Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is Mackay like?

What is Mackay like?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:33 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default Re: What is Mackay like?

We have been in Mackay for a week now. Currently living at Blacks Beach in a house over looking the beach. OH's company have put us up here for a month. Started looking for a rental but seems really difficult to find anywhere. Maybe it's because we are new and seem to be going round in circles. Real Estates tell us to look on web sites, which we do and then when we enquire about a property we are told the viewings have already been held! Starting to panic a bit as only have a couple of weeks left at current address. Everything else has been good. People really friendly, beaches lovely and weather is fab. Any advice on finding a rental will be much appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickchap
We have been in Mackay for a week now. Currently living at Blacks Beach in a house over looking the beach. OH's company have put us up here for a month. Started looking for a rental but seems really difficult to find anywhere. Maybe it's because we are new and seem to be going round in circles. Real Estates tell us to look on web sites, which we do and then when we enquire about a property we are told the viewings have already been held! Starting to panic a bit as only have a couple of weeks left at current address. Everything else has been good. People really friendly, beaches lovely and weather is fab. Any advice on finding a rental will be much appreciated.
I know exactly how you feel. We were in the process of leaving Mackay and just by luck, found somewhere at the last minute. South African guy I work with got one in North Mackay last week through hot property. Its a town house and the rent is $450. Maybe try them. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

ste74 will become famous soon enoughste74 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dickchap
We applied for 4 houses and got approved for 3 of them, we settled on a nice one in Glenella.

Have a look at www.realestate.com.au

There isn't much under $450/500 a week but, they are usually good size.

Let me know if you need any phone numbers - it can be hard work though!!

Cheers

Ste
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mackayla
Hi ste74,

glad to hear you've arrived and settling.
Hope the house move went well you are in the same area as us !!

Cool, we are near the park at Northview Gardens off Schaeper road if thats how its spelt.

Hmmm, we could have a Mackay meet up, there seems to be a few of us here now !!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by framac67
Enjoy Ste. Glenella got hit bad in the flood and you'll probably still see the works vans about the place.
Yeah seen a few containers on driveways too, well fingers crossed......
Might be a great excuse to talk the OH into letting me get a boat !!!
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mackayla
Hi

We live in Mackay and my husband is a Boilermaker. Its true your OH would have no problem getting work and very good pay here in Mackay.
Regarding yourself I really dont think you would have a problem either its more about being reliable. I know that I have seen quite a few jobs for medical receptionists as my sister in law is in that field and they may be thinking of coming to Australia so it is something I look at. I dont know if its just medical side you would want to do but you would not have a problem getting receptionist/secretary work.
You also have to look at the fact that if your getting depressed then maybe it is time to move to somewhere that can offer both you and your OH the work.
About the kids I cant really advise you on that but Im sure they would prefer you to be happy.

Hope you decide whatevers right for all of you
Hi Mackayla,

Just notice your OH is a boilermaker, is there much work up here for welders ??
Reason I ask is my bro-in-law is in process of getting a visa and will be looking for work.

Thanks

Ste
Old Oct 24th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ste74
Hi Mackayla,

Just notice your OH is a boilermaker, is there much work up here for welders ??
Reason I ask is my bro-in-law is in process of getting a visa and will be looking for work.

Thanks

Ste
Hi Ste, I'm a welder but when you come here you become a boily as it pays more. He'll be falling over jobs if he comes to Mackay as they can't get enough of them
Old Oct 24th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Hi Ste, I'm a welder but when you come here you become a boily as it pays more. He'll be falling over jobs if he comes to Mackay as they can't get enough of them
That'll be my OH your on about there!!! Hi Framac - the only thing i'm worried about are his welding tickets are out of date - will that be an issue!!!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
That'll be my OH your on about there!!! Hi Framac - the only thing i'm worried about are his welding tickets are out of date - will that be an issue!!!
Probably not but see if he can get them stamped up. Most ppl here dont know what they are so he should be good but if he becomes a boily they might want him to do a bit of fab work. If he declares himself, he'll be fine. Good luck
Old Oct 26th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Probably not but see if he can get them stamped up. Most ppl here dont know what they are so he should be good but if he becomes a boily they might want him to do a bit of fab work. If he declares himself, he'll be fine. Good luck
Thanks framac67 - how hard is it to get a house to rent. What kind of rental prices are you looking at for a 3 bedroomed for example.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks framac67 - how hard is it to get a house to rent. What kind of rental prices are you looking at for a 3 bedroomed for example.
I would have said $350 but it looks as if $400-450 may be nearer the mark but there is no bad areas.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

I would have said $350 but it looks as if $400-450 may be nearer the mark but there is no bad areas.
Now that is a lot of money - phew suprised anybody has any money for luxuries!!!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Now that is a lot of money - phew suprised anybody has any money for luxuries!!!
Its all relative to the salaries earned. Loadsamoney.