Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is a McMansion?

What is a McMansion?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by jond
I am not pointing a finger at you. just saying how certain people on here love to run new estates down.
I don't live on one, just a normal street in an outer suburb, but it wouldn't bother me if we did.

The last thing we wanted to do was move to a new Country, new life, job etc and spend every waking hour working on our house. We did this years ago when we brought a 1903 Victorian house in the UK and never again.

Don't forget that every house was new once, before we moved here we lived in a village in Essex and even though our house was 15 years old it was still referred to "as that new house down the lane"
I can quite understand why people want a new house - we rented one for 5 months and was easy to maintain and keep clean - but I just didn't like it and I didn't like living on an estate. It just felt sterile and too well planned (which is probably a good thing for most!).

TBH it will take us years to get our house up to gether - there's always something better to do. Still there's really nothing wrong with it now as we've already got rid of the retro bathrooms
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Crow
easy to maintain and keep clean - but I just didn't like it and I didn't like living on an estate. It just felt sterile and too well planned (which is probably a good thing for most!).
Exactly what some people want
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

After living in a really old place for the last 4 years I can really see why people would move into one of these new build places.

My bedroom door handle fell off last night, and we only just managed to not end up trapped in our bedroom, shouting out the window for help.

Something like this happens about once a month at least.

Although, no doubt, we will end up in the same type of place in Oz, for the 'character'.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:57 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Originally Posted by CDM
I keep seeing references to this. What does it mean?

- CDM
Why people on this site cant just answer the bloody question no one was asking what they like or dislike just what it meant, jesus!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
A large, brand new suburban house with a great deal of living space but virtually no land. Usually 4 bed 2 bath (sometimes with pool) on less than 500sqm.

In Australia, these monstrosities are frequently built in huge numbers with little more than 2 metres between them. All mod cons, but no character.

High density housing at its most crass and offensive.

PS. The term originated in America, where McMansions are king.
Well were I am leaving in Dublin, the houses are identical and on maybe half the land and twice the price, so the McMansion sounds like heaven to me. You guys just don't realise how lucky you have it
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:23 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by The Crow
You find McMansions on estates like these:

Apologies to those that live there - but my idea of living hell...
Originally Posted by bcworld
Hell on Earth indeed! I took these flying into Melbourne one day....spot the grass...any grass...anywhere!?? Not quite the Dandenongs!!
Madness, sheer madness. I would rather chew off my own leg than live in that sort of "neighbourhood".

It's ridiculous that a country our size, with such a small population, has already resorted to high density housing on such a scale. Land releases should be larger, and so should the blocks. The government can afford to do this, and should.

We have plenty of space, so let's use it!

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
A lovely big house , with a very small garden. Small meaning that its not on acres and acres of land !
People are not forced to buy these places, they choose to live there ! and i for one do not understand you get slagged off for it. Some people actually want maintainance free. I think on this site people look down there nose at you if you live in suburbia.

Everyone is different for gods sake !! :curse:

Nicky
Suburbia's fine, I've got no problems with anyone living in suburbia. Hell, my own house in Adelaide is smack in the heart of suburbia (I wish it was in the hills, but that just wasn't practical). The 'burbs still have a lot of gracious old properties, if you know where to look.

So the point is, you can live in suburbia without buying a McMansion.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 2nd 2008 at 4:26 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is a McMansion?

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
Well were I am leaving in Dublin, the houses are identical and on maybe half the land and twice the price, so the McMansion sounds like heaven to me. You guys just don't realise how lucky you have it
Of course, it's all relative to one's own experience. I was raised in a rural district (Rosevears; Tamar Valley) on three quarters of an acre, so a 500sqm block is simply unacceptable to me.

But here in the UK, most of my neighbours live in terrace houses or those scruffy little semis that seem to infest this country like a vile disease. I'll bet they'd kill their own children for the chance to live in a McMansion.

Perhaps some already have...
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASHO
Why people on this site cant just answer the bloody question no one was asking what they like or dislike just what it meant, jesus!!!!!!!!!
That's why a couple of us posted photos - best way to describe.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many people would prefer to live in a McMansion vs a terraced house and vice versa (if that was all you could choose from)?

Is it worth a poll?

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 2nd 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hell on Earth indeed! I took these flying into Melbourne one day....spot the grass...any grass...anywhere!?? Not quite the Dandenongs!!
It could be Dandenong though

I can see the grass. After living in Vic for a few years you get to recognise brown grass. Obviously no good for the footy oval but if people planted a few more natives and a lot less grass then it would look a lot greener. Look at the Dandenongs and it's much more native bush than grass.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz

My bedroom door handle fell off last night, and we only just managed to not end up trapped in our bedroom, shouting out the window for help.

Something like this happens about once a month at least.
But that makes life more exciting
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ASHO
I can't help but notice that you didn't answer the question
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I can't help but notice that you didn't answer the question

Might not of known the answer
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

spsspence will become famous soon enoughspsspence will become famous soon enough

Perhaps some people don't want big gardens as well, maybe they just want a bit to sit out on and have a barbie and a beer in the evening, that kind of a thing. My garden is over 160' long and whilst that isn't massive it's a hell of a lot of work to keep nice if you have a few trees & shrubs etc.

Horses for courses.

Spencer.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 8:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spsspence
Perhaps some people don't want big gardens as well, maybe they just want a bit to sit out on and have a barbie and a beer in the evening, that kind of a thing. My garden is over 160' long and whilst that isn't massive it's a hell of a lot of work to keep nice if you have a few trees & shrubs etc.

Horses for courses.

Spencer.
You're right...at the end of the day, the reason that these houses are being built in this manner is that a demand exists for them. Most people nowadays would choose a big living area with minimal garden as opposed to a smaller living area with a bigger patch of grass out the back.

Of course, if you live on a really big block of land, you don't have this trade off. Whether your living area is big or small, you still have a bit of grass and a few plants and trees to enjoy !!

A "mansion" in the classic sense is a large, well built, luxurious house, built on extensive well kept land, and owned by rich folk. You might find servants quarters within the grounds.

A "Mcmansion" is a large house, not necessarily well built, without luxury fittings, on cheap land, and owned by regular folks with regular income. You might find a kids trampoline and a swimming pool out the back.

Over in Australia, many of the people who talk about "mcmansions" are the same ones who go around saying "I/they live on acreage".... it can be a tad materialistic over here ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.