Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What is the cheese like in Oz?

What is the cheese like in Oz?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:57 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the cheese like in Oz?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Cheesecakes are big here ...
..and they also sell cakes that actually taste of cheese as well.

Que Peter Kaye
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littda01
Get yourself to a decent deli and there's plenty of good cheese. I've been here 2 weeks and bought plenty good cheddar at delis in Prahran market. Greek cheeses also available, as you'd expect.

Does seem to be less variety on the whole than in the UK, but tbh you have to shop pretty carefully in the UK also as much of its crap.
That reminds me of a personal experience at Prahan Market. I was there with JTL, my then boyfriend, looking for some cheese to make toasted cheese. As I wasn't familiar with the Australian cheese varieties, I asked the cheese monger to recommend a good melting cheese. His response to me was "All cheeses melt!" Idiot!

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've actually never been to Prahan Market, which I guess I should be ashamed of. Probably should make the effort.
How long have you lived in Melbourne?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Seen it once or twice in Woolies actually. Imported from the UK. Not cheap for what it is.
Same with Leicester Red.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Yes, continue to assume that all cheese away from Europe is crap because it is.

Even the good ones that try to emulate the European cheeses aren't in the same league.

Butter is crap in Oz as well, although you can get Lurpak now but pay twice the price for it.
I bet some Hatted chefs in Melbourne would disagree in part!

I' happy with the cheese in Australian supermarkets - you don't have to buy Coon. I like Coon as it comes in a huge block and you can use a cheese slice working with the edge of the block...the kids can use it too..

There are enough speciality cheeses to keep my interest. Don't miss having to traipse the square metres of Cheddar and Red Leceister from the UK...but going to France was fun.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I bet some Hatted chefs in Melbourne would disagree in part!
That means they would also agree in part.

I used to buy cheese from La Fromagerie in London. La Fromagerie is regarded as one of the best cheese chops in the UK and it is where the likes of Gordon Ramsay and other 3 star chefs source their cheese. I can quite unequivocally say that the cheese in Australia is relatively bland in comparison. That is not to say that some of the better Aussie cheeses aren't of a quality standard.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

King Island brie, cambert, etc. are all worth a look.

Heidi Farm gruyere from Tassie is amazing, but i think it is only available in restauarants.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by killerhales

Heidi Farm gruyere from Tassie is amazing, but i think it is only available in restauarants.
I found King Island Brie tasteless and the Camembert's not that great either. It's a bit of a misnomer really because Brie is named after the region in France so technically, King Island Brie cannot be Brie.

I think with a lot of cheese making in Australia, it has to be made with pasteurised milk whereas in France,the UK and EU they use unpasteurised. This completely affects the flavour and quality of the cheese.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

The camembert here is soooo bland. And I've been searching for nearly 6 years...

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ahhh beautiful, a cheese thread to wake up too

Its a lot harder to find decent stuff here though, and you have to be prepared tio search for it, nowhere near as readily available as back home. Tassie cheese is worth searching for, and there are a few others like Kenilworth, but general, cheap, supermarket stuff is trash. How ever they get away with calling that rubbery stuff "tasty"without being done under trade descriptions, as Creature says, I will never know
I used to eat a lot of unpasteurised farm cheeses with superb flavours like horseradish, and you just can't get those here

I had some really strong vintage chedder last week, very small piece, very expensive. Someone at work tried it and reckoned I should get a refund as there was obviously something wrong with it, the flavour was too strong

The IGA in Waterloo (Sydney) sells some imported Sergeant Billit's Strong Cheddar cheese from the UK. It is really nice and strong, and leaves that nice tangy sensation on the roof of your mouth.

Sadly it's quite pricey, and that is the only place I have seen it, but it must be being imported from somewhere. I will have a look at the packaging and see if I can see a website etc...

S
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
How long have you lived in Melbourne?
30 years now That is a bad miss that one, been down Chapel St plenty of times, even to Prahran Townhall for events a couple of times. .
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:25 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jon77
Still can't believe Australia has a cheese called 'Coon' Cheese
l remember some Aboriginal group tried to get them to change the name of the cheese saying it was racist but they failed.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about elsewhere, but Heidi gruyère and raclette are available in most markets in Melbourne (Queen Vic, South Melbourne, Prahran, etc.) as well as good delis.

Pyengana (also available in most markets) is really good.

Good cheese is around, just expensive, the same as everywhere else. Good cheese in France is very expensive and not everyone can afford to buy Roquefort or a super duper Tomme de Savoie every day.

I'll admit that supermarket cheese in Oz is shocking, same as I remember in the UK. France has slightly better cheese in supermarkets, but most is still pretty bland.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go.... Looks like I wont have to cross the Yarra

Milawa Cheese shop, 665 Nicholson St, North Carlton, Walking distance to my Sons School

Still I will make a point of visiting Prahran Market during my next Holiday.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...113131167.html
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Here we go.... Looks like I wont have to cross the Yarra

Milawa Cheese shop, 665 Nicholson St, North Carlton, Walking distance to my Sons School

Still I will make a point of visiting Prahran Market during my next Holiday.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...113131167.html
That article's nearly 6 years old. Are you sure it's still there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.