Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Old May 21st 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm surprised about the racial tension comment though.

Other than that a good post.
I was a little surprised as well ,but Kiwilass explained how to came to this conclusion in an earlier post and gives the impression that Canada is by and large devoid of this tension and other Canadians came out with other forms of crass bevaviour, that they had come across while touring Australia.
I guess giving it deeper reflection one should'nt be too surprised.
Old May 21st 2009, 8:58 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Cons...

-Drought; dying trees all over the place

-Train system; dingy, dirty, unreliable, people get bashed

-Some places are an absolute dump! you'd think your in the shanty towns in South Africa

-Night; the drunks and drugo's are out in force

Pros...

-Architexture; the European like lane-ways, modern and old buildings

-Cosmopolitan

-Great bars, restaurants etc

-The tram system

-Friendly people (you do get some of the riffraff)

On the whole I love this city! It's always in the top cities in the world list thingo, that has to say something!
Old May 21st 2009, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I was a little surprised as well ,but Kiwilass explained how to came to this conclusion in an earlier post and gives the impression that Canada is by and large devoid of this tension and other Canadians came out with other forms of crass bevaviour, that they had come across while touring Australia.
I guess giving it deeper reflection one should'nt be too surprised.
I'd like to see the link to that

LOL at Zambias comment re taxi drivers,
Old May 21st 2009, 9:04 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the whole city is like the film Elf

"Watch the Yellow ones they dont stop"

However a huge pro is food, restaurants here are fantastic...
Old May 21st 2009, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
I would go as far as to say London and Melbourne do not deserve to be in the same post unless London is preceeded by "Melbourne is much better than"
Melbourne is fine as it goes but would personally place it on a lower tier than London,which most would agree is a true world city and along with New York being the most diverse for what is on offer in the world.
I can accept Melbourne is an overall better city to bring up a family and is easier to get by in on a medium wage than is London,which in itself is very important but at the same time just perhaps it over does this >look how great we are< syndrome.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
Cons...

-Some places are an absolute dump! you'd think your in the shanty towns in South Africa
My S African friends would laugh their socks off at this comment. Nowhere in Melbourne comes vaguely close to the shanty towns in SA (unless you are thinking of outskirts of Alice)
Old May 21st 2009, 10:12 am
Recession Surfing 2006 -&amp;gt;

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
My S African friends would laugh their socks off at this comment. Nowhere in Melbourne comes vaguely close to the shanty towns in SA (unless you are thinking of outskirts of Alice)
I would agree ...
Old May 21st 2009, 11:44 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
It's tongue and cheek just emphasizing some places are very dingy
Old May 21st 2009, 2:29 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hook turns! - avoid them like the plague. If I need to turn right at a hook, I'll go straight on, then take a left, another left, and left again - then go straight across the lights to where I need to be...

What I like about Melbourne:
Pubs open late
Live music
Cosmopolitan

What I don't like:
chilly winter
summer can get too hot & dry
water shortages
suburbia
traffic gridlock mess

Public transport is average, but cheap. Trains are crap, trams are ok. Driving through the city is a pain in the rear. For this reason I'd stay as close to the city as possible. Lots of Irish around St.Kilda or Elwood, and also lots of pubs, things to do, etc. Carlton isn't bad either.

Born and bred Melbournites can sometimes (obviously not all) be a little bit superior on how fab Melbourne is - when in reality - it ain't nowt special. Reckon it's definitely a love or hate city although there's nothing especially concrete either way, so it must be just the vibe of the place....

If I were looking at what city to be in now, I'd be looking further north, like QLD, north NSW coast or Perth - although I do like my nightlife and live music, so would probably suffer there...
Old May 21st 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
Hook turns! - avoid them like the plague. If I need to turn right at a hook, I'll go straight on, then take a left, another left, and left again - then go straight across the lights to where I need to be...

What I like about Melbourne:
Pubs open late
Live music
Cosmopolitan

What I don't like:
chilly winter
summer can get too hot & dry
water shortages
suburbia
traffic gridlock mess

Public transport is average, but cheap. Trains are crap, trams are ok. Driving through the city is a pain in the rear. For this reason I'd stay as close to the city as possible. Lots of Irish around St.Kilda or Elwood, and also lots of pubs, things to do, etc. Carlton isn't bad either.

Born and bred Melbournites can sometimes (obviously not all) be a little bit superior on how fab Melbourne is - when in reality - it ain't nowt special. Reckon it's definitely a love or hate city although there's nothing especially concrete either way, so it must be just the vibe of the place....

If I were looking at what city to be in now, I'd be looking further north, like QLD, north NSW coast or Perth - although I do like my nightlife and live music, so would probably suffer there...
Im a musician my self so ill be looking forward to this side of melbourne
Old May 21st 2009, 3:00 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulg1770
Im a musician my self so ill be looking forward to this side of melbourne
Get yourself down the Espy in St.K
Lots of bands play there. Some good, some terrible - but amongst the drunks and drug addled patrons, can be had much fun!
If you're a muso, definitely stay close to the city, either Carlton or nearer the bay in Albert Park, St.Kilda, Port Melbourne, Elwood, etc. Yes, Albert Park & Port Melbourne are expensive but it's worth it for the quality of living. If you're young, please don't consign yourself to a life of suburbia and commuting hell!
Old May 21st 2009, 9:03 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh , the Espy! I miss the Espy.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

I was just on the web site their for the ESPY, It looks like my kind of place alright Reminds me of the kings cross hotel in sydney
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zambia
Paul if you stay in St Kilda your asking to get stuck there at huge rents with no space of your own. At least have an exit time frame Australia is not St Kilda in Melbourne or Bondi in Sydney. Plus if I saw a single irish lad with a St Kilda address I would think back packer or someone who is allergic to monday mornings.
Rubbish. I lived in St Kilda for years. It's the best place in Melbourne. For a single bloke you will have the best time. Loads of fit birds, cool bars and clubs.

The worst thing about Melbourne: Braindead wogs and their V8s. It is also very cliquey.
Old May 22nd 2009, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
if you can't take the fierce summers then Melbourne/Tassy are for you.
You've got to be joking right? In summer, Melbourne is one of the hotter states. 47C is the top on record so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.