Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
That's the one.

Used to grab a few beers in the George as well.

Funny you should say that all the chavs are being pushed into Hackney. When I arrived in London in the late 80s Hackney was being promoted as an up and coming area (along the lines that you're describing Shoreditch).
Well probably not the chavs. The chavs seem to be more in the home counties and regional areas (especially Romford) rather than inner city London. Hackney is a really up and coming area and property prices were going through the roof. It's quite diverse and very ethinic though with a large muslim and black community, and loads of gang violence.

It's strange how it works, areas become fashionable, prices go up and current residents can no longer afford to live there and move elsewhere. I think it's still going to take a few more years. If you ever wanted to buy property in London though, now is the time as once all the infrastructure is put in for the Olympics and the market recovers, property in East London is going to skyrocket.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:17 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm
Well probably not the chavs. The chavs seem to be more in the home counties and regional areas (especially Romford) rather than inner city London. Hackney is a really up and coming area and property prices were going through the roof. It's quite diverse and very ethinic though with a large muslim and black community, and loads of gang violence.

It's strange how it works, areas become fashionable, prices go up and current residents can no longer afford to live there and move elsewhere. I think it's still going to take a few more years. If you ever wanted to buy property in London though, now is the time as once all the infrastructure is put in for the Olympics and the market recovers, property in East London is going to skyrocket.
Hackney was an "up and coming" area when I arrived in 1987 and it hadn't moved far by the time I left in 2004. A lot of times I've found that the "up and coming" tag or the trendy tag is just a marketing veneer.

I reckon Stratford will do well out of the Olympics and the Chunnel connection although it had already started raising it's profile before I left because it has good transport links (even before the chunnel link).
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulg1770
i thought i'd update this, Im in st kilda nearly 2 weeks now. I really like it, I have hardly met any aussies its all irish/english but then again I am in a hostel. The beach looks great, I cant wait for the weather to pick up a bit so i can swim there. I love the cbd i could wonder around there for hours. It has a nice mix of modern and victorian buildings. I found the few melbournians I have met to be really friendly and cant do enough to help.
Ive been to the MCG, the markets, the eureka tower, seen the penguines and the ESPY so far. Im going to the eithad tonight. Apart from that Ive been emptying my wallet on the piss around chapel st.
Rent in st kilda is way overpriced unless you can find folks to start a fresh house share so ill be in the hostel for a while it looks. Workwise I havent really been looking but ive got a few days labouring lined up next week. To be honest I didnt realise melbourne was so expensive. $2.50 for a bar of chocolate, $3 for a small bottle of water and $3.70 for a tram ticket for 2 hours. Thats the only real downfall Ive found so far. Crossing roads is a bit of a nightmare aswell, Red lights dont seem to mean stop!
Buy a home brew kit from Kmart and set it up in the corner of your dorm. Not only will you get cheap beer, but you'll be everybody's friend and they'll all want to share a house with you!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

My Aus born daughter has just moved from South Woodford to the Angel, and loves the place so far and reckons its the best place shes ever lived. Previously she lived in shared accom in Bethnal Green, before the South Woodford move, and was very keen to move back in.

It must be in the genes I cannot understand how anyone wouldnt like living in a buzzy part of London. Whereas as a quite beach area here would drive me nuts after 6 months. I doubt If I would ever get bored in Inner London... I would probably get to dislike busy weekend shopping days etc, although they can be avoided.

I'm dead chuffed my daughter has established a independant Inner London foothold for our family to visit again.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
My Aus born daughter has just moved from South Woodford to the Angel, and loves the place so far and reckons its the best place shes ever lived. Previously she lived in shared accom in Bethnal Green, before the South Woodford move, and was very keen to move back in.

It must be in the genes I cannot understand how anyone wouldnt like living in a buzzy part of London. Whereas as a quite beach area here would drive me nuts after 6 months. I doubt If I would ever get bored in Inner London... I would probably get to dislike busy weekend shopping days etc, although they can be avoided.

I'm dead chuffed my daughter has established a independant Inner London foothold for our family to visit again.
Couldn't agree more.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I like the Angel. As long as I'm not in a car

The Angel reminds me of one of my stag days when we played Monopoly for real
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I like the Angel. As long as I'm not in a car

The Angel reminds me of one of my stag days when we played Monopoly for real
Did you do the monopoly pub crawl?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm
Did you do the monopoly pub crawl?
Yep.

Buck Palace was Start.

We drank all the places in a colour group when we landed on a property (to reduce travel and increase drinking time). We had our own chance cards (e.g. drink Tequila at the next bar) to cover the Chance, Community Chest and other funny squares.

Fairly much did all the properties apart from the brown ones and a couple of the train stations. There was a great whoop of joy when the counter landed on the square between Old Kent Rd and Whitechapel.

It was a great day out. Started at 11am (not the best time as they were changing guard at Buck Palace) and finished something like 4am the next day when we bought the whole of Dunkin Donuts near Piccadilly Circus. I think we stopped playing the game about 9pm and just wandered aimlessly from pub to club after that.