Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A lot of people feel that these people will then get refugee status here very quickly.

They then become entitled to government benefits that even Australian Citizens can't get, let alone bypassing the 2 year wait that those using the normal channels have to wait.

The burning boat theory is based on similar previous events, where they hope to avoid being towed back out of Australian waters.

Although not yet confirmed, and may never be confirmed, it does seem to be a feasible action.

I wonder why they didn't stay in Indonesia, as they had got that far ?

If they were true refugees from their own country, then Indonesia would be better than where they were originally. But obviously not as good as Australia.

Australia takes in a certain number of Refugees each year. These refugees are selected by "I have no idea, but I did look".

Each illegal refugee takes away a place for a genuine refugee. So effectively this is queue jumping, and only harms other, maybe more genuine, refugees.
It has no other real effect on Australians as the total number will stay about the same.

Some people who may have been waiting for urgent hospital admission, and now get told that their case is delayed, may well be unhappy due to circumstances that 'may' be self inflicted.
Every chance that these people panicked as they had no idea where the RAN was towing them(thought back to Indonesian waters maybe) and may well have set their vessel on fire.As i understand it Indonesia is not signatory to the UN charter on refugees hence has no obligation to accept them in that country.
It is somehat ambigerous to state who are real refugees when those that arrive will be required to fullfill the same criteria as those off shore to pass muster.Also those selected overseas fill a quota and are not necessary any more genuine nor needy.
Admission to hospital is based on need and long may this remain the case .There are hundreds admitted to our hospitals every month due to self inflected causes...from self harm..to drink related accidents....
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It is certainly difficult to understand why a refugee would travel through a number of perfectly safe countries in order to reach a specific one.
The reason for this is a number of nations are not signatory to the United Nations Convention on Refugees which was conducted after World War 2 when a lot of developing world countries had yet to gain independence from their colonal masters so played no part in the original pact which at the time was looking at finding homes for the massive number of stateless people as a result of the recently finished war.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Excellent post & reasons why no one country can sort out the worlds problems. Idealistically every safe country saves every persecuted person. Realistically no one country can do this which is why there is/should be a system to adhere to.

These people skip the process putting their own lives and others at risk as well as a strain on already limited infrastructure. Allowing them to get away with it encourages more of the same behavior. There's no easy answer
Putting their lives at risk perhaps goes a small way to explain the desperation they feel festering away in camps in some cases for years others for generations.
The only solution can be a global one.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UncleKev
The whole thing is a complete scam. Young men living in a third world country somehow save up $10,000!!!! How is this done legally, given that they are supposed to be under oppression?

Then having saved up $10,000, they bribe a people smuggler and fly off to Asia and are then put up at hotels until they join a boat for the final leg to Australia. Do they just rock on up to the departure lounge at Kabul airport? How are they able to get smuggled out of their countries where they are under all this oppression. How come its OK to leave their wife(s) and kids behind being oppressed while they sail off around the world, cherry picking the best destinations on the globe. Why dont they settle in Indonesia which is the world's biggest Muslim country?

Here is a new flash. If my wife and kids were in danger, I would not run away and leave them to be raped and oppressed while I wander the globe checking out the country with the most generous social welfare benefits.

I would get my family out of danger and to the nearest safe destination that had a similar culture to the one that I belonged to.

The whole refugee game is a totally illegal business operation that is being used to make fortunes for some and allow others to jump the queue to a better economic life.

I have a lot of sympathy for some of the British readers of this forum who are going through all the correct channels, paying out good money in fees and yet will probably miss out on their dream of coming to Australia because of the economic downturn, but will get to watch in amazement as opportunistic criminals who will never contribute anything to Australia will jump the queue to the good life down under.
Why should a refugee be poor??Surely it is the middle class and perhaps former ruling class elite who would be more inclined to be political in their own lands hence a greater chance of persecution and need to leave than say a fisherman or farmer whose aim may well be an improved financial situation.
Refugees have commited and contributed a lot in the past to this country as they have to others including Britain and am sure will continue to do so.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sr71
I do not feel sorry for these criminals at all, in fact I'd be in favour of the Australian Navy blowing the boats up themselves as the are entering Australian waters illegally.

There are plenty of countries these people could go to but they are deliberately coming to countries like Australia and the UK to 'steal' the benefits that are on offer in our soft-touch societies.

They are no different to the other refugees that cross half a dozen safe Western countries to try and sneak into the UK through the channel tunnel.

No doubt some will express horror at my attitude, but these people are deliberate in their criminal actions - not genuine refugees.
Horror no just blinding stupidity more like it. A little more reflection required for the first paragraph would not be amiss.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Perth Massive
why should they be treated here? Put em on a boat back to Indonesia or their last port of call. They were willing to run the risk, live by the sword and that.
Could say the same but a different destination to some of our open minded tolerent and all round compassionate human beings who hail from the United Kingdom who some how washed up upon these shores.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Could say the same but a different destination to some of our open minded tolerent and all round compassionate human beings who hail from the United Kingdom who some how washed up upon these shores.
Why can they not be treated, and then returned by plane to the country they came from, in the same way people who try to get into a country with forged documents, who are discovered, have to be. Sure, there is a cost for the flights, but it's a lot less.

And, the person gets a nice flight back to their country.

They know what they are doing is illegal and they hope things work out. That's their choice.

What we do not know is how many other boats landed here on a beach one night and dropped off 30 or 40 or xx number of illegals and they are now roaming the country...

I'd guess for every boat we know about, there are 5-10 that we do not...
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:26 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Putting their lives at risk perhaps goes a small way to explain the desperation they feel festering away in camps in some cases for years others for generations.
The only solution can be a global one.
Very few people would dispute the desperation illegal immigrants feel when they put their lives at risk to make an illegal entry into any country. The point is, whilst every country would like to take in every person who is desperate unfortunately this is not possible. There are legal entry rules to follow otherwise we may just as well open up to everyone, and as much as this is idealistic it's not realistic.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I don't buy into the idea that the first country where they set foot should always be the one to offer asylum (or imprisonment, whatever is relevant)
I agree that the first country they enter is not obliged to accept them. However, I also believe that asylum seekers should at least appeal for asylum in the first safe country they enter.

If someone claiming to be a refugee deliberately passing through several safe countries without claiming asylum because he wants to apply in another country 15,000km away, I have to question his motivation.

The infamous Bakhtiyari fiasco is a case in point.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twiglets
Nope, same topic. I work with young people who have major addictions, serious self harm and unwanted pregnancies purely to escape the realism of their current situation, so you could argue that they deliberately choose this way of life.
They don't need to flee a country but they generally need to flee their fxxxed up families and lives and come into a hospital as a place of safety and refuge - maybe even taking up a bed that may be just as genuinely needed by another patient.
Just as well that most of the people in my profession are not so judgemental as some on here.
I wish that the health organisations were a lot *more* judgemental.

I don't know about WA, but here in NSW the health services are near collapse, with low morale, inability to get trained doctors in anywhere but the major cities, nurses on occasion buying standard equipment out of their own pockets, suppliers not being paid for months on end (and in some cases going bust because of it) and deteriorating hospitals.

Yet the emergency units spend a considerable proportion of their time tending to addicts and alcoholics as well as a stream of semiconcious teenagers who vomit their loads of alcohol over the floor. Many are serial "customers".

It would be nice and cuddly to imagine that everyone has to "be given a chance" but the reality is that there are always going to be financial constraints and it sickens me to see the way that ordinary, hardworking people with limited funds have to put up with long waiting lists and decrepit facilities when so much money is thrown at selfabusers.

Society needs to grow up and realise that the "community" cannot take responsibility for anyone who can't accept it him/herself.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Twiglets
No, I'm not saying it's ok for anyone to be pushed down the queue. I think everyone should be treated equally regardless of circumstances or what their immigration status may be.
Unfortunately there are budget constraints, not unlimited financial resources.

Not everyone can be treated as it is, even without criminals pushing to the front.

There are many people on medical waiting lists all around the country. And some of these will have to be put back further, due to the time and resources being spent on these criminals.

All the doctors and nurses being used for these cases, have had to drop what they were doing, change surgery schedules etc., delay other operations etc...

If it was your son/daughter/mother that had waited for ages for an urgent operation, but was sidelined because because a criminal stuffed up and criminals got hurt, would you be happy ? or would you be like I suggested in my original post and feel that it is a bit unfair ?

Only a Saint would be happy for their innocent relative to be sidelined so a criminal can be looked after in priority.

If we lived in Utopia, with unlimited financial and medical staff resources, and everyone could be treated it may be different, but we don't. We have financial and staff resource restrictions.

Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

We need to be very careful that we separate out the two main aspects of this thread.

1. There is an increase in boat people coming to Australia since the Labour government relaxed the laws. (The relaxing of the laws may have had nothing to do with the increase, but it is a fact that the numbers have increased since the laws were changed).

2. There are some refugees with horrific injuries that need treatment.

Its important that we dont let the bleeding heart PC brigade hijack the debate about point one by beating us up about point 2.

I will not argue about treatment of the refugees injuries. That has to happen without question.

But we need to be very careful what signals we are sending out to the millions of people that want to leave third world hell holes and start a new life of luxury on social welfare in Australia.

Its only a few boats now, but that is probably what the Aborigines thought when the first fleet sailed into Botany Bay.

Australia needs to make a rational decision about what the demographic and social makeup of the country will be in the future to avoid any repeats of the Cronulla Riots.

Some of the recent violence in Sydney gives us some clues as to what lays in store if we keep binging in people that dont fit into our society.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-r...0328-9eri.html

The rise and rise of new gangs

* Les Kennedy
* March 29, 2009

THEY call themselves MBM - the Muslim Brotherhood Movement - a gang of 600 men who boast they are the toughest and best young street fighters of Middle Eastern descent in
Even hardened private security guards have expressed concern to police about the indiscriminate "punch and run" tactics of MBM members who, in the past two weeks, have arrived in large numbers at city nightclub venues and who walk the streets in intimidating mobs. But the objectives of MBM - its emblem features two crossed pistols and a hand grenade - and its leadership remain unclear to officers of both the Organised Crime and Gang Squad and Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad.
Police say that a fortnight ago MBM members embarked upon a campaign of random assaults on men who crossed the path of a mob of about 100 toughs stalking Darlinghurst and Kings Cross during the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.

A week ago about 30 MBM members intimidated private security guards at government car auctions at Smithfield.

Police say BFL - with a logo featuring crossed machine-guns - is not dissimilar to MBM in its extremist views, but membership numbers are unknown. Police describe Asesinoz, comprising teenagers of Middle Eastern decent, as "tough kids" who use the video-sharing website YouTube to promote Islamic extremism and anti-Australian actions such as flag burning.

The group, which recently changed its name from the Parra Boyz, has more than 40 members, some of whom are known to police for committing acts of violence and vandalism.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:12 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Unfortunately there are budget constraints, not unlimited financial resources.

Not everyone can be treated as it is, even without criminals pushing to the front.

There are many people on medical waiting lists all around the country. And some of these will have to be put back further, due to the time and resources being spent on these criminals.

All the doctors and nurses being used for these cases, have had to drop what they were doing, change surgery schedules etc., delay other operations etc...

If it was your son/daughter/mother that had waited for ages for an urgent operation, but was sidelined because because a criminal stuffed up and criminals got hurt, would you be happy ? or would you be like I suggested in my original post and feel that it is a bit unfair ?

Only a Saint would be happy for their innocent relative to be sidelined so a criminal can be looked after in priority.

If we lived in Utopia, with unlimited financial and medical staff resources, and everyone could be treated it may be different, but we don't. We have financial and staff resource restrictions.
Can't argue with any of that.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

lastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant futurelastone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by UncleKev
We need to be very careful that we separate out the two main aspects of this thread.

1. There is an increase in boat people coming to Australia since the Labour government relaxed the laws. (The relaxing of the laws may have had nothing to do with the increase, but it is a fact that the numbers have increased since the laws were changed).

2. There are some refugees with horrific injuries that need treatment.

Its important that we dont let the bleeding heart PC brigade hijack the debate about point one by beating us up about point 2.

I will not argue about treatment of the refugees injuries. That has to happen without question.

But we need to be very careful what signals we are sending out to the millions of people that want to leave third world hell holes and start a new life of luxury on social welfare in Australia.

Its only a few boats now, but that is probably what the Aborigines thought when the first fleet sailed into Botany Bay.

Australia needs to make a rational decision about what the demographic and social makeup of the country will be in the future to avoid any repeats of the Cronulla Riots.

Some of the recent violence in Sydney gives us some clues as to what lays in store if we keep binging in people that dont fit into our society.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-r...0328-9eri.html

The point of the thread was to illustrate the heartless pricks putting a value on a human life.

As I said in the original post, treat them and let DIMA sort them out, it WAS NOT about illegal immigration.

If that turns me into a "bleeding heart PC brigade person" then fine.

This thread has shown several people up for what they are.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lastone
The point of the thread was to illustrate the heartless pricks putting a value on a human life.
I assume you are not talking about the people smugglers who put a dollar value on these human lives, or those that spread the petrol ready to set alight to the boats etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.