Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Old Sep 7th 2013, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

oxana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Hi, please help those who already have experience!
we arrive in Melbourne in 8 weeks and although we already have accomaodation for the first 4 weeks, I just want to know step by step what the whole rental process is in Australia.
I read a lot of information on this forum, but I still have a lot of very important issues that I would like to know.

After a visit home, inspektion -
How many days to wait for a decision?
If the landlord has chosen you and said yes, how long does the process of paperwork, when you can start to live in this house?? How many days maximum and minimum?
How many days do you need to connect the electricity, gas and telephone?

Last edited by oxana; Sep 8th 2013 at 12:14 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by oxana
Hi, please help those who already have experience!
we arrive in Melbourne in 8 weeks and although we already have accomaodation for the first 4 weeks, I just want to know step by step what the whole rental process is in Australia.
I read a lot of information on this forum, but I still have a lot of very important issues that I would like to know.

After a visit home, inspektion -
How many days to wait for a decision?
If the landlord has chosen you and said yes, how long does the process of paperwork, when you can start to live in this house?? How many days maximum and minimum?
How many days do you need to connect the electricity, gas and telephone?
After the landlord says yes, which is usually after credit checks, etc, it takes long as it takes for you to sign the contracts and agree a move in date. Of course you have to bare in mind the tenants may not have to vacate for a week or so. Or it may already be empty.

I looked at 2 rental properties yesterday. One property was empty as the place had just received a new owner and the other place the had the tenants moving out that day. Both were available to rent next weekend. So the problem we have is that we are on 21 days notice.

If you are nimble you can often move in pretty quickly and a landlord doesn't want to be without rent.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

go onto the realestate.com.au website, and learn how to do an online application (which can used to apply for more than one property).

When you go for an inspection (as applications cannot be accepted until after inspection), let the estate agent know you want to go ahead with your online application for that property, they should be able to go to the office and access it. However, as i have experience of this, it is also safer to print out your application and take it with you to inspection and give it to the estate agent.

I was at the hairdressers on sat and the hairdresser was very miffed that she was unable to secure a successful application for rental properties in glen waverley, due to the fact she had no rental history and also had no idea how to do the online applications so peeps were getting in faster than her. Also she said she was unable to compete with the fact applicants were offering a year rent in advance. (when we arrived we offered six months in advance, apparently this it its legal to offer rent in advance or more rent than asked, but ileagel for the landlord to ask).

After the inspection, you will know quickly. We inspected on the sat and knew by monday be had the rental. We had to give 28 days notice on our old rental and the estate agent then told us that they had an applicant willing to move in straight away,this will be a huge advantage for you, that you can move in straight away, especially if the property is empty. (as Beoz says they want peeps in quickly, and the rental was empty), however if could have it if i could pay another months rent, which effectively meant i had to pay a bond, two months rent and a months rent on the place i was still in. This was going to total 8,661 dollars I said to the estate agent the other client was welcome to the property as i could not afford a months rent when i would not be staying in the property, so goodbye says me. Within 5 mins they were back on the phone saying it was ok, i could have the rental without an extra months rent. (thieving barstewards)

It will, of course , depend on the suburb, as believe me its all about the suburb in melbourne

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 8th 2013 at 6:54 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Margaret raises a good point. If you are in a position to offer a few months in advance do so. Many landlords wont take it but it does demonstrate you have money to pay the rent. They also say offer a few dollars more than the advertised weekly rent but in cases where you are the only one turning up to a viewing you can offer less. Depends on the market. Not sure about Melbourne right now but it Sydney it appears demand for certain types of properties is a lot less than it was 2 years ago.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 6:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beoz
Margaret raises a good point. If you are in a position to offer a few months in advance do so. Many landlords wont take it but it does demonstrate you have money to pay the rent. They also say offer a few dollars more than the advertised weekly rent but in cases where you are the only one turning up to a viewing you can offer less. Depends on the market. Not sure about Melbourne right now but it Sydney it appears demand for certain types of properties is a lot less than it was 2 years ago.
I was surprised at what the hairdresser was saying, as when i look at the rentals in glen waverley there always seems to be loads, and we didnt have too much trouble, however the schools here are in huuuuggge demand by the chinese. Glen waverley secondary college has over 90% Chinese students.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Read the fine print too. Check closely on any 'penalty clauses'. Someone I know had a lease which was renewed annually and included in that was having to pay 2 months rent if 2 months notice wasn't given (and also had to pay the costs of advertising and finding new tenants). i.e. check how quickly you can move out if you need to down the track.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What IS the rental process in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Read the fine print too. Check closely on any 'penalty clauses'. Someone I know had a lease which was renewed annually and included in that was having to pay 2 months rent if 2 months notice wasn't given (and also had to pay the costs of advertising and finding new tenants). i.e. check how quickly you can move out if you need to down the track.
Not sure that is legal.

There is a standard landlord/tenant agreement in VIC which lays out the responsibilities for both sides, including notice periods and penalties for breaking lease. It can't be varied legally except for very minor things.

BB
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not sure that is legal.

There is a standard landlord/tenant agreement in VIC which lays out the responsibilities for both sides, including notice periods and penalties for breaking lease. It can't be varied legally except for very minor things.

BB
People wanted to move out very quickly and had signed a yearly lease so wanted to move before the lease was up and were able to give plenty of notice but still had to pay (might have been a month's rent not 2? Happened a few years ago so my memory could be fading!)
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
People wanted to move out very quickly and had signed a yearly lease so wanted to move before the lease was up and were able to give plenty of notice but still had to pay (might have been a month's rent not 2? Happened a few years ago so my memory could be fading!)
Anyone who wants to move before the lease is up is breaking a legal contract and has to pay the penalties. This would certainly be a month's rent, could be two, could be three, depends on how long it takes to re-let the broken lease. And yes, they have to pay advertising.

The whole point is the landlord not being left out of pocket by the tenants reneging on the deal.

This is standard in all VIC contracts.

BB
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Anyone who wants to move before the lease is up is breaking a legal contract and has to pay the penalties. This would certainly be a month's rent, could be two, could be three, depends on how long it takes to re-let the broken lease. And yes, they have to pay advertising.

The whole point is the landlord not being left out of pocket by the tenants reneging on the deal.

BB
yep, common knowledge amongst us renters.

I would advise all renters to go through reputable estate agents, they are there to be advocates of both landlords and renters. (god i almost sound like an estate agent), i have been renting in melbourne for six years now and know the ins and outs of renting,

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority is there for both parties.

just for the BE record, believe me if i had known that six years down the line i still could not afford to buy in melbourne, i would have kept me fat arse in kilmarnock, with my small house and small mortgage

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 8th 2013 at 11:00 am.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Margaret3
yep, common knowledge amongst us renters.

I would advise all renters to go through reputable estate agents, they are there to be advocates of both landlords and renters. (god i almost sound like an estate agent), i have been renting in melbourne for six years now and know the ins and outs of renting,

The Residential Tenancies Bond Authority is there for both parties.

just for the BE record, believe me if i had known that six years down the line i still could not afford to buy in melbourne, i would have kept me fat arse in kilmarnock, with my small house and small mortgage
You are starting to sound like an Aussie. Life shouldn't be all about owning bricks and mortar.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BB
Yes, I'm aware of that and the reasons why. Point is if you can get a shorter lease or think you might want to move quickly (eg if a job move comes up or another property to rent or buy or whatever) then go for it.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

You are starting to sound like an Aussie. Life shouldn't be all about owning bricks and mortar.
I took buying for granted in Scotland! Never thought at the age of 49 I would be moving house/home every two years ( and there is a real possability that I could be doing this for the rest of my life). I take responsibility for my idiotic decisions, but hey, you know what they say, hindsight is a great thing!!! Moving frequently is exhausting in more ways than I can count.

Last edited by Margaret3; Sep 9th 2013 at 1:31 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

After the landlord says yes, which is usually after credit checks, etc, it takes long as it takes for you to sign the contracts and agree a move in date. Of course you have to bare in mind the tenants may not have to vacate for a week or so. Or it may already be empty.

I looked at 2 rental properties yesterday. One property was empty as the place had just received a new owner and the other place the had the tenants moving out that day. Both were available to rent next weekend. So the problem we have is that we are on 21 days notice.

If you are nimble you can often move in pretty quickly and a landlord doesn't want to be without rent.
thank you very much, good news!!

a landlord doesn't want to be without rent

you аre right!!
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Margaret3
go onto the realestate.com.au website, and learn how to do an online application (which can used to apply for more than one property).
Margaret thank you very much for your advice!! when you have the information you can make a plan, and when there is a plan - it all happens quickly and easily.
Unfortunately we can not pay for 6 months. forward, so we'll just hope all will be well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.