Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Old Sep 10th 2013, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by oxana
Margaret thank you very much for your advice!! when you have the information you can make a plan, and when there is a plan - it all happens quickly and easily.
Unfortunately we can not pay for 6 months. forward, so we'll just hope all will be well.
Goodluck, you'll get summit, there is plenty of landlords ou there😊
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

oxana is an unknown quantity at this point

please answer who knows ...
What about the electricity in the house, already have .. and gas ...
What companies are recommended?
and also a phone, internet and TV??
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

oxana is an unknown quantity at this point

And another question, I looked at the school site, they write that the kids who go to school have to bring --- child Immunisation Certificate, I went to the GP, but they don't know about this, please advise me - where to get it?
Old Sep 15th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

And another question, I looked at the school site, they write that the kids who go to school have to bring --- child Immunisation Certificate, I went to the GP, but they don't know about this, please advise me - where to get it?
At the moment you won't be able to, however in Australia there is the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register, and parents get sent an immunisation record.

As you're in the UK the best thing is to probably ask your GP/practice to produce a letter stating what immunisations have been given and when - once registered with a doctor in Australia give them this letter and they will forward it onto the right people.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:34 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

please answer who knows ...
What about the electricity in the house, already have .. and gas ...
What companies are recommended?
and also a phone, internet and TV??
Hi,

when you get offered a rental, there is a tick box that asks if you would like the agent to organise the water and elec/gas. I think they automatically connect you to AGL in Melbourne. Its a reputable company and much of a muchness - there all about the same price.

leave connecting the phone until you move in and settle, you'll have enough to do without that. you can find info and compare phone/internet plans on www.broadbanguide.com.au

Good luck!
Old Sep 28th 2013, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by di90
Hi,

when you get offered a rental, there is a tick box that asks if you would like the agent to organise the water and elec/gas. I think they automatically connect you to AGL in Melbourne. Its a reputable company and much of a muchness - there all about the same price.

leave connecting the phone until you move in and settle, you'll have enough to do without that. you can find info and compare phone/internet plans on www.broadbanguide.com.au

Good luck!
Personally I would let the agent do as little as possible. You got to ask yourself 'what's in it for them'. Being the lowest of all lows, agents would not provide this service out of the goodness of their heart.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:58 pm
finally in melbourne

di90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura aboutdi90 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Beoz
Personally I would let the agent do as little as possible. You got to ask yourself 'what's in it for them'. Being the lowest of all lows, agents would not provide this service out of the goodness of their heart.
I used the service when I arrived in Australia as I really didn't have the energy/knowledge to source out my own elec/gas company. I didn't have any probs. The agents probably get a commission from the company.

Last edited by di90; Sep 28th 2013 at 11:59 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

As Roaring mouse mentioned we took along our list of immunisations from our UK doctor. Our Oz GP then updated their records which flowed on to the medicare system. You once registered get reminders about upcoming immunisations required.

Allow 10 days for broadband/telephone connection.

- TPG are not too bad
- Telstra expensive and not always providing best service
- Vodaphone just underwent large pain of new network upgrade and lost loads of customers who suffered downtime and calls dropping off.

Most people I know have a naked line which means no landline just a line for broadband. All other calls are done via Skype or mobile.

Gas/Electricity should already be connected its more a case of choosing the retailer with whom you will be paying the bill. Water is pretty much dependent on who the area is looked after.

As a renter you don't pay council tax. There is also no tv license fee (reflection of quality).

Estate Agents will outline times for viewings but during week they are happy for you to take key and view - usually leaving a $50 note and allowing them to take note of your drivers license. Just on that get your drivers license sorted - its a quick visit to local Vic Roads and pay for either 3 years or 10 years. Great ID to have for all sorts of things so give this priority.

Pay attention to different times in the areas you are viewing. Amazing how quiet streets become rat runs to avoid railway crossings and school zones.