Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

Here in Austin it's not a term given to new construction per se but rather when people go into quasi-historical districts, tear down one or more houses, and construct a bland, cookie cutter big box that ruins the feel of the neighbourhood. We have zoning laws against this now.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/mcmansions/

You can rate the houses on a McMansion scale.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Here in Austin it's not a term given to new construction per se but rather when people go into quasi-historical districts, tear down one or more houses, and construct a bland, cookie cutter big box that ruins the feel of the neighbourhood. We have zoning laws against this now.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/mcmansions/

You can rate the houses on a McMansion scale.
Don't they use the term Tract Housing too? Not, infact, implying that Australian McMansions are always cheap or for the one of a better US word, 'low rent'. (some cost!).

I had never seen or heard about McMansions my entire 1st year in Australia. It was only finding BE on my return to UK I heard about them.

It's possible to live without seeing them. You get nice architect designed tasteful homes too.

My wife tells me one of the mothers she knows has a mansion in Berwick - it's a REAL mansion, practically couldn't find the way out. Dad is a consultant urologist yadda yadda.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Don't they use the term Tract Housing too? Not, infact, implying that Australian McMansions are always cheap or for the one of a better US word, 'low rent'. (some cost!).
It's possible to build entire subdivisions full of oversized shoddily built unattractive houses. This happens all the time where land is plentiful and people want a lot of space for a small amount of money.

The term McMansion here is when someone wants to live in a well-established neighbourhood, usually close to the centre of the city where homes tend to be older and small, but wants a huge house that doesn't fit into the character of the neighbourhood. If you're a resident of these neighbourhoods full of quaint 1930s one storey cottages, your property value will plummet if someone builds a McMansion next door. The existing houses are often around 1000 sq feet; it's hard to build bigger than that without it becoming very noticeable, especially because cellars/basements are almost unheard of here.

This has become a huge issue here because our traffic congestion is worse by the day and people want to live close to the city centre AND have a big house. I do too..... if I win the lottery.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the dooners
Here's my Mcmansion and I'm happy with it
pictures of it under construction and just about finished

the dooners
wow you must be so excited! a brand new home! good on ya!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

I had never seen or heard about McMansions my entire 1st year in Australia. It was only finding BE on my return to UK I heard about them.

It's possible to live without seeing them. You get nice architect designed tasteful homes too.

My wife tells me one of the mothers she knows has a mansion in Berwick - it's a REAL mansion, practically couldn't find the way out. Dad is a consultant urologist yadda yadda.

yep it is possible to live without seeing them! as australia is a HUGE country!

however..i dont' see anything wrong with them anyways!!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:25 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

the dooners

And a lovely 'McMansion' it is too. Nice one!

I love new houses. Our first home in the UK was a huge victorian terrace with a tiny balcony. It was nice enough but it was drafty therefore cost a fortune to heat. It was also really noisy with creaky old floor boards and rattly sash windows and was home to some of the biggest spiders I have ever seen.

We are delighted that we are in a position to build our own home, something that we wouldn't have dreamed of doing had we stayed in the UK.

ACE
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:04 am
Banned

tassietiger will become famous soon enough

McMansions are usually built in new outer suburb housing estates, which are often called " Legoland" becasue the houses all look alike as if they were built from a lego set.' Mc 'is for Mcdonalds, which implies they are cheap or second rate mansion sort of like how a McDonalds watch is a cheap second rate watch.They are cheap because they are often build on cheap land with cheap bulding materials. The suburbs they are built on are often described as being souless, lacking facilties, transport and things to do. not somewhere l would want to live, if l was going to live miles from the city or anywhere l would want to live somewhere in the country with nice scenery, not a bland outer suburb.

Last edited by tassietiger; Jul 6th 2008 at 6:07 am.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What is a McMansion?

[QUOTE=Maple Leaf;6537468]i was wondering about this too as i had never heard of the term before i started viewing this forum.

it's not something we use in australia. ( well maybe some do but certainly not anyone i know)/QUOTE]

It's definitely used in Australia, mate. Even the ABC uses it.

Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
And a lovely 'McMansion' it is too. Nice one!

I love new houses. Our first home in the UK was a huge victorian terrace with a tiny balcony. It was nice enough but it was drafty therefore cost a fortune to heat. It was also really noisy with creaky old floor boards and rattly sash windows and was home to some of the biggest spiders I have ever seen.

We are delighted that we are in a position to build our own home, something that we wouldn't have dreamed of doing had we stayed in the UK.

ACE
Originally Posted by tassietiger
McMansions are usually built in new outer suburb housing estates, which are often called " Legoland" becasue the houses all look alike as if they were built from a lego set.' Mc 'is for Mcdonalds, which implies they are cheap or second rate mansion sort of like how a McDonalds watch is a cheap second rate watch.They are cheap because they are often build on cheap land with cheap bulding materials. The suburbs they are built on are often described as being souless, lacking facilties, transport and things to do. not somewhere l would want to live, if l was going to live miles from the city or anywhere l would want to live somewhere in the country with nice scenery, not a bland outer suburb.
Yeah the problem is location, not just the build. Combined together = issue.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:49 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tassietiger
...sort of like how a McDonalds watch is a cheap second rate watch.
If there's anyone in the UK that read the statement above and got a little confused, let me clear it up for you.

McDonalds restaurants in Tasmania also sell cheap watches and jewellery alongside the big macs and fries.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:00 pm
Banned

tassietiger will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markallwood
If there's anyone in the UK that read the statement above and got a little confused, let me clear it up for you.

McDonalds restaurants in Tasmania also sell cheap watches and jewellery alongside the big macs and fries.
No they don't , but McDonalds in Australia years ago used to give away free plastic watches and cheap toys with fries and burgers, the watches were second rate and always broke.

Last edited by tassietiger; Jul 6th 2008 at 12:17 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

the dooners
well,I think its a Mc Mansion for us when we get there as well!!!!
each to their own!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:33 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the problem is location, not just the build. Combined together = issue.
Spot on.

Both our homes in the UK were in good locations. The first one was opposite the flower gardens and tennis courts at Southchurch Park (where they play county cricket). The second was on a hill in Ashingdon over looking the surrounding countryside with the River Crouch in the distance.

Coming up with the house design was relatively painless. Finding the right block of land however, took a lot of leg work, friends in the real estate industry and was most definitely not cheap.

Last edited by ACE; Jul 6th 2008 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL yes and often not terribly substantial either.
And no ROOMS - just vast living space!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Vash the Stampede;6539240]
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
i was wondering about this too as i had never heard of the term before i started viewing this forum.

it's not something we use in australia. ( well maybe some do but certainly not anyone i know)/QUOTE]

It's definitely used in Australia, mate. Even the ABC uses it.

oh my~~ well like i said...no one i know of uses that term..it must be a very new thing! and

tho the term mate!..might be coined as an aussie lingo thing..not everyone uses it...i myself...very rarely..if at all..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.