Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by lor
I think The Chase looks much nicer than many new estates - at least you have some nice countryside bordering your plots - that makes a big difference. (quote)

Dfo, and fingers crossed that it stays that way , as lol I don't reckon Rich and our finances could handle another move.

See you tomorrow mate, for that common night in!
My Lambrini is chilling
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think some of the stuff people on here are referring to as McMansions are not really McMansions, they are just crap, sterile, 4x2 Legoland. If building Legoland was an olympic sport, Australia would get gold every time.

OK ! Did not want to add to this thread again, but .... " Legoland " as its described, does annoy me.
We live in an older house in an older suburb, its a nice house , but i would of loved a house in Butler ( Legoland BTW ! ) It has been very beautifully set out, with lots to do for kids etc, parks, skate parks , community centre etc !

A house is always sterile until you move into it , add your own personal touches , get the way you like it , then yes its a home !
We did not live in a 15th century cottage in the UK , so buying a house without acres of land, a maze and a bloody moat around it doesnt bother me !
Im pretty sure that people who move to Australia from the UK do really not expect to live in a place like that.
If they choose to live out in the sticks ? bush then thats fine ! But every one has their own preference.

A home is your castle !! ( as the saying goes )

Nicky

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Jul 4th 2008 at 2:23 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:01 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I actually thing theres reverse snobbery and those of us that don't have a new build asked "why not"?!?!
It's mad Hevs isn't it? You chose your house, and where you live because it's what you want, can't really undertand why someone would feel the need to question that. There's nowt as queer as folks lol.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CDM
This looks like a really nice development but I'm just a little bit suspicious of the "half an hour to the CBD" quote on their web-site. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place on Google maps, the Sandhurst development is quite a bit farther than half an hour to the CDB. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

- CDM
It's just north and east of Carrum Downs. It probably is 30mins from the CBD outside of rush hour. In rush hour best would probably be 45 mins but could be 1.5 hours.

It's near Eastlink, which has just opened so it's got good road connections but lousy rail connections.

PS: It doesn't really feel like it's near Cranbourne when you're on the ground. I doubt it's any nearer than Berwick which seems to be turning into Cranbourne North these days
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
OK ! Did not want to add to this thread again, but .... " Legoland " as its described, does annoy me.
We live in an older house in an older suburb, its a nice house , but i would of loved a house in Butler ( Legoland BTW ! ) It has been very beautifully set out, with lots to do for kids etc, parks, skate parks , community centre etc !

A house is always sterile until you move into it , add your own personal touches , get the way you like it , then yes its a home !
We did not live in a 15th century cottage in the UK , so buying a house without acres of land, a maze and a bloody moat around it doesnt bother me !
Im pretty sure that people who move to Australia from the UK do really not expect to live in a place like that.
If they choose to live out in the sticks ? bush then thats fine ! But every one has their own preference.

A home is your castle !! ( as the saying goes )

Nicky
Dang. I've only just started on the Maze. Nobody told me about the moat.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Dang. I've only just started on the Maze. Nobody told me about the moat.

Just as well we are still on stage 3a water restrictions so you wouldn't be able to fill it up
Old Jul 5th 2008, 2:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jond
Just as well we are still on stage 3a water restrictions so you wouldn't be able to fill it up
Dang! When did that start?

Do you think that'll affect the water ponds and music fountain?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:34 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

It's ridiculous that a country our size, with such a small population, has already resorted to high density housing on such a scale. Land releases should be larger, and so should the blocks. The government can afford to do this, and should.

We have plenty of space, so let's use it!
My thoughts exactly!

Originally Posted by markallwood

A "Mcmansion" is a large house, not necessarily well built, without luxury fittings, on cheap land, and owned by regular folks with regular income. You might find a kids trampoline and a swimming pool out the back.
Oh dear! We are putting the trampoline up this weekend - we are marked now.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've got one. There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that can count in binary and those that can't

I've just been in California and they have plenty of this kind of stuff over there too. I guess they invented it. I think they do a better job of it though. It seems a bit classier over there, with a bit more space around each house. I think some of the stuff people on here are referring to as McMansions are not really McMansions, they are just crap, sterile, 4x2 Legoland.
I agree that the Americans do it better - I would love to have an American house built here.

We are currently renting a large property in a new estate. I wouldn't call it a McMansion but it does have a lot of space, which is well utilised. The suburb itself has been well-planned, is very green and there are lots of play areas for young children. In the UK, we lived in a village in a place built in 1891. It had a lot of character and was spacious by UK standards but it was hard to keep clean and there was always something going wrong with it. For now, we are enjoying suburban living in Perth. We have enough room so that we all have our own space and there are other small kids nearby to keep junior occupied. It is absolutely quiet at night - I love that.

Our goal is to find a large plot somewhere to build a house. We are hoping to get the best of both worlds - large house and a decent-sized garden. It should be suburban too so that junior isn't isolated.

I don't care which pejorative term other people use to refer to my home - McMansion, Legoland, Slum, Shack - take your pick. As long as the house suits my family and we are happy in it, folk can call it what they like.

Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

Oh dear! We are putting the trampoline up this weekend - we are marked now.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't be any different if you took a photo from the window of a plane over Heathrow, Luton,, Gatwick, Manchester etc etc.
Melbourne from the air was bad compared to NZ. But autumn and winter have improved things no end.

I don't really like them either, but there is quite a bit of snobbery on here. If you don't live on acreage or in the country/ hills you are classed as being a bit inferior
Mate living Bayside noone would consider you ''ínferior''.

Infact, plenty of people would consider country/hills a bit off and it DOES vary. (But there are cracking places.) When people scorn McMansions they tend to talk about one in outer suburban mortgage belts with frankly cashed up Bogans. You get it in Melbourne SE, and Sydney W.

The best property in Australia IMHO is near the cities, or in the best acreage locations/country towns nothing to do with type at all.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading a thread on here sometime ago about how noisy some rural blocks are at weekends. With dirt bikes and what one person described as all his neighbours buying big blocks of metal and then spending all weekend grinding them down, because thats all he could hear.
I find the background noise of mowers and chainsaws quite therepetic. Here people seem to use them on Saturdays and never before 10am on a Sunday - unwritten rule.

I've just been in California and they have plenty of this kind of stuff over there too. I guess they invented it. I think they do a better job of it though. It seems a bit classier over there, with a bit more space around each house. I think some of the stuff people on here are referring to as McMansions are not really McMansions, they are just crap, sterile, 4x2 Legoland. If building Legoland was an olympic sport, Australia would get gold every time.
I was quite impressed with CA suburbs. Clean, yes, sort of sterile yes, but a lot more uniform and sort of tasteful. Sort of soft tary roofs. Weatherboards which look great. As much as I like varied housing stock (and hate UK terraced) Australia's newest burbs take it to extremes.

Originally Posted by hevs
I don't think its snobbery at all. My house is a total 70's retro red brick delight, BUT i have space around me.
Indeed. My house is total 80s. 1985 I believe. But we like it. And the ensuite cost less than 3k to sort out.

I need a study but will make my own weatherboard 3mx3m office out the side back (no planning permission needed), and the same for a 6mx6m workshop further down (planning needed).
Old Jul 5th 2008, 11:53 am
Account Closed

One good thing about newer houses (later than 88) is that they're not packed full of asbestos
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CDM
This looks like a really nice development but I'm just a little bit suspicious of the "half an hour to the CBD" quote on their web-site. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place on Google maps, the Sandhurst development is quite a bit farther than half an hour to the CDB. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

- CDM
Yep you will easily be looking at 45 minutes, no traffic on the road, 1hour in light traffic and up to 2 hours peak time.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CDM
I keep seeing references to this. What does it mean?

- CDM
i was wondering about this too as i had never heard of the term before i started viewing this forum.

it's not something we use in australia. ( well maybe some do but certainly not anyone i know)

i started to read the answers you got but stopped and decided just to post this.

Old Jul 5th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

the dooners is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
i was wondering about this too as i had never heard of the term before i started viewing this forum.

it's not something we use in australia. ( well maybe some do but certainly not anyone i know)

i started to read the answers you got but stopped and decided just to post this.

Here's my Mcmansion and I'm happy with it
pictures of it under construction and just about finished

the dooners
Attached Thumbnails What is a McMansion?-dscf1709.jpg   What is a McMansion?-dscf1710.jpg   What is a McMansion?-dscf1126.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.