Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the first thing you do?

What is the first thing you do?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice
Default What is the first thing you do?

So you've just been on a long flight and landed in Australia. You're tired, jet lagged and just want to relax, so you have all your suitcases, hand luggage, baby on your hip. You're standing outside the airport and ....

What happens next?

What is the best thing to do? Arrange a rental property online before you go out? Book into a hostel? Hotel? Become great friends with other BE members (I'm friendly, I don't bite!) and stay at their house?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:02 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the first thing you do?

Originally Posted by SW3105
So you've just been on a long flight and landed in Australia. You're tired, jet lagged and just want to relax, so you have all your suitcases, hand luggage, baby on your hip. You're standing outside the airport and ....

What happens next?

What is the best thing to do? Arrange a rental property online before you go out? Book into a hostel? Hotel? Become great friends with other BE members (I'm friendly, I don't bite!) and stay at their house?
I'd go for a beer
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

What happens next?

For a start i'd wonder where the baby came from ..

Joking apart we fly 3 weeks today , and we have booked a hotel for the first two weeks. You dont want to start looking for somewhere to stay when your grumpy and jet lagged.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:09 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Icarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond reputeIcarus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mands
For a start i'd wonder where the baby came from ..
lol
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

SW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really niceSW3105 is just really nice

Hahaha! I knew the baby bit would give someone something to comment about! And Icarus, I'm sure my OH would be sitting next to you at the bar!!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:39 pm
Handsome Internet Guy

Hahaha! I knew the baby bit would give someone something to comment about! And Icarus, I'm sure my OH would be sitting next to you at the bar!!!
hope he has plenty of $ then S
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:38 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know what the best thing is, but here is what we did:

We arranged a furnished rental online/by phone before we arrived. However for one night we stayed in a hotel in central Perth.

Then the next morning we trotted off to the bank (Westpac) round the corner to collect cheque book, debit cards, and banker's draft to pay for car.

We then walked to the insurance company's office and paid our premiums for home contents, car, and ambulance insurance.

Then went back to the hotel and had our car delivered there and handed over the banker's draft. We then drove to the estate agent's office and signed the lease for the furnsihed rental and picked up the keys.

The hotel in central Perth was expensive but it was only for one night and it was worth it as it meant we could do all of the above very easily.

Good luck with the move.

Gina
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

steve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the roughsteve_uk is a jewel in the rough

1st thing - meet all OH's family at airport (there are many of them)
2nd thing - shower and eat
3rd thing - go to bank
4th thing - start looking for work
5th thing - enjoy month off before starting work

thats the plan anyhow....
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Decide how to get from the airport, a have read a lot of people on here who have arranged to hire cars then not been able to fit their bags in.

minibelle
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:12 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Call a cab.

Go to the hotel

Feed and change the baby

Sleep

Find a beach and think about the rest
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Dont forget to slap the cream on

minibelle
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:29 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

1) Pick up hire car
2) Drive to temporary rental
3) Relax
4) Think about next step
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:37 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Wait 2 hours for Swan taxis to arrive? If they ever do.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:43 am

Jumbo_Celcius is on a distinguished road

Wait an hour for 3 suitcases, non of which arrive, arrive at serviced apartments to find they're over priced crap, go to bottle-O and buy vast amounts of beer/red wine, try/fail to get food at 10pm at night, go back to crap apartments and drink all of the above mentioned alcohol.
One thing I would have done different was kick the customs officer in the crotch and shout BOMB ensuring I would never be able to return to Perth again.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:19 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jumbo_Celcius
Wait an hour for 3 suitcases, non of which arrive, arrive at serviced apartments to find they're over priced crap, go to bottle-O and buy vast amounts of beer/red wine, try/fail to get food at 10pm at night, go back to crap apartments and drink all of the above mentioned alcohol.
One thing I would have done different was kick the customs officer in the crotch and shout BOMB ensuring I would never be able to return to Perth again.
And you are tied to this place how?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.