Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Old May 22nd 2009, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Originally Posted by Deancm
Yeah, but St Kilda has a beach. There's always someting to do, you just need to know where to go. The St. Kilda, Middle Park, Albert Park, Prahran, Sth Melb, Port Melb areas are very cliquey. Also, Elwood is up and coming now and a bit cheaper than St Kilda with good night life.

City centre living is a bit crap. Nightlife in the centre of town isn't really that good. Docklands is a bit soulless. Always found the surrounding suburbs of say Carlton a bit too woggy, esp around Lygon St.
It's great that we have these wide choices, I'm sure Sydney doesn't have as much variation as Melbourne.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:19 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

No choice here whatsoever.
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's great that we have these wide choices, I'm sure Sydney doesn't have as much variation as Melbourne.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney does'nt even come close.
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:45 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

No, he said "if you can't take the fierce summers then Melbourne and Tassie are for you".

oh, he did to!

but still its a nice comfortable temperature most of the time...
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by S E A N
oh, he did to!

but still its a nice comfortable temperature most of the time...
I think Melbourne has the best climate in Australia. It has a nice dry heat. Further north it gets too humid.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
No choice here whatsoever.
There has to be obviously, but what are the Notable Sydney suburbs ?

They all seem to be CBD or beachside ones, that are known down here, and spread quite away from each other. Is Redfern a place for a night out now, has it improved over the years ?
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:21 am
Account Closed

There has to be obviously, but what are the Notable Sydney suburbs ?

They all seem to be CBD or beachside ones, that are known down here, and spread quite away from each other. Is Redfern a place for a night out now, has it improved over the years ?
Nightlife in Sydney is rubbish. When I lived there it was either Kings Cross on the weekend, Darling Harbour, George St. or Oxford St. Other than that there was bugger all to do. Nowhere near as much choice as Melbourne.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nightlife in Sydney is rubbish. When I lived there it was either Kings Cross on the weekend, Darling Harbour, George St. or Oxford St. Other than that there was bugger all to do. Nowhere near as much choice as Melbourne.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:37 am

Yep there is nowhere else other than the 15 suburbs that come mind.
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm bound to come up there later this year when MVictory play Sydney.

So can you give me a couple of tips for close to the CBD burbs where I can try a bit of cafe culture night life then. I'd be interested in seeing something different.
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:01 am
Account Closed

And which suburbs are they?
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Can't say I agree with most people's opinion on the weather - yes in summer you get the odd really hot day, but that usually only lasts a day or two, then it drops by about 15 degrees - in the last two years I have only had the aircon on four times in my house!!!

Yet I find the winters freezing - the heating is on pretty much non-stop for about four months.

I even left a Storm match at half-time last season because it was that cold my feet had gone numb!!! In the winter I can wear four layers, a scarf and gloves and still be BLOODY FREEZING

The weather is the one and only thing that is probably going to send me to Queensland in the next couple of years.

Other than that, it's a fabulous city. The live music scene is superb - Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Northcote and St Kilda all have great venues.

St K is a great fun place, but it can get a bit annoying after a while, and gets very busy in the summer. I'd look to the inner northern suburbs, like the ones I mentioned above. It's more of a buzzing music/bar scene for locals, as opposed to the backpacker/dance-crap scene of St K.

Depends what you like though
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Can't say I agree with most people's opinion on the weather - yes in summer you get the odd really hot day, but that usually only lasts a day or two, then it drops by about 15 degrees - in the last two years I have only had the aircon on four times in my house!!!

Yet I find the winters freezing - the heating is on pretty much non-stop for about four months.

I even left a Storm match at half-time last season because it was that cold my feet had gone numb!!! In the winter I can wear four layers, a scarf and gloves and still be BLOODY FREEZING

The weather is the one and only thing that is probably going to send me to Queensland in the next couple of years.

Other than that, it's a fabulous city. The live music scene is superb - Fitzroy, Brunswick, Richmond, Northcote and St Kilda all have great venues.

St K is a great fun place, but it can get a bit annoying after a while, and gets very busy in the summer. I'd look to the inner northern suburbs, like the ones I mentioned above. It's more of a buzzing music/bar scene for locals, as opposed to the backpacker/dance-crap scene of St K.

Preston will be the next Suburb to turn buzzy, which is almost unbelievable. It's now got a strong Chinese Bias, with plenty of eating venues, the Cafes are coming. It's due to the multiple new apartment builds along High st and Plenty Roads I think.

The Arabs and Indians are now having a bit of a commerce battle in Coburg, with a little bit of luck Coburg could well become the first "Indiancentric" Suburb in Melbourne.... Still a few years before it develops though... interesting times though
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DianneH68
What did you do when we had that heatwave of +40 for 5 days at the start of the year?

It gets cold at night in winter but not as cold as the UK.

You do realise St Kilda also has a live music and bar scene. It's not all the dance scene... Actually there isn't really a lot of dance clubs in St Kilda. Mainly DJ bars/cafes.

Last edited by Deancm; May 22nd 2009 at 7:28 am.
Old May 22nd 2009, 7:29 am

There are too many Mexicans here already. I do not want to encourage more to come.
And which suburbs are they?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.