Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

Old May 27th 2010, 6:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns ?

In 2006-07, 80% of Australia Tax payers received a refund of tax at the end of the year.

The average refund was $1,998.
The number of tax refunds given was 9.9 million, out of the 11.8 million taxpayers.

Old May 28th 2010, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Indeed

I have just had a bill for $3500
Paying Tax is not a bad thing as you only pay tax on what you have earnt (minus deductions) so with that in mind, a huge tax bill means you have earnt a shite load of money.

The problem only comes to be an issue if you have not put aside any money to pay this bill.

When I was self employed, I put aside 25% of my earnings to offset my tax liability at the end of the year. This money I put in my mortgage account and I kept a very good account of what money was what. When my tax bill came in at the end of the year, I just moved the money from my account to the tax mans account. I also did the same with the 10% GST money. I must have been the only one to pay my BAS on the 1st day.

Barney

Last edited by POW148; May 28th 2010 at 2:34 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 11:06 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In 2006-07, 80% of Australia Tax payers received a refund of tax at the end of the year.

The average refund was $1,998.
The number of tax refunds given was 9.9 million, out of the 11.8 million taxpayers.
I have just received (TODAY!) the result of an audit carried out from my 2007-08 tax year. I apparently claimed something I shouldn't have and now have a bill for $2,332.21 to pay..... what the!!

I need to get advice I guess, but a bit of a shock to come home to.
Old May 28th 2010, 1:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
I have just received (TODAY!) the result of an audit carried out from my 2007-08 tax year. I apparently claimed something I shouldn't have and now have a bill for $2,332.21 to pay..... what the!!

I need to get advice I guess, but a bit of a shock to come home to.
What did you claim for

Old May 29th 2010, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lotr
What could happen if I "forget" to lodge my tax returns
I "forgot" to lodge them for seven years - I lodged them all last year.

No problems.

Got a nice refund.

I did the returns myself - as an accountant was too expensive.
Old May 29th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lotr
Hello,

Under Australian law most people are required to lodge tax returns with the Australian Tax Office between 30 June and 31 October each year.

Some people have told that you lodge tax returns with the intention that the government gives you money. So if I don't lodge my tax returns I won't receive that money, but I guess it won't be too much, in my case I have been living in Sydney for less than a year, I guess it is really unlikely that the government returns me $ 1.000 in tax returns.

But, it looks to be a complicated formality, all the persons I know hire an accountant for doing that formality, so I would like to ask what could happen if I don't do that ? Could I be fined ? ( or ... could I go to jail for "forgetting" to do that formality ? )

In my country when the financial year ends, most people take care of filling their tax declaration because that is the moment for "paying" tax, so you "pay" money to the government, and of course if you don't pay you are going to be blacklisted and no bank will give you a loan or credit card .

But, one is not going to be blacklisted if one doesn't "receive" money from the government, so there shouldn't be any problem if one doesn't fill the tax returns ? do you agree ?

thank you for any opinion,
Why dont you just fill one in with the details on your tax summary sheet. Very easy to do and you may even get a rebate!

Mine was lodged late and was told that it was unlikely you would be fined unless you owed them lots of money.
Old May 29th 2010, 9:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
I "forgot" to lodge them for seven years - I lodged them all last year.

No problems.

Got a nice refund.

I did the returns myself - as an accountant was too expensive.
Me too, a few years back before all this e-tax thingy. I knew from past experience what to expect, about $100.00 rebate if I am lucky, so I thought I would be kind to the ATO and let them keep the money for a few years. I did go to an accountant though - he did all the paperwork and I think I got about $1000.00 back. The only problem as I see it, is if you owe THEM money.......
Old Jun 6th 2010, 2:27 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

You actually have 7 years to lodge your tax return, but you MUST do it! (OH did the HR Block tax course last year)

I lodged mine in December last year (from what's been posted it would be considered late) I got my refund the same as everyone else and nobody commented or said that I should have done it earlier.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:13 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Why dont you just fill one in with the details on your tax summary sheet. Very easy to do and you may even get a rebate!
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't it the case that this is very easy to do...so long as your only source of income through the year was from one employer and your employer actually got their finger out to send you the form?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't it the case that this is very easy to do...so long as your only source of income through the year was from one employer and your employer actually got their finger out to send you the form?
It is very easy like this, and it is better to do a return, even without claiming any rebates, than not do one at all.

Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Any idea how much a good accountant would cost for complicated tax returns?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:58 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is very easy like this, and it is better to do a return, even without claiming any rebates, than not do one at all.
Yeah, exactly - it's only easy to do if you're already in a position to do it! Plenty of people aren't.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yeah, exactly - it's only easy to do if you're already in a position to do it! Plenty of people aren't.
In what way ?

Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Paying Tax is not a bad thing as you only pay tax on what you have earnt (minus deductions) so with that in mind, a huge tax bill means you have earnt a shite load of money.

The problem only comes to be an issue if you have not put aside any money to pay this bill.

When I was self employed, I put aside 25% of my earnings to offset my tax liability at the end of the year. This money I put in my mortgage account and I kept a very good account of what money was what. When my tax bill came in at the end of the year, I just moved the money from my account to the tax mans account. I also did the same with the 10% GST money. I must have been the only one to pay my BAS on the 1st day.

Barney
I thought for self employed tradies, a tax return would be very complicated - knowing what you can claim for work related expenses, deductions, gst etc etc. So would an accountant charge you much more to do the return for you?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
The only problem as I see it, is if you owe THEM money.......
Cool, am unemployed and have no income this year So no tax return for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.