Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a Nursery Nurse in Australia?

Originally Posted by steveandtina
Hi Sam

Sorry to bomb bard you but you seem like a lady who knows her stuff when it comes to childcare. Can I ask when I go to Oz in July I will have a NVQ 2 in Childcare (which allows me to work with children 0 to 16 years) will that NVQ be good enough to work in Oz?

Hope you can help

Cheers

Tina x
Your NVQ 2 is on the 1 yr 'approved overseas qualifications' so yes you can work as a child care worker.

so check that on here under '1 yr approved courses'

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/childcare/workingcc/

then on the wageline website above you can check the wage.

As far as i know because your qualification is on that list you don't have to prove anything other than showing your certificate to a potential employer and they make the decision.
You will need a blue card and some centres require first aid, but if you have to pay for them yourself you will get either some or most of the money back in your tax!

I'm heading over to qld in March so i will keep you informed on what's what

Sam
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lossiepickle
sammy do you know where the hnc childcare and education stands i'm so bloody confuzzled lol
Did you do it in Scotland?

If so it is in the '2yr approved overseas courses'

Are you going to qld?

Sam
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

lossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nicelossiepickle is just really nice

Originally Posted by sammyg
Did you do it in Scotland?

If so it is in the '2yr approved overseas courses'

Are you going to qld?

Sam
yeah did it in scotland 2005 hopfuly going to brisbane were trying to get sponership for my hubby when he leaves the raf next year then when settled with the kids i'll start work lol

thanks for the advice
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
GillyG - im pretty sure the rules are very similar - I am thinking of doing family day care as I childmind here and prefer it to a Nursery. Do you know if you can go over and be self-employed straight away though?

These sites may help you though:
http://www.familydaycare.com.au/
http://www.ncac.gov.au/
Sorry I don't...this is all getting very complicated!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GillyG
Minibel- do you know if the rules and regs are as strict in Oz as they are in the UK for child minders? I know here your house has to be totally child-proofed, which if one was renting could be problematic!
I think you may have problems if you rent, you may need to make some changes to meet safety standards, you will need things such as safety fencing and gates, fire equipment, childproof locks and safety glass.

My back ground in Nursery Nursing and a Registered Manager for Children's homes, i work as a Social Worker for a private company at the moment but Uk Social Workers struggle to registered in oz, so child minding is a new area that i have been looking at myself.

minibelle
Old Jan 21st 2008, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Sam[/QUOTE]

Hi Sam

Just wondering where about in Qld you are going, have you already got a job to go too?

minibelle
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by minibelle

Sam
Hi Sam

Just wondering where about in Qld you are going, have you already got a job to go too?

minibelle [/QUOTE]

Hi Minibelle,
We are looking at the Gold Coast, but we will also be checking Brisbane Suburbs out as there is more work there.

I have a BA Early Childhood studies degree , Nvq 3 and Senior Practitioner Status here in the UK.

I have had my own Foundation 2 (reception class) for the last 3 yrs but i don't think i can do that in aus as i haven't got my teacher practice years. However, i'm going to be looking at group leader work to gain experience and then try and move towards a director role. I've also been managing a team of 10 childcare workers/teaching assistants in a nursery/school so hopefully that will be good experience there!

So, no i haven't got a job lined up but i'm looking forward to going for them, i've been at the same place in the UK for 7 yrs so it's time for a change

How about you?

Sam
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Your NVQ 2 is on the 1 yr 'approved overseas qualifications' so yes you can work as a child care worker.

so check that on here under '1 yr approved courses'

http://www.communities.qld.gov.au/childcare/workingcc/

then on the wageline website above you can check the wage.

As far as i know because your qualification is on that list you don't have to prove anything other than showing your certificate to a potential employer and they make the decision.
You will need a blue card and some centres require first aid, but if you have to pay for them yourself you will get either some or most of the money back in your tax!

Sam
Thanks Sammy your a star!

Tina x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

hi
try www.123careers.com.au,they are the recruitment agency for the ABC childcare centres all over. yes you will need a blue card and a first aid certificate,they will not accept copies of uk certificates,what you need to do is get your qualifications assessed once you are here for the equivilent aussie qualification,it costs about $25.00. just doing it myself.
hope this helps

Thanks Sammy your a star!

Tina x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

aahhh, is that for the qld registering purpose? I looked into this before and spoke to a women at Qld communities who said if the UK qualification is on the list it is fine....however, i've spoken to lots of people in aus who have told me different things
it's obviously not a problem but someything you can't do until you get there!
How long does it take?

How are you finding the job situation out there? what's the pay like compared to awards? Is there as much as their seems to be advertised on Seek etc?

sorry questions, questions we just need to know

Sam
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by keithandsam
hi
try www.123careers.com.au,they are the recruitment agency for the ABC childcare centres all over. yes you will need a blue card and a first aid certificate,they will not accept copies of uk certificates,what you need to do is get your qualifications assessed once you are here for the equivilent aussie qualification,it costs about $25.00. just doing it myself.
hope this helps

Thank you too, I have seen that site b4 and there are lots of child care jobs on there, but wasn't sure my qualification would be ok but now I know

Thanks again

Tina x
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sam

minibelle

Hi Minibelle,
We are looking at the Gold Coast, but we will also be checking Brisbane Suburbs out as there is more work there.

I have a BA Early Childhood studies degree , Nvq 3 and Senior Practitioner Status here in the UK.

I have had my own Foundation 2 (reception class) for the last 3 yrs but i don't think i can do that in aus as i haven't got my teacher practice years. However, i'm going to be looking at group leader work to gain experience and then try and move towards a director role. I've also been managing a team of 10 childcare workers/teaching assistants in a nursery/school so hopefully that will be good experience there!

So, no i haven't got a job lined up but i'm looking forward to going for them, i've been at the same place in the UK for 7 yrs so it's time for a change

How about you?

Sam[/QUOTE]

Hi Sam

I am going to oz as a welfare worker, i have a degree in social work and a HND and currently work in mental health services, but i fancy getting out of management (Service users are great, it the staff thats the problem). I qualified as a nursery nurse before i did my degree and HND so i may go back into childrens services.

We are looking at the sunshine coast but my brother who lives in sydney is moving to the gold coast, it would be interesting to see what type of work you can find, the wages in the sunshine coast are not great.

minibelle
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

hi again
i`m not too sure how long the assessment process takes,but they certainly dont rush things here!! you really cant do much until you are here,might be a good idea to bring some certified copies of your certificates with you to speed things a bit, there are certainly plenty of child care jobs around the gold coast.

Thank you too, I have seen that site b4 and there are lots of child care jobs on there, but wasn't sure my qualification would be ok but now I know

Thanks again

Tina x
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by minibelle
Hi Minibelle,

How about you?

Sam

Hi Sam

I am going to oz as a welfare worker, i have a degree in social work and a HND and currently work in mental health services, but i fancy getting out of management (Service users are great, it the staff thats the problem). I qualified as a nursery nurse before i did my degree and HND so i may go back into childrens services.

We are looking at the sunshine coast but my brother who lives in sydney is moving to the gold coast, it would be interesting to see what type of work you can find, the wages in the sunshine coast are not great.

minibelle[/QUOTE]

Hya,

We are looking into the Gold coast or brisbane suburbs....when are you off?
Sam
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by keithandsam
hi again
i`m not too sure how long the assessment process takes,but they certainly dont rush things here!! you really cant do much until you are here,might be a good idea to bring some certified copies of your certificates with you to speed things a bit, there are certainly plenty of child care jobs around the gold coast.
Thanks for the reply
I'll make it one of the first things i do then. We are going to bum about for a while so i'm not in a hurry for it

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.