Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What happens to your Super Annuation contributions if you leave Aus for good

What happens to your Super Annuation contributions if you leave Aus for good

Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What happens to your Super Annuation contributions if you leave Aus for good

Hi

Just a quicky I have been in Aus on a working visa and there is the distinct probablility I will have to return to the UK permanently for family reasons.

What happens to my Super contributions if indeed we do return home ?

Thanks

Nixxy
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What happens to your Super Annuation contributions if you leave Aus for good

if you are a temporary resident then you can apply to have them released once you have left the country, if you are PR or a citizen then I think they are stuck here
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happens to your Super Annuation contributions if you leave Aus for good

Originally Posted by Nixxy
Hi

Just a quicky I have been in Aus on a working visa and there is the distinct probablility I will have to return to the UK permanently for family reasons.

What happens to my Super contributions if indeed we do return home ?

Thanks

Nixxy
Have a look in the Moving Back to the UK forum as it has been discussed in there, and there are some very good threads on it.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Pollyana, I missed that part of the forum
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:25 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nixxy
Thanks Pollyana, I missed that part of the forum
You've been lucky then. It's like missing a bullet

As someone said above if you're a temp resident (which is what I assume a working visa is) then you can apply to have it refunded less a bit of tax.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi I was on a permanent visa and came back the UK, I got mine back.

Bluekipper
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper

Bluekipper
How did you manage that? I think there are a lot of folk who would like to know because the regs state quite clearly that you cant. Did you have to wait for your visa to expire or were there some other forms that gave you exemption?

If you are a temp resident and dont take your super with you then it gets put into some consolidated revenue pot to be used by the govt and earn little to no interest! So definitely in your best interests to take it if you are a temp resident!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Bluekipper
That would have been a while ago.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone, I started a new thread in the correct foum and someone posted this, very useful

http://ato.gov.au/superfunds/content....htm&page=2&H2
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That would have been a while ago.
Or the superannuation provider broke the rules, intentionally or not.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Originally Posted by quoll
How did you manage that? I think there are a lot of folk who would like to know because the regs state quite clearly that you cant. Did you have to wait for your visa to expire or were there some other forms that gave you exemption?

If you are a temp resident and dont take your super with you then it gets put into some consolidated revenue pot to be used by the govt and earn little to no interest! So definitely in your best interests to take it if you are a temp resident!
It was just under 3 yrs ago,, no my visa has not ran out,,we were only in OZ one year,, I believe if you get citizenship you dont get your super back!

Bluekipper
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It was just under 3 yrs ago,, no my visa has not ran out,,we were only in OZ one year,, I believe if you get citizenship you dont get your super back!

Bluekipper
No the rules actually say permanent residence not citizenship. I think there are a lot of returning PRs who would love to know how to do it - as JAJ said, maybe it was a super provider breaking the rules.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sounds like it. Or maybe it was less than $200.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Apr 10th 2010 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

What about if you renounce citizenship?

I’m planning on leaving Oz (either in June or in 2 and half years, still working it out, lol). Anyway, I have a lot of super and wanted to know about getting it out (I’m an Oz Citizen).

What if I renounce my Australian Citizenship... can you get it out early then? I’d rather have 50k + in my hand than a useless blue book (Aus passport). I’m only 25 and don’t really want to wait until retirement.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless they are 55 plus like myself. I'm fairly confident I can get mine now ?

I was called worried for a while then. Thought I had to wait another 11 years.

That was the other reason I was looking at cheap housing in the UK, Trying to find some faint futile benefit out of turning 55

BTW Funniest thing with this changing the retirement age for us, My wife who is two years younger than me, now retires only 1 year younger @ 67 for her and 66 for me.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 12th 2010 at 4:24 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.