Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:22 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Foods Do You Miss From the UK?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Or as already posted for Mcdonalds http://geography.about.com/gi/o.htm?...7s_restaurants

US - 18590 or 1 for every 16730 people
England (meaning UK) - 2,600 or 1 for every 24230 people
Aus - 780 or 1 for every 29487 people
Quite a big discrepancy in these figures. I wonder if there are any definitive ones out there. Can't see anything on their website.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:41 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Quite a big discrepancy in these figures. I wonder if there are any definitive ones out there. Can't see anything on their website.
TBH does it really matter - there are way too many wherever you are in the world - McD's have outlets in every continent except Antartica, and I guess the others are the same. I did find a Daily Mail article that said Subway was overtaking McD's in the UK, but they're only slightly better IMO.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 8:13 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
TBH does it really matter - there are way too many wherever you are in the world - McD's have outlets in every continent except Antartica, and I guess the others are the same. I did find a Daily Mail article that said Subway was overtaking McD's in the UK, but they're only slightly better IMO.
MacDonald's are not in the burger business, but the real estate business, so where they have more stores is a good indicator of local economy, that's why I'm interested in it.

I don't really have a problem with them from a nutrition perspective because no one is forced to eat themselves obese in their stores, and they have provided a lot of employment around the world as well. But the stores are ugly, and they do put smaller business out of business of course.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Give O'Çonnors a try, owned by the same Irish people as Celtic Koala. Real battered North Atlantic cod

Yes!
Thanks. I've bought a few things from Celtic Koala (wine gums, Bisto) before but never tried O'Connors. I'll give 'em a try. Do they make fat chips? Do they also do the great British fry-up? I'm sure I read about them. Have you been and tried, and if so, any good? I might take the OH for a treat if it comes recommended.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Machine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I would love to put in direct competition to McDonalds

Drive through with healthy food.
Please do. You'd get my custom.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
All these posts about numbers of McDonalds, yet no one has pointed out the CEO of McDonalds in the UK is called Jill McDonald... wonder if she is married to someone called Ronald?

Maybe another reason the fast food outlets such as McD's, KFC, Hungry Jacks (aka Burger King) etc. stand out so much in Oz is because it tends to be somewhat more spartan here than the highly populated areas in the UK.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 11:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Machine

Maybe another reason the fast food outlets such as McD's, KFC, Hungry Jacks (aka Burger King) etc. stand out so much in Oz is because it tends to be somewhat more spartan here than the highly populated areas in the UK.
and because there are more of them per person