Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you not like about living in OZ

What do you not like about living in OZ

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Originally Posted by kporte
Global warming? And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.
You too!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alipally
Ignorance and racism is absolutely rife here....
I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"

What can you say when the so called educated professional thinks that this is funny?

News is pants, Telly is pants, Radio is pants and nobody seems to believe in Global warming, or that this will affect them....
let it go over your head. I have also encountered racism here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merv63
lol glad i put this post on here given us lots to smile about knowing we are not the only ones!!!!! thought we were just winging poms haha. syedney you said it in one and well said. we like the place but the people are backstabbing beep beep beeps!!! who just want to screw you over, every pom or south african or anyone not from here says it. well thats in wa anyway. we are yet to come across a loyal and sincere aussie. so keep posting its giving us lots of laughs. would be great to hear from anyone from south west wa we are in bunbury.
Originally Posted by Kim67
I've said it often on this forum - some of you people that hate Australia so much don't need to move back to the UK, but move to a nice suburb with normal people, good schools, okay shopping and not an obese commodore driving bogan in sight.
It's not funny at all is it? To be honest, some of these posts show that something is very, very wrong with a job or place or living. Unfortunately it can take resources - education or money to open up doors, and locations, as the country is not the cheapest place it was. I reckon there is a whole generation of British expats who have been failed.

Originally Posted by alipally
Ignorance and racism is absolutely rife here....
I visit GP surgeries every day as part of my job.... This was a joke posted on a notice board.... I couldn't quite believe that this was in a GP surgery staff room....
'Aborigonal girl getting married. Her mother sits her down and tells her "On your wedding night your new husband will want to put his most prized possession where you pee" The Girl replies to her mother, "why would he want to put his thongs in the sink?"
In the same week I was chatting to a doctor who said to me You're English aren't you?" Yes I replied, smiling. "How's that then, you're the wrong colour!"
Disgusting.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Zimzoe;8672157 rates and taxes, utilities, groceries, car reg, flights etc. are all more expensive than in the UK. They have found very imaginative and mind boggling ways to tax you here. Nearly everything is more expensive, except for petrol. Health care (Medicare) is definitely not free! Most people will need to take out private health insurance.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have to pay rates when you are renting (as in UK) or does the property owner pay the rates (as in NZ)?

What sort of medical expenses do you have to pay for then? I'm only just getting my head around this group-billing stuff for Dr's appointments.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Global warming? And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden.
Talk to them, I'm sure they are quite friendly Used to have a leprechaun at the bottom of my street, but he saw the light and went home
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Talk to them, I'm sure they are quite friendly Used to have a leprechaun at the bottom of my street, but he saw the light and went home
Knowing you you talked him into it "ah, for sure, it's better in the old country, rubbish here....all thick as two planks..."

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 2nd 2010 at 11:29 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Knowing you you talked him into it "ah, for sure, it's better in the old country, rubbish here....all thick as two planks..."
Nowt to do with me, makes up his own mind, I have no influence whatsoever on his decisions
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
So how does this whole 457 thing work then!?
Well,that's a separate thread in itself!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

How burnt out and dry WA gets in summer.
The whole bag checking thing. Particularly bad in places like Target or BigW.
Expense. Probably not so much on groceries but cheap crap clothes, DVD's, CD's. furiture, bedding etc. All mainly substandard quality.
Spiders.
The bag packing thing they insist on doing at the supermarket.
It isn't that close to Europe (yes, ok I know that is obvious but being here has shown me how much I like to try different cultures on holiday and have different money in my purse. Australia, although beautiful with lots and lots to see in many ways is exactly the same as being at home, ie same money, same shops, same restaurants etc.
The driving. Still shocks me.
TV - can't believe Wimbledon is on and it isn't being shown live. Only at 4 am tomorrow morning.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Chocolate. Never in to it, could leave it at a drop of a hat, but since coming here i love UK chocolate. Cannot stand the sh**e over here.
Shopping, come on i am from Derby in the midlands. Its not a prosperous place, or is it, perhaps thats one thing i have learnt. Farmers markets, the fresh veg the meat AAAARRRRGGGGhhHHHH!
Never Thought I would say it but i Think.
I am English Through and Through.95.5% anglo saxon.
I appreciate my country, the cultural diversity, the laid back attitude, the fact that you have family and friends no matter what colour or origin, the best economy in the world, the best cars, houses and food. Your kids will learn to read and write early and efficeintly.
Welcome to Heaven, welcome to England!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:28 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

AAAARRRRGGGGhhHHHH!
I live there.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:34 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

No radiators
crap windows (like green house glass)
Bag checking
overpriced everything
lack of choice
Everything closed at 5pm and on Sundays
like living in 70's
crap quality everything
Drivers cant merge or use roundabouts
too many traffic lights
crap broadband and crap Foxtel rip off not as good as Sky
Hoons
Distance too far away from anything and travel so expensive
no nice pubs with nice beer gardens and comfy seats and beer soo expensive!
Visitors thinking they can rock up and stay with you and treat your home like a hotel whenever they feel like they want to book a free holiday!!!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I live there.
I am so jealous. I am in Brisbane and mate,,,,,,,, I dont know where to start.
The thoughts, the farms, the sainsburys. you can never describe it, the jobs, the,the,the.
"I will be English Till I Die"
Never said it before but after this experience that is what i am.

Last edited by mark wool; Jul 2nd 2010 at 2:43 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:25 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark wool
I am so jealous. I am in Brisbane and mate,,,,,,,, I dont know where to start.
The thoughts, the farms, the sainsburys. you can never describe it, the jobs, the,the,the.
"I will be English Till I Die"
Never said it before but after this experience that is what i am.
Hmmm..."I live there", referred to AARRRGGGHHHH....as in my profile. I do actually live here (OZ) and I love it. Am in Country Victoria. I'd not be anywhere else.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you not like about living in OZ

Reading some of these responses my two thoughts are:

1. Why the hell did you people move to Australia and not realise it was going to be hot in summer and a long way from Europe? A brief glance at an atlas might just have given a clue.

2. Did you do any research at all or did you just turn up at Heathrow and say "one ticket to Home-and-Away land please?"

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.