Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:29 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What has happened to humanity - Afghan Refugees, Perth?

I think everyone would be very sorry for these and other illegals. But the fact remains that, using UN definitions, there are probably hundreds of millions and possibly billions of people on this planet who could legitimately claim asylum. If even a fraction tried to get to a country, at what point would that country pull down the shutters? Ten thousand? A million? The full Monty?

Billions of humans are going to perish through hunger, war and displacement over the next few decades and that's a tragedy. But if large numbers of people leave a country because a totalitarian regime persecutes them all that happens in the long run is that the regime gets more and more powerful. (Qv Zimbabwe.)

The Americans fought for their independence from the (oppressive?) British: if the dissidents had fled to Mexico Gordon Brown might be administering the States....

Last edited by Wol; Apr 18th 2009 at 9:37 am.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bcworld
I don't buy into the idea that the first country where they set foot should always be the one to offer asylum (or imprisonment, whatever is relevant) - otherwise the UK and Australia would accomodate no genuine asylum seekers - whereas most countries, including the UK and Australia accept their moral responsibility to assist their fair share of genuine refugees. The UK press would of course have you believe that the UK is the only country that offers asylum to refugees.
The UNHCR's preferred durable solutions for refugees are:

* voluntary return to their home country as soon as possible in conditions of safety and dignity
* local integration in the country of first asylum if return is not feasible
* resettlement in a third country if neither of the options above are possible or suitable.

Under the third category, Australia accepts about 13,000 people per year.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 9:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
The Americans fought for their independence from the (oppressive?) British: if the dissidents had fled to Mexico Gordon Brown might be administering the States....
Now that is an Interesting thought...

Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Twiglets is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Rather a different topic, don't you think? Unless there are people out there putting themselves through nicotine addiction or childbirth just to claim refugee status?
Nope, same topic. I work with young people who have major addictions, serious self harm and unwanted pregnancies purely to escape the realism of their current situation, so you could argue that they deliberately choose this way of life.
They don't need to flee a country but they generally need to flee their fxxxed up families and lives and come into a hospital as a place of safety and refuge - maybe even taking up a bed that may be just as genuinely needed by another patient.
Just as well that most of the people in my profession are not so judgemental as some on here.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
People don't just get classified as 'genuine refugees' because they are poor, but also because they are unsafe or persecuted in their own countries......irrespective of what they can afford to pay a people smuggler. That might be the case here, it might not be. Do you know? I don't.
The term "genuine refugee's" used to apply to a certain few fleeing from persurcution usually from wartorn countries.Now it is used by anybody who can get to a western country,the benefits avaliable usually determine the country they reach.Many countries in the region will offer a fellow muslim safe haven,but they do not give a free house ,health care,education,grant for a car.The UK does,thats why it the number one destination for aslyum seekers.Australia may pursue the same policy as the UK,who knows.Australia has benefitted from the strict immigration rules in the past,if thease rules are relaxed it may not be the top choice for uk migrants in the future.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Twiglets
Nope, same topic. I work with young people who have major addictions, serious self harm and unwanted pregnancies purely to escape the realism of their current situation, so you could argue that they deliberately choose this way of life.
They don't need to flee a country but they generally need to flee their fxxxed up families and lives and come into a hospital as a place of safety and refuge - maybe even taking up a bed that may be just as genuinely needed by another patient.
Just as well that most of the people in my profession are not so judgemental as some on here.
Your post puzzles me.

Are you saying that you feel it is OK for Australians with the problems that you have highlighted, to be pushed down the queue, so that illegals can gain treatment in preference ?

I do feel that most people do agree that these badly injured people do need urgent treatment, but I also understand why some people might feel that it is unfair that other local people, such as those you mentioned, end up losing out on their own treatment.

Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:11 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I think everyone would be very sorry for these and other illegals. But the fact remains that, using UN definitions, there are probably hundreds of millions and possibly billions of people on this planet who could legitimately claim asylum. If even a fraction tried to get to a country, at what point would that country pull down the shutters? Ten thousand? A million? The full Monty?

Billions of humans are going to perish through hunger, war and displacement over the next few decades and that's a tragedy. But if large numbers of people leave a country because a totalitarian regime persecutes them all that happens in the long run is that the regime gets more and more powerful. (Qv Zimbabwe.)

Excellent post & reasons why no one country can sort out the worlds problems. Idealistically every safe country saves every persecuted person. Realistically no one country can do this which is why there is/should be a system to adhere to.

These people skip the process putting their own lives and others at risk as well as a strain on already limited infrastructure. Allowing them to get away with it encourages more of the same behavior. There's no easy answer
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Twiglets is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your post puzzles me.

Are you saying that you feel it is OK for Australians with the problems that you have highlighted, to be pushed down the queue, so that illegals can gain treatment in preference ?

I do feel that most people do agree that these badly injured people do need urgent treatment, but I also understand why some people might feel that it is unfair that other local people, such as those you mentioned, end up losing out on their own treatment.
No, I'm not saying it's ok for anyone to be pushed down the queue. I think everyone should be treated equally regardless of circumstances or what their immigration status may be. It should always be need based. I've worked for the health dept in both the UK and Oz for 25 yrs and have never known anyone to 'lose out on treatment' because of others. They may lose out because of policies and budgets, but not because of need. Oh and before you start a new discussion - illegal immigrants and refugees don't make any impact on emergency healthcare in these countries. My opinion only of course.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

The whole thing is a complete scam. Young men living in a third world country somehow save up $10,000!!!! How is this done legally, given that they are supposed to be under oppression?

Then having saved up $10,000, they bribe a people smuggler and fly off to Asia and are then put up at hotels until they join a boat for the final leg to Australia. Do they just rock on up to the departure lounge at Kabul airport? How are they able to get smuggled out of their countries where they are under all this oppression. How come its OK to leave their wife(s) and kids behind being oppressed while they sail off around the world, cherry picking the best destinations on the globe. Why dont they settle in Indonesia which is the world's biggest Muslim country?

Here is a new flash. If my wife and kids were in danger, I would not run away and leave them to be raped and oppressed while I wander the globe checking out the country with the most generous social welfare benefits.

I would get my family out of danger and to the nearest safe destination that had a similar culture to the one that I belonged to.

The whole refugee game is a totally illegal business operation that is being used to make fortunes for some and allow others to jump the queue to a better economic life.

I have a lot of sympathy for some of the British readers of this forum who are going through all the correct channels, paying out good money in fees and yet will probably miss out on their dream of coming to Australia because of the economic downturn, but will get to watch in amazement as opportunistic criminals who will never contribute anything to Australia will jump the queue to the good life down under.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I do not feel sorry for these criminals at all, in fact I'd be in favour of the Australian Navy blowing the boats up themselves as the are entering Australian waters illegally.

There are plenty of countries these people could go to but they are deliberately coming to countries like Australia and the UK to 'steal' the benefits that are on offer in our soft-touch societies.

They are no different to the other refugees that cross half a dozen safe Western countries to try and sneak into the UK through the channel tunnel.

No doubt some will express horror at my attitude, but these people are deliberate in their criminal actions - not genuine refugees.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by UncleKev
The whole thing is a complete scam. Young men living in a third world country somehow save up $10,000!!!! How is this done legally, given that they are supposed to be under oppression?

Then having saved up $10,000, they bribe a people smuggler and fly off to Asia and are then put up at hotels until they join a boat for the final leg to Australia. Do they just rock on up to the departure lounge at Kabul airport? How are they able to get smuggled out of their countries where they are under all this oppression. How come its OK to leave their wife(s) and kids behind being oppressed while they sail off around the world, cherry picking the best destinations on the globe. Why dont they settle in Indonesia which is the world's biggest Muslim country?

Here is a new flash. If my wife and kids were in danger, I would not run away and leave them to be raped and oppressed while I wander the globe checking out the country with the most generous social welfare benefits.

I would get my family out of danger and to the nearest safe destination that had a similar culture to the one that I belonged to.

The whole refugee game is a totally illegal business operation that is being used to make fortunes for some and allow others to jump the queue to a better economic life.

I have a lot of sympathy for some of the British readers of this forum who are going through all the correct channels, paying out good money in fees and yet will probably miss out on their dream of coming to Australia because of the economic downturn, but will get to watch in amazement as opportunistic criminals who will never contribute anything to Australia will jump the queue to the good life down under.
Well said Uncle Kev
Old Apr 18th 2009, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

Perth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nice

Top post Kev
Its precisely the lilly livered opinions of the PC brigade that have made me leave my home country to find a better life elsewhere where I am not a 2nd class citizen in my country of birth. I have found it here in Australia and I will work hard and pay my way to stay here, its cost me enough to get here anyway. If its that bad where they come from why not stop the minute they get out of that country? Oh, no thay can sit on their backsides and get everything laid on a plate for them elsewhere. Make them go through the proper channels like the rest of us who wish to come here.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Perth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nicePerth Massive is just really nice

Originally Posted by lastone

Then got in the car to listen to several 'people' ask where the money was coming from to treat them and that they shouldn't even be treated here!!
why should they be treated here? Put em on a boat back to Indonesia or their last port of call. They were willing to run the risk, live by the sword and that.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twiglets
Sorry to say, but this is WA - one of the most insular and racist places around. Maybe some of these 'onlookers' were the same people who left the UK because it was 'full of immigrants'.

It's a sad and shameful world that we live in sometimes. I work in a hospital in Perth and am shocked daily by the ignorance of both staff and patients. :curse:
Perth is insular yes but would hardly think it one of the most racist places around.Sad to say people in most countries would make similar comments to people landing in such fashion.
Do find it a shame that so many Britons that come to this country hold such intolerent views....
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
people also need to remember that they where trying to get here illegally.They had a choice of many countries far closer,and also far more suited to their culture and religion.They targetted Australia because of the generous benefits on offer.Medical treatment should be given regardless of who they are,after that send them home.A dollar sent to Afghanistan in aid goes a lot further than keeping an aslyum seeker in AUS on benefits.This may seem heartless but it does make sense.Illegal immigration is a worldwide problem,especially in Europe,Usa,and in Aus.Alot of people have the same opinion,but wont air their views in this PC age.
Yes people seeking sanctuary in other places is a big problem to many countries around the world with by far the greatest number going to lands that can least afford to shelter them namely Iran, Pakistan,Kenya,Guinea,etc
Australia can at this stage not really be called having a problem when a few hundred arrive over some months.Italy Spain Greece have had tens of thousands make land fall in their countries in a similar time frame.
Agree what is required is a global solution to what is in effect a global problem.
Do not agree that many people are in any wat reticent in expressing non PC views on this subject ...just read this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.