Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Aug 14th 2012, 3:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Now.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
There is a Hooters in Parramatta, there are Hungry Horse in various locations around outskirts of Sydney, also Hard Rock and Outback restaurants. Of all of them I reckon Outback is more American Diner style.
Or if you're feeling really rich Hurricanes.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

livvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura aboutlivvyg has a spectacular aura about

I second the cereal, the choice here is a little sparse. Shreddies would be top of the list, then cinnamon toast crunch and then good old grapenuts!
Old Aug 14th 2012, 7:57 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livvyg
I second the cereal, the choice here is a little sparse. Shreddies would be top of the list, then cinnamon toast crunch and then good old grapenuts!
I LURVE grape nuts

Not there yet, so not sure what I may miss. Possibly proper bacon, but don't have it that often, or really good cheese, but am quite happy to investigate Aussie alternatives

We'll be fairly close to Hahndorf so some of the European foods we enjoy should be available

Looking forward to increasing my cooking repertoire

Last edited by rasen78; Aug 14th 2012 at 8:29 am. Reason: repairing a Freudian slip
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:03 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

For us it would be in reverse, what food do we miss from Australia ? For me it is Dim Sims, that's all.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by renth
Decent sausages, real ale.
+1 I'd never seen a chicken sausage until I came here. Seriously, WTF
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

I notice that many branches of Woolies around Brisbane seem to have rearranged their stores to be just like the UK where things are where you'd expect them to be. Probably how they *should* have been all along and also explains why I couldn;t find jack shit at the supermarket when I first came here.

For some strange reason though, chicken is still in 3 separate locations. A bit of it is in with the fish, some at the deli counter and the rest on the other side of the store near the pet food.

Has anyone found frozen mince here?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chris955
For us it would be in reverse, what food do we miss from Australia ? For me it is Dim Sims, that's all.
Totally agree ....... usually get a bag or three when I go home and have some every day ........
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
I notice that many branches of Woolies around Brisbane seem to have rearranged their stores to be just like the UK where things are where you'd expect them to be. Probably how they *should* have been all along and also explains why I couldn;t find jack shit at the supermarket when I first came here.

For some strange reason though, chicken is still in 3 separate locations. A bit of it is in with the fish, some at the deli counter and the rest on the other side of the store near the pet food.

Has anyone found frozen mince here?
Food has always been where I expect it and I've never seen chicken with fish! You've got some well weird Woolies!

Edit: Why do you want frozen mince? Can't you buy fresh and freeze it?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

The Byford two have released the following statement.

"life here in Oz is pretty ok really, being elderly we appreciate the amount of time we get basking in the sun, although we do miss radiators to curl up against......

......... Life would be complete if only we could find Whiskas supermeat with Rabbit"
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by eddie007
The Byford two have released the following statement.

"life here in Oz is pretty ok really, being elderly we appreciate the amount of time we get basking in the sun, although we do miss radiators to curl up against......

......... Life would be complete if only we could find Whiskas supermeat with Rabbit"
Don't you cook for them?
Old Aug 14th 2012, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't you cook for them?
What makes you think they would eat my cooking? None of the rest of the family do...

Apart from the hounds from Hell..... But they are dumb doawgs... Nuff said
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

What makes you think they would eat my cooking? None of the rest of the family do...

Apart from the hounds from Hell..... But they are dumb doawgs... Nuff said

Well tell them to find a British shop, they're sure to sell it.
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well tell them to find a British shop, they're sure to sell it.
Not even in pommie perf mate.... Dont think i havent looked
Old Aug 14th 2012, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Not even in pommie perf mate.... Dont think i havent looked
You've got one of those funky violently expensive cook pot things, I'm sure you can find a recipe onlne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.