What to pack in bags?

What to pack in bags?

Old May 15th 2006, 6:44 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What to pack in bags?

Originally Posted by Luma
Thanks for all the replies.

Didn't even think of bank & mortgage statements.

If you've got kids, take their red books, birth certificates, all passports, old bills, mortgage statements such as your closing account, credit card statements and anything else you think would give you evidence for who you are and where you've been living for the past months. A reference from work, or from the estate agent who sold your house, saying what condition your house was in (if good!)

I'd also bring a small set of screwdrivers and a small pair of scissors.... unpacking the IKEA beds we realised we needed a couple of things we didn't have. Luckily our neighbours were on hand, but I would advise you take some.

If you're arriving in Winter, most Aus houses don't have central heating so are jolly cold in the morning and evening. Bring good pyjamas with you, but as for slippers and all that, you could just go shopping when you get here to save your space.

Last edited by iPom; May 15th 2006 at 6:50 am.
Old May 15th 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I'd also bring a small set of screwdrivers and a small pair of scissors.... unpacking the IKEA beds we realised we needed a couple of things we didn't have. Luckily our neighbours were on hand, but I would advise you take some.

If you're arriving in Winter, most Aus houses don't have central heating so are jolly cold in the morning and evening. Bring good pyjamas with you, but as for slippers and all that, you could just go shopping when you get here to save your space.
If you're constrained for weight after all these great suggestions, Ikea actually sell a mini tool kit with screwdrivers, hammer etc for about $7 - we got one and it's perfectly adequate.

Definitely bring winter clothes if you're coming now. But remember that they don't weigh what you're wearing This last journey back I packed a couple of strong carrier bags in my handbag so I could strip off jumpers etc and carry them round easily.

Emirates weighed our hand luggage before anything else, so do be careful with that aspect of it. Although they don't count handbags, so put the bricks in your handbag and you should be fine
Old May 15th 2006, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

My wife and I haven't bought any new clothes in the UK for months. We're just wearing out all of our current clothes and saving the money for shopping for new clothes in Aus. Also if you're doing a stopover in Singapore you can get very nice suits hand made for you and sent onwards to your Aus hotel/rental. I've been told the suits are very very cheap compared to the cost of a fitted suit in the UK. My brother in law did this and saved a load of hassle and weight allowance.
Old May 15th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all - have added: umbrella, tin opener, set screwdrivers, scissor & slippers to my list.

A very nice lady sent this useful link to me - she said it's "It's an oldie, but a goodie"

Re: What to take? What to leave?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ht=things+list
Old May 15th 2006, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

I personally wouldnt waste the baggage allowance on shampoo deodorant etc., as they are cheap to buy here, and most aussie shops sell the same stuff probably at no extra cost or cheaper than the uk.
I missed things like my potato peeler, favourite kitchen knife - sad things like that.
We went to the second hand shops when we first arrived, of which there are many, and bought the basics to survive until our container arrived.

One other stupid thing I did was leave my mobile phone back in the UK as for some reason I didnt think it would work over here. Only to find that I only needed to swop the sim card to an australian one, like vodaphone aus, and I could have used it. So make sure to pack your phones and chargers, and make sure your phones are unlocked so you can swop the cards. Phones are quite expensive here, and an unnecessary expense when you already have one.
Jill