Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Old May 20th 2009, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice
Default what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Im heading there next week but I can go anywhere in australia as I have no ties. I need a place to settle down. Ive been to Perth, sydney and backpacked the east and west coasts but never actually lived anywhere solid apart from sydney which was ok but its not where I would like to live again.
Im an electrician, 25 and looking for somewhere with a good irish and english community.
cheers.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

I love the weather in Spring Autumn and Winter not so keen on summer.

I love the cosmopolitan feel of the city

I love the markets

I love the Botanical Gardens

I love the pubs

I love the beaches

I love the fact that its easy to travel out into country Victoria which I love.

Many many other things I like about it and now its my home being the main one.

I hate nothing about Melbourne.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:26 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulg1770
looking for somewhere with a good irish and english community.
cheers.
London or Dublin
Old May 20th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
London or Dublin
as im moving to a new country on my own Ill just find it easier to settle with my own,

How bad is the winter at this time of year? Its been 6 months of dull rainy days here in ireland, its only starting to pick up now. Im not sure if i can handel more of the same!

Last edited by paulg1770; May 20th 2009 at 8:54 am.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

Im an electrician, 25 and looking for somewhere with a good irish and english community.
Portadown, perhaps?
Old May 20th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Lots of pubs, live music & festivals in Melbourne.

Main Irish pubs are Celtic Club, PJ O'Briens, Bridie O'Reillys, Drunken Poet, The Quiet Man. English ones are Elephant & Wheelbarrow, Young & Jacksons.

I will be easy to find Irish and English around Melbourne (especially around St Kilda or the city centre).
Old May 20th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Hate the driving, Melbourne drivers cant drive for shite. Expect long delays.

Barney
Old May 20th 2009, 11:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: what do you love or hate about melbourne?

No comments on the infamous "hook turn" yet? That's one thing which always gets me when I'm in Melbourne.
Old May 20th 2009, 11:23 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No comments on the infamous "hook turn" yet? That's one thing which always gets me when I'm in Melbourne.
Can mean something different the lower part of King Street

Instead of hooking a turn its turn for a hook a
Old May 20th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petals
I love the weather in Spring Autumn and Winter not so keen on summer.

I love the cosmopolitan feel of the city

I love the markets

I love the Botanical Gardens

I love the pubs

I love the beaches

I love the fact that its easy to travel out into country Victoria which I love.

Many many other things I like about it and now its my home being the main one.

I hate nothing about Melbourne.
How bad is the winter, this time of year?
Old May 20th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

How bad is the winter, this time of year?
Winter is mild. Summer is more of a challenge with a few nights when it is impossible to sleep with the extreme heat.

Some dislikes:-
Aggressive flies that try to get into your mouth, nose, ears.

Mediocre Train system.

Boom gates.

Water shortages for the 5 years I've been here.

Lack of supermarket choices. Come on M&S, you even have a store in Jakarta.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Winter is mild. Summer is more of a challenge with a few nights when it is impossible to sleep with the extreme heat.

Some dislikes:-
Aggressive flies that try to get into your mouth, nose, ears.

Mediocre Train system.

Boom gates.

Water shortages for the 5 years I've been here.

Lack of supermarket choices. Come on M&S, you even have a store in Jakarta.
Are there water charges then? What are boom gates?
I take it that I'll still be wearing a heavy jacket and taking an umberella everywhere? Im trying to plan what clothes to bring over, theres only so much a backpack can take
Old May 20th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Are there water charges then? What are boom gates?
I take it that I'll still be wearing a heavy jacket and taking an umberella everywhere? Im trying to plan what clothes to bring over, theres only so much a backpack can take
Winter is like UK autumn I suppose. It doesn't freeze and snow only in the mountains.

Water is cheap, just there isn't any and ongoing restrictions on use. We pay about $200 / year for a household.

Boom gates = level crossings, quite a few in Melbourne in built up locations.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I take it that I'll still be wearing a heavy jacket and taking an umberella everywhere?
Common myth and myth conception!
Victoria is very dry, but winter can be cool.

http://www.weather.com.au/vic/melbourne
Old May 20th 2009, 12:26 pm
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

believe me.. wet weather gear is not on the list when it comes to melbourne.

melbourne winter = irish summer
melbourne summer = sudan winter

in the winter it gets wet.. mmmmmm about as wet as dublin in august
in the summer it gets dry

thats the last 8 years sorted anyway, please bring the rain gods with you when you come.. personally I am heading off to NZ where they have green stuff (from memory its called grass)

I have been in T shirts solid for the last 10 years or so (i resorted to a jumper for about a week each year) and my wet weather gear has dust on it in the boot of the car

water bills are about $200-300 per quarter (they stiff you on a parks charge in the quarter you dont use water (winter))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.