuff with a critical eye and decide what to take.

Trouble is, you seem to accumulate so much stuff you take for granted over the years and replacing it all would probably cost a fortune when you add it all up, but shipping all the junk, seems like a waste of money.

The big stuff is easy, yes I will take my super king size bed, but not the wardrobe etc., the sentimental stuff like photos, the art we buy for each wedding anniversary, first clothes for the children etc have to come. But how do you put a value on other stuff like kitchen equipment, books, clothes you hardly wear, toys, bedding, ornaments, photo frames, bath towels, pots & pans, cd's, computer games, garden stuff, old magazines, toys, camping equipment, vases, shoes, boots, handbags, ....... I just don't seem to know where or when to start and to throw it all away (by selling/skipping/giving to charity) seems like such a waste too.

Amanda

PS - I just love stuff and never throw anything away, so this is going to be hard.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

A question for the ladies. I love boots and probably have about 20 pairs from little ankle boots to knee high boots, flat boots to 3" high boots, brown, black, pink, cream, fur, suede, leather, material boots. You name it, boot wise I have it. (I don't have any PVC kinky boots!)

Now I am hoping to go to Perth, will I ever get to wear any boots at all? Should I leave them all behind. Now I appreciate I will not get to wear my fur boots! but what about my leather or material boots?

Please help...... I don't want to ship them if I will never get to wear them, but I don't want to ebay them just yet (I have not worn some of them yet) if I could get to wear them.

A Boot Lover.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:20 pm
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda Jayne
A question for the ladies. I love boots and probably have about 20 pairs from little ankle boots to knee high boots, flat boots to 3" high boots, brown, black, pink, cream, fur, suede, leather, material boots. You name it, boot wise I have it. (I don't have any PVC kinky boots!)

Now I am hoping to go to Perth, will I ever get to wear any boots at all? Should I leave them all behind. Now I appreciate I will not get to wear my fur boots! but what about my leather or material boots?

Please help...... I don't want to ship them if I will never get to wear them, but I don't want to ebay them just yet (I have not worn some of them yet) if I could get to wear them.

A Boot Lover.

Bring them all, Boots are all in the shops at the mo as its winter!!

You will get the chance to wear them so bring them, i wish i had brought all of mine instead i got rid of loads of them, am so kicking myself now!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:38 pm
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

A Boot Lover.
NOOOOO don't get rid of them!! I am the same, I have crates and crates and crates of boots, shoes, sandals, flip flops you name it I have got it, I am not getting rid of one single pair, I love them all!!! If there is room on the container take them!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud ofdandn has much to be proud of

Hi, everybody we have applied for our visa this month and we are also looking what we're going to take with us. We have 3 children a 5, a 3 and a 2 year old so we have loads of toys. In Oz I would like to do child minding because of the age of my two youngest....so I don't know what to do with all their toys coz I will need them when I do the child minding ( I have my child care papers). and replacing will cost a fortune.
Next to all the toys there are of course all the other household. We're leaving most white goods and our old sofa

I'll let you know when the time gets nearer what we've decided to do.

best regards to everybody

Debby
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 2:55 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

A Boot Lover.
bring um...good boots are quite expensive here and you will use them....it gets quite cold in Perth... i was there in August 2001 and it rained a lot the winter doesn't last long... but just think how trendy and warm you will be and women will envy your boot collection...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

But how do you put a value on other stuff like kitchen equipment, books, clothes you hardly wear, toys, bedding, ornaments, photo frames, bath towels, pots & pans, cd's, computer games, garden stuff, old magazines, toys, camping equipment, vases, shoes, boots, handbags
I was once told that if you haven't used it, worn it, looked at it or thought about for 6 months chances are you won't miss it.

I'm using the above to decide on what to take and what to get rid of. It's hard though!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
We used the following formula...

Not used in last 12 months = Boot Fair/Throw it out
Not used in last 6 months = Only take if we're really going to *need* it

The trick here is to be ruthless.

You'd be surprised at the 'crap' that people buy at boot fairs. We've made a fair bit over the last few weekends. If we owned a car instead of renting one every time we did a boot fair we'd have even more cash to take with us.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

We also have made over £200 at the boot sale selling stuff we aint taking. Last week we completely sold out - someone even offer to buy our table!

I think you can do quite well at boot sale, because you are selling some pretty good stuff compared to the rubbish most people seam to take week after week.

I have got the removals man coming on Tuesday to give me a price and discuss what to take.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

paulsharon2kids is an unknown quantity at this point

should we take our dyson washing machine with us and tumble dryer . if they brake down could we get them repaired . or should we buy new ones in oz
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LauraC
I was once told that if you haven't used it, worn it, looked at it or thought about for 6 months chances are you won't miss it.

I'm using the above to decide on what to take and what to get rid of. It's hard though!
I totally aggree.
I am "hard" and will take very little other than the kids school work,first shoes e.t.c
I throw virtually nothing away from the kids but old tat kicking around the house? Who cares.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

peterp668 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulsharon2kids
should we take our dyson washing machine with us and tumble dryer . if they brake down could we get them repaired . or should we buy new ones in oz
I understand that Dyson vacuum cleaners cost $1200 Aus dollars. We are going to take ours with us. This may apply to washing machines and dryers too.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Bring your Dyson vacuum cleaner as they are very good at spares and repairs here. However I haven't seen the Dyson washing machine here so repairs might be a problem.
Don't bring wardrobes or stuff for wallpapering as very few homes have wallpaper and they all seem to have built-ins. Don't bring telephones as they won't work here and are fairly cheap to replace. Bring all your tools. The ones in Bunnings are really cheap but the quality isn't there. don't bother with hosepipes as we haven't been allowed to use them for ages. Ditto pressure washer - ours is still in the box and I don't know if we will ever be able to use it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.