Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

To start with CHOICE,COMPETITION and VALUE for money

Biscuits, beer, danish bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, ready meals, t bags, roast chicken, cod, etc etc
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pennines49

Biscuits, beer, danish bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, ready meals, t bags, roast chicken, cod, etc etc
be there or be square
Old Dec 29th 2012, 2:49 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously??????
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Being in the UK right now I have to agree, I dont notice any difference in the quality of stuff like fresh fruit and veg but most of it is way cheaper and the range is amazing, we still havent got used to the variety available.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 8:40 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78
One of the worst pints of Guinness I ever had, was at the Guinness factory. But had some bootiful pints in many an Irish pub
The best and to date only pint of Guiness I ever had was at the Guinness factory in Dublin. I thought it was very good.

I don't really miss a great deal of food from the UK. Paxo stuffing, proper Marmalade, Sarsons Vinegar, instant custard powder, cadburys Bourneville cocoa (not the Australian version), Tetley tea bags. I get all these from an ex-pat shop. All other food and drink is just groceries.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

We've been back in the UK for 3 weeks (this is planned as a permanent return) and have spent a ridiculous amount of time in supermarkets. Although I am over the moon to have some of my old favourites freely available I have to confess to being a little overwhelmed by some of the massive superstores, and particularly the volume of processed food available. Even leaving aside the ready meals, you can buy so much food already prepared/ready to cook, which saddens me. I know this is starting to happen in Australia and I'm sure the trend will continue but it is noticeably worse here.

I still love British supermarkets but I do miss, to a degree, the simplicity of my old supermarkets in Melbourne (and I definitely miss queen vic market).
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

mays is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almo
We've been back in the UK for 3 weeks (this is planned as a permanent return) and have spent a ridiculous amount of time in supermarkets. Although I am over the moon to have some of my old favourites freely available I have to confess to being a little overwhelmed by some of the massive superstores, and particularly the volume of processed food available. Even leaving aside the ready meals, you can buy so much food already prepared/ready to cook, which saddens me. I know this is starting to happen in Australia and I'm sure the trend will continue but it is noticeably worse here.

I still love British supermarkets but I do miss, to a degree, the simplicity of my old supermarkets in Melbourne (and I definitely miss queen vic market).
I agree about the ready meals in the UK. Unfortuantely people are either too busy or just don't know how to cook anymore. No wonder obesity is a problem. I hope Australia doesn't end up the same. The choice and variety of fresh fruit and veg here is fantastic!
When we first arrived here in the late 90s, I thought the supermarkets were disappointing because of the limited choice but now I'm glad.
I do still miss some of the old British favourites though!! (listed in an earlier post).
Hope you settle in ok over there.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 2:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mays
I agree about the ready meals in the UK. Unfortuantely people are either too busy or just don't know how to cook anymore. No wonder obesity is a problem. I hope Australia doesn't end up the same. The choice and variety of fresh fruit and veg here is fantastic!
When we first arrived here in the late 90s, I thought the supermarkets were disappointing because of the limited choice but now I'm glad.
I do still miss some of the old British favourites though!! (listed in an earlier post).
Hope you settle in ok over there.
Australia already has as much obesity as the Uk if not more.

Fruit and veg little difference.....certainly no fresher or more choice here.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Pennines49 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, not with Chicken Treat, KFC,Maccas and KFC on every corner !
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Bisto, Bisto, Bisto!!! Thankfully we've found it stocked in the British shops in Brisvegas. Bloody expensive though, but then isn't everything here now? I also really miss M&S food, both packaged and fresh produce. I miss ripe fruit. I never thought I'd say that because when I've been here on previous holidays the fresh stuff was of a much better standard than in London. I don't know if it's because I'm in Brisbane and not Sydney or Melbourne. Is it any better there?

Onken yoghurt with the grains in it
Bagels
A good quality take away/eat in curry - a miss my occasional Friday night lamb korma - watery and flavourless here
Fresh leafy greens that don't wilt as soon as you pick them up off the shelf

I'm in North Brisbane so any suggestions on where to source any of the above would be gratefully received.

Someone told me recently that one of the supermarkets is stocking Heston Waitrose ready made meals just with different packaging. Anyone know which one and what they are called? We don't really eat ready made meals but I'd like to try one.

Percy Pigs!

Last edited by Machine; Jan 3rd 2013 at 3:32 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

I have noticed that there are not many ready made meals available in supermarkets which surprised me because Australia is now the second fattest nation on earth. Not surprising really with the availability of fast food on every corner.

I have read through all the replies and want to second missing proper fish and chips (cod and fat chips). British fish and chip shop Chumleys in Birkdale (Brisbane) do good fish and chips. The cod is flakey, not mushy like you'd find in a fish and chip take away here and the chips decent. I think they're trying to sell up though so it's bound to go down hill. If you're thinking of going, go early, the queues are long. My local makes each order as it comes in, one at a time, so you have to wait at least 45 mins and it's shite. Who does that? How are these people still in business?

Restaurant food here, even the so called good places, is also pants. Everything is over salted and flavourless. How can this be with so much fresh produce grown locally? Is it just Brisbane? Have I gone back in time, possibly to the 50's?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not normally a convenience food girl but our local Woolies started selling Jamie Oliver frozen fishcakes so as we all like fish I thought I would try them. The smoked whiting with spinach and cheese ones are absolutely delicious and served with a mixed salad went down well.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, not with Chicken Treat, KFC,Maccas and KFC on every corner !
I agree. The UK and Australia are both terrible for this kind of thing.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:18 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Australia already has as much obesity as the Uk if not more.

Fruit and veg little difference.....certainly no fresher or more choice here.
Yes agreed, Im not sure where this ideal comes from that there is more choice in Australia, it certainly isnt what we are finding and definitely not fresher in Australia, we have found that fresh is fresh.
I do love the fact that there isnt a fast food joint of every corner here, part of the Americanisation of Australia I really dislike.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes agreed, Im not sure where this ideal comes from that there is more choice in Australia, it certainly isnt what we are finding and definitely not fresher in Australia, we have found that fresh is fresh.
I do love the fact that there isnt a fast food joint of every corner here, part of the Americanisation of Australia I really dislike.
What part of the Americanisation of the UK do you like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.