Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What do you love about living in Australia?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

It's different here

Don't panic too much, more people seem to settle here than those who don't, and if you have the attitude that you wish to accept change, and understand that things will be different, then you have an even greater chance of being in the happy in Australia group.

The weather in Winter is great, at least up here

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mazza12
However I found the recent thread 'photos of life in Au' very uplifting and it made me look forward once again to getting out there.
Australia does take a very good picture but outside of the major cities it can be mind numbingly dull.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:31 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

Originally Posted by roobush
It's an ideal distance from Birmingham.

Originally Posted by salopian
Why do you only want positive replies?
Because a negative reply to "What do you love about living in Australia?" wouldn't make a great deal of sense, would it?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Because a negative reply to "What do you love about living in Australia?" wouldn't make a great deal of sense, would it?
You could reply that "I love, that living in Australia, has made me appreciate the UK more"
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

I love living in Australia because it's made me realise where I want to live out the rest of my years (Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's taught me the true meanung of family and friends (all in Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's taught me that a big house and sunshine
have no true bearing on quality of life.

I love living in Australia because it's made clear to me what makes my heart sing (all in Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's taught me that the grass isn't always greener.

I love living in Australia because it's taught me to be true to myself.

Will that do you?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:00 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What do you love about living in Australia?

I love living in Australia because it's made me realise where I want to live out the rest of my years (Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's taught me the true meanung of family and friends (all in Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's made clear to me what makes my heart sing (all in Britain.)

I love living in Australia because it's taught me that the grass isn't always greener.

Will that do you?
It's good to see though that you've pointed out that none of these issues are the "fault" of Australia.

It's a different country.
Things are different here.
This includes people, and existing relationships.
Why emigrate if you want everything to be the same?

BB
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

salopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud ofsalopian has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's good to see though that you've pointed out that none of these issues are the "fault" of Australia.

It's a different country.
Things are different here.
This includes people, and existing relationships.
Why emigrate if you want everything to be the same?

BB
Wouldn't dream of it. There's nothing 'wrong' with Australia at all. In fact I've had many enjoyable times here. I got married in Oz, my daughter was born here, in fact, after 19 years I can't say I've hated any of it.

It's just time for me to go home.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Will that do you?
Oh dear...Bad Times?....

Good to hear that its not all rosey, keeps my feet on the ground.

The grass may not be greener but its a damn sight drier!

A thought provoking post none the less....
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Hi, here's my take on it from Sydney's North Shore:

Well, there are the obvious things - the weather being foremost among them . My MIL came and visited one winter and spent the whole time remarking on the quality of light during the day - gorgeous and bright most of the time.

I find Aussies to be more positive people (I know, huge generalisation but there, I said it) and if you come with the right attitude then you'll be made very welcome. I have better friends here than I had in the UK.
My kids' quality of life is massively improved - their education is better, they're outside almost all the time, lots of fun on the beach too.
My husband has much less of a commute (cycles across the Harbour Bridge every day!)
There was no recession here so at the moment the economy is good - something that I understand can't be said about the UK right now.
Wonderful wildlife - marsupials, beautiful birds, reptiles and flora. Okay, there's pretty bad wildlife too but let's not focus on that right now

We've been here 5 years now and we love it, love it, love it. In fact, my husband has just accepted a job in the US (Seattle) and I'm devastated, we'll be there for 3 years but we'll be coming back to Sydney, not the UK and that should tell you everything!!

Good luck,
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 5:32 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

The grass may not be greener but its a damn sight drier!

That's probably because it's artifical and doesn't need watering!!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I love the fact my kids can play outside pretty much every day of the year.

I love the wildlife. The sound of the kookuburras laughing. Spotting kangaroos, if we are out driving at dusk.

I do feel the place has a positive vibe to it. Except when I am in a grumpy mood LOL
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:42 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
....... but its a damn sight drier!
Er..........hmmm.......technically yes........practically.......and when you are out in a storm with just your flip flops and a summer dress on and it tips 280mm's on you in one go.......not so much!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Er..........hmmm.......technically yes........practically.......and when you are out in a storm with just your flip flops and a summer dress on and it tips 280mm's on you in one go.......not so much!
But how often does that happen

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:56 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But how often does that happen
Well okay yes not so often......but its like getting twenty five days of rain in ten minutes - its skews the statistics......and when you're not prepared for it........well........all i can say is I'm one Haviana short and had to go in the pub thongless.

Ten minutes later.......sun shining.......only evidence left of downpour was me looking like drownt rat wearing one shoe.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our move has been a success but then we had no real expectations of how our life would be.

We have a huge amount of shit in our lives at the moment but it's nothing to do with Australia and I firmly believe we are better off dealing with this shit here than if we were in the UK. However I love the UK just as much as I love Australia.

Not sure anything is better, apart from the weather (from our point of view) but we're happy and can't ask for more than that.

We are also 12,000 miles away from the Mother so that's a bonus in anyone's language. She rang this evening to wish luck to First Born. However she hadn't put her hearing aid in and couldn't hear what was said so hung up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.