Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:14 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Decent sausages, real ale.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the Caribbean food I got in London. Patties, jerk chicken, dumplings...

Now I've sourced a couple of excellent curryhouses here - its the only cuisine left I haven't found in Sydney.

Last edited by JoeBloggs80; Aug 13th 2012 at 4:20 am.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing. Every now and then I remember something and for a brief moment think ooh wouldn't mind that. A couple of minutes after that I've forgotten so I obviously didn't miss it as much as I thought for a couple of seconds.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Tony74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Thanks everyone for your replies, doesn't seem that you are missing much.

We are looking at either Oz or Canada to live and heard that getting certain British foods was really expensive. The Mrs is a serious chocoholic and couldn't find a decent choc bar to match the UK ones.

Thanks again
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Takeaway curry, that's about it.

A few pints in an English Pub followed by a curry would be Action #1 should I take a trip back to the UK. I may even bypass the family

Most takeaway food is rubbish around here to be honest.

I do much more cooking these days (using some produce in the herb/veggie gardens, always nice) so I can't say it bothers me.
Chinese's Iv had have been poor. Full of MSG in the dishes.

An the curries are basically the same sauce with meaty lumps and different food colour. No vege in them at all.

Terrible terrible food.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tony74

We are looking at either Oz or Canada to live and heard that getting certain British foods was really expensive. The Mrs is a serious chocoholic and couldn't find a decent choc bar to match the UK ones.

Thanks again
What brands of chocolate?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 10:26 am
Just Joined

weenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really nice

I'm hoping not to miss chocolate and lose some weight haha I have to have a bit of chocolate everyday especially just out the freezer yum! Hope when I'm out there it's too warm and I don't fancy it x
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:04 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony74

Thanks again
WHAT??? Are you seriously basing your choice of relocation on availability of British Food???? Hmmmm.......I smell a rat!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 11:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
WHAT??? Are you seriously basing your choice of relocation on availability of British Food???? Hmmmm.......I smell a rat!
Same rat that I smelt above maybe?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:02 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Chinese's Iv had have been poor. Full of MSG in the dishes.

An the curries are basically the same sauce with meaty lumps and different food colour. No vege in them at all.

Terrible terrible food.
We actually have a half-decent Chinese restaurant 20 mins drive away but it's still no match for the UK. Just too bland for me.

The Thai Orchid is probably the best take-away around here (i.e. within an hours drive) and it's by a long margin. Still quite salty though.

Good job I like cooking now
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Tony74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Wow some of you are a suspicious bunch but afraid not up to anything. Researched all the serious stuff and was interested in the silly stuff.

Still might open a Chinese, sounds like a lot of money could be made if it tasted like the ones here!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Out of everyone that says they can't find English bacon(which is usually danish anyway) or decent sausages ever tried really hard to source them. I'd only been here 3 months before I found a butcher's shop with qualified English and Irish butchers working for them. Seriously best sausages I've ever had. 100 different types but if it's just pork you want it's there. Bacon is top notch. And they even do blac k and white pudding.

Not too many decent curry houses but they are there. What I miss is basic cod, chips and curry sauce.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 12:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
Out of everyone that says they can't find English bacon(which is usually danish anyway) or decent sausages ever tried really hard to source them. I'd only been here 3 months before I found a butcher's shop with qualified English and Irish butchers working for them. Seriously best sausages I've ever had. 100 different types but if it's just pork you want it's there. Bacon is top notch. And they even do blac k and white pudding.

Not too many decent curry houses but they are there. What I miss is basic cod, chips and curry sauce.
My local chippy does cod. No curry sauce though but I was never a fan of chippy or Chinese curry sauce so no worries.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My local chippy does cod. No curry sauce though but I was never a fan of chippy or Chinese curry sauce so no worries.
Luckily flake isn't too bad and I worked out how to make it with keens :-). Still can't find the soggy chips though.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

jackcurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

Guinness....a nice, pint of cold Guinness...mmm! Queue Homer Simpson style dribble...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.