Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What important paperwork to take please

What important paperwork to take please

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light
Default What important paperwork to take please

Hi Guys,

Sorting out cupboards, drawers, paperwork etc.

Just need to know what paperwork do I need to take in my hand luggage for myself, hubby and little man. Most of it will go in container, but I think I have to have some with me to get rentals, medicare, etc, am I right? and if so what do I take.

Cheers guys. Hope your all having a great day.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:31 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice
Default Re: What important paperwork to take please

Originally Posted by yanchep
Hi Guys,

Just need to know what paperwork do I need to take in my hand luggage for myself, hubby and little man. Most of it will go in container, but I think I have to have some with me to get rentals, medicare, etc, am I right? and if so what do I take.

Just bumping this because I would be interested in the answer
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

I took our mortgage statement and a few bank statements just to show your in the red and your good at paying your bills/mortgage on time etc. Obviously passport, driving licence, car insurance paperwork to state your no claims bonus you have over here, reference from employees if needed for a job, and perhaps a reference stating that your a good/honest citizen would help with getting a rental.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Take child health records (red book in Scotland) or get a copy from GP. We needed these for innoculations records to claim help with childcare costs.

Originally Posted by yanchep
Hi Guys,

Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

I personally take all our certs, ie birth, marriage etc. As well as car insurance papers, take house/contents insurance for the same reason.

cheers
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:28 am
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road

If you're renting, get a letter from your current landlord before you leave the UK, it will make it easier to compete with locals for a place when you get here!

I brought as much as I could fit in a folder (birth cert, NI, medical history, car insurance, rental agreements, bank statements, even recent bills to remind me to chase up refunds), anything I thought would be vaguely useful in setting up.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

We needed our NHS medical cards because we were on a temporary visa (457) ..... If you're PR you wont need them. Took us ages as they were locked away in storage so had to get new ones printed up....
Old Jul 4th 2008, 6:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone thinking that any credit reference from existing lenders, banks, landlords, mortgage companies, employers in the UK will help or be required when you migrate is signing up to the biggest BE urban myth.

Nobody cares what your credit rating was or what your ability to pay was in a foreign country based on a job and financial situation you no longer have.

Your credit worthiness will be judged on your financial position in Australia and nothing in the UK, however good or bad, is of interest to anyone here.

Securing a rental is more of showing your ability to meet the payments, such as capital in the bank or a job which will cover it.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:50 am
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Katherined0
We needed our NHS medical cards because we were on a temporary visa (457) ..... If you're PR you wont need them. Took us ages as they were locked away in storage so had to get new ones printed up....
Hmm, I'm on a 457 and didn't need mine (good job as I'd have had no idea where it was anyway!).
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Dawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really niceDawn-D is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
Anyone thinking that any credit reference from existing lenders, banks, landlords, mortgage companies, employers in the UK will help or be required when you migrate is signing up to the biggest BE urban myth.

Nobody cares what your credit rating was or what your ability to pay was in a foreign country based on a job and financial situation you no longer have.

Your credit worthiness will be judged on your financial position in Australia and nothing in the UK, however good or bad, is of interest to anyone here.

Securing a rental is more of showing your ability to meet the payments, such as capital in the bank or a job which will cover it.
Oh, now I am confused doesn't take a lot

I'm still in the UK awaiting the exchange on our house sale and visa hopefully this week. I'm in the process of contacting rental agents in Queensland all of which have emailed me forms to fill in which involves emailing back our last 2 payslips, references and a photo ID! I've said that the payslips are from a job in the UK but they said that's fine! No one yet has enquired about what job we're doing when we arrive

Dawn
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:14 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget employment information where you will get a Pension. Ensure you have your staff number and start and end dates and any pension statement provided from your employer as the pension reference may be different from your staff number. I suggest this as I work in HR here (uk) and the number of people overseas who have no info and then want to claim pensions is amazing. Just remember that HR are always changing their payroll suppliers and structure so if you have the basics it will cause less agro later on as you will have something to work with. Hope this makes sense. Also if you can get a pension statement before you leave you know where you are it with that scheme.