Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What salary is good salary?

What salary is good salary?

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Check on that Stamp Duty..

S.A. From 1 July 2005, all mortgages taken out for the purposes of securing a loan that has been or is to be applied for home acquisition or improvement will be exempt from stamp duty.

It doesn't mention the larger Duty on Property Transfer.
http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/stamps/sdmort.html
http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/stamps/sdreal.html

On a $280k property in SA, you would be looking at $10,380. However, you do get $7,000 First Home grant to go towards that.
OK, fair enough.

I wouldn't receive the First Home grant myself, because they already gave it to me when I bought my first house in 2001.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
Vash, you may get a bump on the way I am afraid be prepared as I wasnt.
Mate, I've got a house in Australia already, and the missus has a house in the UK. I was born and raised in Australia (lived there for 30 years before coming to the UK 2 years ago) and my mother used to be a real estate agent.

In my book, that spells "prepared."

I put a deposit , infaact all my savings for the mere fact I have come here to live and work and make it work. Tossing around , should I , shant I, am I arthur or martha just isnt happening so I took the plunge, and I will moan and groan, but I intend to work hard and play hard with a positive attitude except when I wind my friends up from the bayside.

Plus them pictures look a bit cramped, where will I put my bowrider and jet ski?
No offence but what kind of person keeps his bowrider and jetski in the house? That's what sheds are for.

"Cramped"? Well, that house is about twice the size of the average West Midlands property, so who's counting?

dont worry about my mortgage, thats my problem, worry about whether or not in two years you will be happy with what you get at $170k now, as before you know it , what you really like maybe a million and out of your reach, maybe.
By that stage my missus' house in the UK will be worth a lot more, as will my house in Tassie.

I am not sure how old you are, but I am only 30, there are people older who, are up the ladder due to age, worked longer etc, so they get the deserved rewards of no mortgage, or reduced one, big boats, nice cars etc etc, maybe my time will come.
I'm 32 years old, and I am not a rich person. Nor is the missus

Why do you think British Expats have shed loads of money?
I don't; I just find it hard to believe that (a) many have none, and (b) those with none see nothing wrong with the idea of shouldering a $350k mortgage as soon as they arrive down under.

on another note

If your mortgage free anywhere in the world , you are half way out of the rat race, but the majority would only find something else to spend it on!!!!

guarenteed...
LOL, too true mate!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default Re: What salary is good salary?

Originally Posted by samnrob2
oh go on then...I'll say it...

Cost of living lower in Australia? No - a famous myth.

R
Maybe not a myth?! According to the March 2005 figures for cities only Sydney is really up there in COL terms at rank 20. London is 3rd!

Most Aus cities are pretty low down below UK cities.

See table here
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
But why? It seems that all I ever hear is "Wages are so much higher in the UK... cost of living is so much cheaper", etc. etc. If this is actually true, then people with no equity or deposit should be few and far between.

And yet... all of a sudden I'm hearing about people with no deposits.

Could it be that Great Britain is not the economic paradise of popular legend?

Sure, but...

(a) if they are renting in the UK, surely they're saving money as a result?

(b) even if their equity is fairly low, it's at least better than nothing.

(c) if they know they'll have nothing for a deposit when they arrive in Australia, they shouldn't be buying a house in the first place! It's more sensible to rent for a year, save a few pennies and build up a modest deposit for a modest house (easier to do in Australia, since tenants don't pay water rates or council tax.) Why drag yourself down with a huge mortgage millstone as soon as you enter the country? That doesn't make any sense!

(d) a lot of people make the common mistake of buying a car that's more expensive than they really need (thereby locking themselves into a credit debt at a rate far higher than you'd get on the average mortgage) when they would be better off buying a cheaper car for cash, and putting any extra money towards a mortgage deposit.

When I lived in Acocks Green, my daily drive to work took me past row upon row of shabby terraced and semi-detached houses with gorgeous cars out the front. You can bet your last penny that the majority of those cars were obtained via hire purchase or a personal loan. That's thousands of pounds poured down the drain - money which could (and should!) have been spent on improving the family home.

I bought my own car (a '94 Mazda Astina) for cash from a bloke in Handsworth. It cost me £550. He was selling it because he'd just got himself a nice swanky Merc - not brand new, but new enough to set him back £9,000. I spent half an hour in his house while we signed paperwork and chatted over tea, and in that time I saw more than a dozen places where £9,000 would have been better spent. (His bathroom had exposed plumbing and cracks in the walls, while the carpet in his living room was nailed to the floor over an older carpet which was peeking out from beneath the edges!) :scared:

People will always find the money for the things they want - provided that they want them enough - and you don't need to spend the equivalent of a mortgage deposit on emigrating to Australia.

True, not everyone can live in Adelaide - but they'd be mad to rule it out completely. Yes, people's idea of a decent suburb are certainly different, and I myself am astonished at the preference that some people seem to have for busy, crowded suburbs in overpriced areas.

Why not consider a more realistic property in a quiet area? Talk about value for money!

The point I am making here is that nobody is required to spend a fortune on their house in Australia; it just isn't necessary. And if people don't have a deposit, they shouldn't be lashing out on £350k mortgages. That just doesn't make any sense.

We don't have kids now, but we are planning to start as soon as we get over - and possibly earlier. So location, schools, size of the house etc. would be very important and are in fact on the top of my list.

Fair point!

If that's the case, then people who find it a struggle should find somewhere else to live and move to Brisbane when they can afford it properly.

I can't. There's absolutely no reason why he has to have a $350k mortgage. No reason at all. (In fact, he's made this very clear himself, in an earlier post. He had other options. Everyone does.)

Why do people want to live in Brisbane anyway? I honestly can't see the attraction.
The answer to almost all of your questions & comments you made is "because everyone is different & people have different circumstances & needs".

Sorry Vash, but the phrase that spring to mind when I read your post is "narrow-minded" .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jan 11th 2006 at 9:53 pm. Reason: add a bit
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Sue Atkinson is on a distinguished road

Could someone out there give me an indication of a good, time served, 15 years experience car mechanic's expected salary in Brisbane? Probably at a dealership as opposed to an independent.

Thanks
Sue
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Buzzy, you could survive OK, you wouldnt be rolling in it, but you wouldnt be dirt poor either.

IMO in your earlier scenario - mortgage free, holidays every year, 2 school aged kids, a boat etc - you would be comfortable on $80K.

That's our experience anyway .
I agree totally, even in Melly you'd be doing ok (providing those holidays wern't ALL going to be long haul
Old Jan 11th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Vaz wrote

"By that stage my missus' house in the UK will be worth a lot more, as will my house in Tassie. "

EXPLAINS Everything
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

(a) if they are renting in the UK, surely they're saving money as a result?

I was renting in the UK - we had to sell the house when I split with my ex, we had negative equity, which we also split! I am still paying that debt off. I then had to rent as there is no way that in Brighton, on an average wage, one person could buy a decent place to live without having a mortgage with repayments too high to keep up!
So I came to Aus with no equity, no savings, nothing.

Renting here is cheaper than buying, in the short term (yes, I know in the longterm its better) and on our wages we can't afford to buy anyway, esp with no deposit, and me still paying the loan that cleared the original negative equity!
We can't see any way we will be able to buy as prices are rising faster than our wages, and while we live reasoinably comfortably, with a mortgage to pay we would struggle.

People will always find the money for the things they want - provided that they want them enough - and you don't need to spend the equivalent of a mortgage deposit on emigrating to Australia.
Not always, sometimes dreams are just too costly.........even if your dream is only to own a house with a pool......

Why do people want to live in Brisbane anyway? I honestly can't see the attraction.
Cos thats where my husband and his family are based, and with no savings to back us we would be pushed to move elsewhere anyway.

I'm not having a go at you, Vash, don't think that, but as others have said each to his/her own - we all have our own thoughts where houses etc are concerned, and everyones resources when they arrive are different - as are everyones reasons for coming here.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:09 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Okay, as a nurse who supports family of 6 here in UK on 20k .... is it possible to live as cheaply as we do here? We do loads of 'free' stuff , that's easy with smallish kids.. we read a lot (I take it there are libraries) we walk, we play cricket/footie (not organised, just casual in the park).. we run a clapped out old bedford midi... we do everything ourselves around the house... We shop value brands for virtually everything (apart from shoes for the kids) and we camp for holidays... As for clothes, do they have charity shops in Oz? we eat takeaway maybe once a month...

Life is as expensive as you make it...
I work at a private hospital as a nurse here and basic pay is around $46,000, but with penalties ( thats what they call unsocial hours, overtime etc here ) I get about $55,000. So sadly nurses in Oz get crap pay just like we did in the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meelie
I work at a private hospital as a nurse here and basic pay is around $46,000, but with penalties ( thats what they call unsocial hours, overtime etc here ) I get about $55,000. So sadly nurses in Oz get crap pay just like we did in the UK.
LOOK AT NURSING IN CALAFORNIA, I HEAR THEY ARE IN A BIG DEMAND $100K US, HOUSING, 3 DAY WEEKS ETC,

IT WAS ON ABC RADIO LAST WEEK, AND THAT IS A GOOD NEWS PROGRAM IN THE MORNING.

VASH YOU ARE NORROW MINDED, NOT EVERYONE HAS TO DO OR AGREE WHAT WITH WHAT AND HOW YOU DO IT.

YOUR HOUSE STILL LOOKS SMALL, AND BY THE WAY MY GARAGE, IS BIG ENOUGH, TO HOLD MY BOAT, JET SKI AND AT LEAST 3 CARS, A POOL TABLE, JUKEBOX, PING PONG TABLE,

MY MORTGAGE REFLECTS WHAT I HAVE, SO I DONT COMPLAIN TOO MUCH

EXPLAIN WHO "THEY" ARE?
AN ALIEN RACE, I DONT BELIEVE YOU ONE BIT IN ANYTHING YOU SAY AS I THINK YOUR FULL OF SHITE.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:08 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=goldcoastblue]LOOK AT NURSING IN CALAFORNIA, I HEAR THEY ARE IN A BIG DEMAND $100K US, HOUSING, 3 DAY WEEKS ETC,

QUOTE]

Thanks for that, makes me feel a whole lot better!
We did consider emmigrating to the states but it was such a hassle and although we applied to do the exams, the board over there still hasn't managed to sort out our appicaton and get all the necessary paperwork required. We applied about 2 1/2 years ago! Oh well, money isn't everything, at least we have a fairly decent way of life here. Much better than the one we had in the UK. We can save quite a substantial amount of money and will have a large deposit to put on a house when we eventually buy so we will have a small mortgage. Couldn't achieve that in UK. We are happy, thats the main thing.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be that Great Britain is not the economic paradise of popular legend?

:
That's what you want to believe Vash !

I was thinking yesterday about the cost of living in Australia.

Other than where the government has some significant involvement (e.g. duty on petrol, stakes in energy companies (subsidies of utility bills?), rates etc, how many things are actually cheaper in Australia than the UK?

Don't think there are many - I got stuck after takeaway pizzas...
Old Jan 11th 2006, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
That's what you want to believe Vash !

I was thinking yesterday about the cost of living in Australia.

Other than where the government has some significant involvement (e.g. duty on petrol, stakes in energy companies (subsidies of utility bills?), rates etc, how many things are actually cheaper in Australia than the UK?

Don't think there are many - I got stuck after takeaway pizzas...
& Hungry Jacks.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:32 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

(a) I find it hard to believe that the average British ex-pat would have absolutely nothing for a deposit. Surely this is a very rare scenario indeed.
Unfortunately its a bit narrow minded to label every expat in the same way, I would imagine deposits range from $0 to $millions, I would imagine the average would be under a $200K deposit, and probably quite a bit under.

(b) It's possible that your ideas about what constitutes a half decent area are somewhat different to mine.

I am planning to live in the Adelaide hills, which I consider to be an excellent area with very reasonable prices.

I am hoping to buy a 2 to 3 bedroom house at about $280,000 max in a suburb like Bridgewater, Aldgate or Stirling. That would get me something like this...

I consider this to be a nice house in a nice area. The exterior is nothing to write home about, but that's not important; what's important is the interior and the location, both of which come up trumps.

After selling our house in the UK and my investment property in Tassie, my wife and I would have about $120,000 for a deposit. Even allowing an absurdly generous $10,000 for fees (stamp duty is being abolished in South Australia, so no worries there) this would still leave us with a mortgage of around $170,000 if we bought that house.

I would also consider what your looking at to be half decent, but I cant imagine that is the normal type of property that the majority of expats are looking at.
Everyone is different and has different goals and ambitions, so likewise i know that not everyone is looking for the same as me either. But I would think there are a lot of people coming over that have a realistic expectation that they are only going to have to spend $280K to get what they want.
I would think most would now be lucky to only spend $100K over that in Perth now.
And for me that would only get something relatively average, it wouldnt satisfy what I would need to up sticks and move across the world to somewhere relatively unknown.
If I arrived now I would struggle to find somewhere for under $700K that I would be happy with.

Within reason the amount I would be prepared to borrow wouldnt really come into it, if it happend to be $100K or $500K. It would be whatever it took to live what/where I wanted (again being realistic and within reason)
At the end of the day its a fair assumption to say that the more you borrow the more your asset is likely to appreciate.
So in a market growing like WA's even if for some unforseen circumstances we suddenly couldnt repay the mortgage I would rather sell a property that now had over $500K equity in it than one that only had $150K because I was scared off my original mortgage.

Each to their own I guess
Steve
Steve
Old Jan 12th 2006, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be put off posting Vash mate, you bring a lot of sense ordinarily, but you've said a few things that are particular to your situation only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.