Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What salary is good salary?

What salary is good salary?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What salary is good salary?

I wouldn't even set the alarm clock for anything less than $80K ...
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:46 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I wouldn't even set the alarm clock for anything less than $80K ...

I think really at the end of the day, it depends where you live in Oz and what you do for a living.

Out of interest, what would you do for 80k?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:53 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything ... absolutely anything ...

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I think really at the end of the day, it depends where you live in Oz and what you do for a living.

Old Nov 10th 2005, 12:32 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claire edwards

Depends what you want me to do?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Average family income in the west is $50,000
at last a sensible reply
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:12 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hang on a minute, I thought cost of living was supposed to be lower in Oz. You are saying you wouldn't get out of bed for less than $80k which is aboot £33,000. Someone else on here is saying that it should be at least $90k which is £37,000.

I earnt £25,000 in england and that was more than enough. Surely an average person doesn't need to earn these amounts to sustain a life? Cost of living lower you say?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:17 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joeboy_UK
Hang on a minute, I thought cost of living was supposed to be lower in Oz. You are saying you wouldn't get out of bed for less than $80k which is aboot £33,000. Someone else on here is saying that it should be at least $90k which is £37,000.

I earnt £25,000 in england and that was more than enough. Surely an average person doesn't need to earn these amounts to sustain a life? Cost of living lower you say?
Light fuse at arms length......stand well back...........
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:32 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

oh go on then...I'll say it...

Cost of living lower in Australia? No - a famous myth.

R
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
oh go on then...I'll say it...

Cost of living lower in Australia? No - a famous myth.

R
Okay, as a nurse who supports family of 6 here in UK on 20k .... is it possible to live as cheaply as we do here? We do loads of 'free' stuff , that's easy with smallish kids.. we read a lot (I take it there are libraries) we walk, we play cricket/footie (not organised, just casual in the park).. we run a clapped out old bedford midi... we do everything ourselves around the house... We shop value brands for virtually everything (apart from shoes for the kids) and we camp for holidays... As for clothes, do they have charity shops in Oz? we eat takeaway maybe once a month...

Life is as expensive as you make it...
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:27 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I'm hoping that i can live on minimum $70k as a chartered QS in Brisbane
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:31 pm
Banned

joeboy_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

well you'd bloody well hope so, else i'd be staying in blighty if i were you. You can live really well here in canada on $50,000 canadian thats £25,000
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:36 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

well you'd bloody well hope so, else i'd be staying in blighty if i were you. You can live really well here in canada on $50,000 canadian thats £25,000
That would depend on where you lived in canada and dont forget federal and provincial income tax.
I used to have to gross $1800 a week to take home $1000 (1994) in newfoundland where the provincial portion of income tax was 69% of the federal amount, maybe it would be lower in ontario.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

What's a decent salary for an IT Senior Deveper in Melbourne?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Okay, as a nurse who supports family of 6 here in UK on 20k .... is it possible to live as cheaply as we do here? We do loads of 'free' stuff , that's easy with smallish kids.. we read a lot (I take it there are libraries) we walk, we play cricket/footie (not organised, just casual in the park).. we run a clapped out old bedford midi... we do everything ourselves around the house... We shop value brands for virtually everything (apart from shoes for the kids) and we camp for holidays... As for clothes, do they have charity shops in Oz? we eat takeaway maybe once a month...

Life is as expensive as you make it...
There is nothing to stop you doing the same on the Aussie salary. There will be costs that you won't incur in the UK, medical perhaps, but other things will be cheaper - providing you are sensible and live like you say you do the living is probably comparable.

There are perfectly good op shops in Australia. Personally, I think a good salary is AUS70k and above. An adequate salary would be about AUS50k. You can get by on less if you live like the poster above. Ideally 2 incomes are necessary to fuel modern expectations of 'lifestyle'.

To answer the question from the software developer, and to give people an idea of what 3Legs's 80k is all about, a senior developer would get at least AUS80k in Melbourne, probably more.

One last thing. Forget about all this conversion business. It does not mean a thing.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

stokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant futurestokesy43 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
There is nothing to stop you doing the same on the Aussie salary. There will be costs that you won't incur in the UK, medical perhaps, but other things will be cheaper - providing you are sensible and live like you say you do the living is probably comparable.

There are perfectly good op shops in Australia. Personally, I think a good salary is AUS70k and above. An adequate salary would be about AUS50k. You can get by on less if you live like the poster above. Ideally 2 incomes are necessary to fuel modern expectations of 'lifestyle'.

To answer the question from the software developer, and to give people an idea of what 3Legs's 80k is all about, a senior developer would get at least AUS80k in Melbourne, probably more.

One last thing. Forget about all this conversion business. It does not mean a thing.
Thanks for the figure. I am actually hoping for the probably more part !!

For me it's not a case of converting back to my salary here but more a case of what my market value is in Australia and making sure the company isn't shafting me. But having said that because I'm transferring inter-company and into the same job code they do look at my current salary in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.