Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What does the 2.5 rule of thumb mean?

What does the 2.5 rule of thumb mean?

Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

PatriciaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does the 2.5 rule of thumb mean?

Hi , I would like to know what the 2.5 rule of thumb means when you are discussing wages in Australia verses uk.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does the 2.5 rule of thumb mean?

It means that the cost of living in Australia is such that most people find you need to use an exchange rate of A$2.5 = £1 when comparing salaries to have an equivalent lifestyle in Australia to that in the UK.

For example, say you earned £50,000 per annum in the UK. At the current exchange rate of ~A$1.6, that is equivalent to A$80,000. However for equivalent buying power you would need a salary of A$125,000 (or at least somewhere between A$115,000 and $125,000 in most people's experience).
Old Dec 8th 2012, 5:57 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
It means that the cost of living in Australia is such that most people find you need to use an exchange rate of A$2.5 = £1 when comparing salaries to have an equivalent lifestyle in Australia to that in the UK.

For example, say you earned £50,000 per annum in the UK. At the current exchange rate of ~A$1.6, that is equivalent to A$80,000. However for equivalent buying power you would need a salary of A$125,000 (or at least somewhere between A$115,000 and $125,000 in most people's experience).
sorry i don't agree the differential in costs and potential income is so wide across Australia your better of looking at your own set of conditions and then working out how much will i need, just going uk x 2.5 i`l be right is a sure way of getting it wrong

ie
where will you live - look at rentals / houses in that area, try http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

job / income will vary from city to city

etc etc etc
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

this rule of thumb is bullshit imo
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry i don't agree the differential in costs and potential income is so wide across Australia your better of looking at your own set of conditions and then working out how much will i need, just going uk x 2.5 i`l be right is a sure way of getting it wrong
I think it is a good rule of thumb, people confirm it works for them over nd over again. Obviously there are some local factors to consider.

With rents being so high here in Sydney, sometimes I think that it is best to isolate the accommodation costs and then compare the remaining living costs using a 2.5 rule of thumb.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PatriciaB
Hi , I would like to know what the 2.5 rule of thumb means when you are discussing wages in Australia verses uk.
**** all

Last edited by Sue; Dec 9th 2012 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Come on watch the language. Thanks
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
**** all
will you please stop beating around the bush and just come out with it
Old Dec 9th 2012, 1:13 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PatriciaB
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

You will get mixed anwers to this question, as you can see! There is no strict or fixed answer but what it does indicate is that you need to be way over the current exchange rate in order to do some rough calculations.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 3:29 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
this rule of thumb is bullshit imo
Yup, totally agree.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:33 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

if money and "history/culture" are your object and don't want risks or the non-quantifiable positives (eg weather, open spaces) - stay where you are.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my rule of thumb - you need to earn as much as possible because Australia has become crazy expensive in the 10 years I've been here. Specially Perth.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Here's my rule of thumb - you need to earn as much as possible because Australia has become crazy expensive in the 10 years I've been here. Specially Perth.
+1

Same in Brisbane
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think I has some merit as a very rough guide. Certainly better than someone using the exchange rate. Obviously it varies a lot on circumstances, for example, for us, it is closer to x3.5.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There will never be agreement about the cost of living. But I think a rule of thumb certainly has a place for those trying to agree a salary package from afar. Someone taking a proposed AUD salary and dividing it by the exchange rate and saying, 'but that's £xx,xxx' may be doing themselves a disservice and may be getting duped by a potential employer.

80,000 / 1.55 might equal over (£)51,000 and that might look favourable compared to a current salary...but it doesn't mean that $80,000 is even close to the going rate for the job. I think this is an area where direct ex rate calculations should be avoided.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 1:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon x9 is about right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.