Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the cheese like in Oz?

What is the cheese like in Oz?

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the cheese like in Oz?

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That means they would also agree in part.

I used to buy cheese from La Fromagerie in London. La Fromagerie is regarded as one of the best cheese chops in the UK and it is where the likes of Gordon Ramsay and other 3 star chefs source their cheese. I can quite unequivocally say that the cheese in Australia is relatively bland in comparison. That is not to say that some of the better Aussie cheeses aren't of a quality standard.
Alright Sah - I defer to you on this one.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

Two posts, mentioning cheese, to review and comment on...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=13

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=48

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:54 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yes, continue to assume that all cheese away from Europe is crap because it is.

Even the good ones that try to emulate the European cheeses aren't in the same league.

Butter is crap in Oz as well, although you can get Lurpak now but pay twice the price for it.
Steer clear of Western Star...Fergie once sponsored some lard. It was called, I Can't Believe It's Not Fatter."
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
Not sure about elsewhere, but Heidi gruyère and raclette are available in most markets in Melbourne (Queen Vic, South Melbourne, Prahran, etc.) as well as good delis.

Pyengana (also available in most markets) is really good.

Good cheese is around, just expensive, the same as everywhere else. Good cheese in France is very expensive and not everyone can afford to buy Roquefort or a super duper Tomme de Savoie every day.

I'll admit that supermarket cheese in Oz is shocking, same as I remember in the UK. France has slightly better cheese in supermarkets, but most is still pretty bland.
I guess we are the exception when we are in France! The difference in France is not only do you have the specialized cheese shops/local markets but you also have a HUGE range in the supermarkets which I don't find bland at all, especially compared to the range in Oz. For example, Fromage de Clarines is styled as a gourmet cheese in Oz but can be bought in almost any supermarket in France for no more than 4€. In Oz expect to pay about $25. I eat it melted with white wine and served with proper (but stale) baguettes - cube the bread and dip into the fondu - yum. Mind you the baguettes are 0.80 against the $4.50 in Oz (for proper-ish bread - not supermarket). We also got a St Félicien in it's own crockery which the kids demolished. Again this was just a cheap supermarket buy. My mil has a proper cheese plate, offered nightly, sourced only from the local markets (sigh).
If you are in Vic, I recommend the lovely ladies at the French cheese shop. They will give you 'aged' cheese if you ask. They actually sell Comté Fruité too. Don't forget the Italian cheeses either available at local deli's.
Richmond Hill Cafe n Larder do mail order throughout Oz - I checked QLD and it was $11.50 delivery and $25 for the Fromage de Clarine. A bit pricey but...at least it is available. They also do L'Edel de Cléron which is high on my list to try....
QLD have Black Pearl Epicure and deliver.
Not sure if I can post links so try looking up the subject 'Cheese- beyond the usual suspects' on vogue forums. Although an old thread it mentions quite a few Aussie brands that should still be around in the supermarket.
Tas has quite a few stars but I still find overall the cheese is pricey in Oz. Even so I reckon all cheese lovers should support the local industry as it's crying out for more recognition.
Talking about Oz brands we came across the ubiquituous Jacobs Creek the other day for 2.50€
Anyway, back to the cheeses I think if you love cheese it's worth the investment once a week!
I am a cheese lover and actually ate a whole Crottin de chèvre last night. Very gourmand but as it was a local supermarket buy and less than 2€ for two I thought I could indulge just this once
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Generally think the cheese in Australia is not up to much. I did once buy a packet of no name grated for something quite unremarkable and happened to take a taste before I put it in the cooking - it had the taste of real cheddar like I remembered from my childhood and I really enjoyed it - made the best cheese on toast I have had for many a year.

Unfortunately subsequent packets of no name grated (nor blocks) nor named brands have ever come close and I have no idea what brand it was other than that it tasted like real cheddar.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Ruthyman

I agree with most of what you're saying.
I am French and I love cheese. I know the range offered in supermarkets in France and it's mind-boggling, but still compared to what you find in market stalls and cheesemongers there, it's not quite as tasty but cheaper.

I was also merely pointing out that comparing supermarket cheeses in Oz and the UK is a pointless exercise, as they are as limited as each other.

But go out of your way a bit, and you can get beautiful cheeses here as well as in the UK. You just have to look for them and spend the money.