Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Old May 20th 2009, 12:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Originally Posted by derab

water bills are about $200-300 per quarter (they stiff you on a parks charge in the quarter you dont use water (winter))
WT?? Ours is around $120 for 5 of us...
Old May 20th 2009, 12:30 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

OH. , forgot to mention this..

single irish guy.. Melbourne,,

Go for it mate.. You will love it ..
If you find it too big, flit over to tassie n sample hobart n launceston, but I reckon melbourne is great for where you are at.

Hevs.. $230 average over 5 years (always less than 155/person) northwest water..4 person household so 600Litres/day total..
so.. sorry paul.. quoting for something not in your expectations yet.. please ignore the water bill remarks..
Derab

Last edited by derab; May 20th 2009 at 12:36 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What I like....
Autumn...
AFL
the city
the country
the birds
the wildlife
Our lifestyle

etc etc etc

What I dislike

The driving
hoons
TV scheduling
its a long way from anywhere foreign
Old May 20th 2009, 12:55 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul

First off mate your on a pretty permanent VISA so lets not consider yourself a back packer.

Melbourne is really good of course things are not good some of which are the following.

CBD Hook turns (You will know once you get there)

Melbourne traffic - It does move so its nothing like the M50 at rush hour

Drivers, its true driving standards are not good

Victorian Licencing - you need a licence for everything along with a course

Rental charges and availiblity

The good things are far to numerous to count. But as a single bloke I would do the following. Buy a camper van live in that, have someone let you use their house as a postal address.

Then roam around Melbourne till you find a job and a place that suits you.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is almost perfect for me at least.

Only thing I really detest, and my feelings are getting stronger, the Dryness, it seems to be getting worse each year as well.

I was surprised at work the other day, when talking to a Kiwi Workmate, she also said that the main reason she will move back to NZ when she retires, A fellow UK worker overheard our convo, and he said he would be going to Launceston for the same reason. I've not heard 3 of us in a row complain about the same thing before.

Problem is I dont think I could leave here, I'd miss it too much.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Generally when people in Melbourne drive cars they act as if they have had a lobotomy.

The sad thing is that they are probably the best in Australia.

Not much to hate in Melbourne at all really apart from the AFL.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The roads are a bit daggy at the moment because they seem to be rebuilding them all. (Yes I got lost trying to get off the M1 (where?) in the city the other day.) I'm sure there used to be an exit that said Kingsway.

The trains are run by Connex so they are doomed to failure. Also they are a bit of a victim of their own success since they made them cheaper a couple of years ago.

Love the city. Easy to get around. Lots of great vistas. Feels open even though it's got big buildings. They seem to put enough squares and spaces in to open it up. Hook turns are a doodle. They only problem is that you have to remember to be in the left lane if you want to turn right. Love the trams. They're a moving signature of the city. Pubs are great (although beer is expensive). Great parks. Superb beaches. Great bike lanes/paths. Great shopping. Great coffee.

Don't have a problem with the driving. Some pluses, some minuses compared to UK but all good once you learn the local customs.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Well thats reassuring, only Hook turns to worry about! Sorry guys but ill be loving the dryness at first anyway!
I know all about the licences for everything already. As an electrician Ive had to jump through more hoops to be able to work in Victoria and im still not finished.

Im suprised nobody mentioned the cost of driving over there. I was looking on that drive website for a car. I still cant believe the amount of bangers from the early 90's with over 200000klms going for around $4000. This is something I hadn't really budgeted for. I was hoping $4k would have covered the cost of a decent car, insurance, mot and tax, guess I was very wrong.

Zambia thanks for the advice, I know im not backpacking but I will be in a hostel for a while until I find a suitable place. Im led to believe st kilda is the place to be renting a room for irish lads.

Thanks everyone for your advice so far, very helpful

Last edited by paulg1770; May 20th 2009 at 2:36 pm.
Old May 20th 2009, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a pastime here to whinge about Aussie car prices but I actually prefer it over here compared to the UK where you pretty much lose big time on any car that's worth anything.

Spend £20K and you'll be lucky to get 1/3-1/2 that in 3-4 years, over in Aus you lose a lot less.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

articnorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
Seems to be a pastime here to whinge about Aussie car prices but I actually prefer it over here compared to the UK where you pretty much lose big time on any car that's worth anything.

Spend £20K and you'll be lucky to get 1/3-1/2 that in 3-4 years, over in Aus you lose a lot less.
traffic in melbourne, red light cameras, Dodgy drunk people in the CBD.

the trams are good if you are in the City. I have lived in Melbourne and currently in Perth.

a 3 bedroom single storey house - Melbourne is over priced, Perth has bigger land and worth the investment you pay for it.

after all, Melbourne is in Victoria and Victoria is the Smallest State in Australia, excluding ACT.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Originally Posted by articnorth
Victoria is the Smallest State in Australia, excluding ACT.
The ACT is not a state.

The smallest state in Australia is Tasmania.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

What is an umbrella is that a new invention I have not heard about.

Most of the time forget what rain is like and so do the drivers
Old May 20th 2009, 9:58 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I like the cost of cars because if you spend just enough you get a decent car but I brought one for 6000 and its gonna cost me a bit to get it to a decent state. Should have spent 12-13 and just gotten a decent one |I dont have to worry about.

Plus its bad enough Hoon wise without giving em a load of cheap motors.

Paul if you stay in St Kilda your asking to get stuck there at huge rents with no space of your own. At least have an exit time frame Australia is not St Kilda in Melbourne or Bondi in Sydney. Plus if I saw a single irish lad with a St Kilda address I would think back packer or someone who is allergic to monday mornings.

For people planning to stay here you need to consider a vehicle Aus is noplace for the carless especially if you want to be a Tradie. If you try a and up a Gas converted car it will not cost a huge amount to run.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Good shout on the address situation, where would you consider then thats still beside the hustle and bustle? I have plans of someday living around morrington or frankston but not until im older, I would imagine it could be quite lonely their on my own at this stage.

Whats a hoon?

Yea I know ill be needing a car. I worked out today that 'all in' the first 3 months with a car for $5k Its gonna set me back around $15000 of my savings,That covers insurance,rego, petrol, food, flights, accomadation, bonds, electrical licencing fees,exams etc. and beer/nights out and taxies! I trew another $500 in for hidden costs.

As I dont have a job lined up yet I think it might be dodegy to invest in a car incase I still havent found work within that 3 month period. I reckon about $7000 of that $15000 i mentioned would be spent on buying and running the car, so ill hold off until I find job and then get one.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

paulg1770;

Do you pay for water in the UK,??? of course you do so why expect it free here.??Boom gates are at railway crossings they are to stop cabbages trying to get across when a train is approaching does Not always work though.??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.