Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by Beoz
Had a chat with a 70 year old neighbour on the weekend who has paid off his mortage on his property which is now worth 1.3 million. Unfortunately for him his Super was gobbled up by the financial crisis and he only has about 4 years of it left. So here's a guy who has lived in the same house for 40 years, paid it off 15 years ago, has 1.3 million at his disposal should he want to cash it in, and may need to do so just to put food on the table.

I too would like to buy, not that I can't afford it, I just don't think its the right thing to do right now.

On top of that, every time I go for a loan calculator I'm presented with this image.
I have never owned my own house and I'm starting to question if I ever will. We are raised to believe it's the best thing, which it is if you can buy at sensible salary multiples, but it's the worst thing if you borrow too much, and that has been happening for many years, leading up to all these problems.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree. Each to their own, but it's owning for me.

Renting is all well and good when you are younger, but when you come to retire and have nothing to show for it, you will be at the mercy of the state or private landlords.
when rent < mortgage, and you can invest the difference elsewhere then its not necessarily a bad thing.

we were going to rent somewhere else in Sydney recently.
Cost of renting a 2 bed house in Drummoyne/Five dock = 690-720 a week.
we compromised on house vs unit and bought a 3 bed flat in eastern suburbs. it was about the same monthly price. silly not to I think.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zombikiller
So fuel then is the general consensus?

What about things like TV packages (Like Sky) NO, Broadband/Internet NO, Gym Membership err . . . NO, Clothes definitely NO, Electronics NO, Gigs/Concerts Tickets NO, Cinema Tickets refer to previous answer, Mobile Phone Contracts NO, CD/DVD's/Blurays/Games etc etc erm . . . NO, trying to think of everything lol

Is there even any Aussie 'pound shop' equivilants?

LMAO!
See my comments above.

I would say that everything, excluding 'memory foam' matresses bizzarely enough, is more expensive in Aus.

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 21st 2011 at 4:55 am.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In Exile
when rent < mortgage, and you can invest the difference elsewhere then its not necessarily a bad thing.

we compromised on house vs unit and bought a 3 bed flat in eastern suburbs. it was about the same monthly price. silly not to I think.
But when you retire, do you want to be renting? If not, then you may as well buy a house when you are younger instead of buying when you retire.

I'm in my late '40s and I virtually own my home - and will do within 2 years.

Last edited by Amazulu; Nov 21st 2011 at 5:01 am.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

But when you retire, do you want to be renting? If not, then you may as well buy a house when you are younger instead of buying when you retire.

I'm in my late '40s and I virtually own my home - and will do with 2 years.
no, but there are other ways to make money too. you can then use that to buy property in retirement.

Also depends what areas you want to live when you are younger. you most than likely cant afford to buy in inner city locations, but can easily rent there (house share or whatnot).

its all about being smart with what is avaialable to you and just takes planning/discipline.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I've already done that in my 30's so it's no big deal just buying before a boom hits will cover it for you or waiting until one collapses and house prices do seem to be drifting down in Australia these days.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

no, but there are other ways to make money too. you can then use that to buy property in retirement.

Also depends what areas you want to live when you are younger. you most than likely cant afford to buy in inner city locations, but can easily rent there (house share or whatnot).

its all about being smart with what is avaialable to you and just takes planning/discipline.
There are many ways to do this, I prefer to own a home and have found it easy to afford.

Each to their own
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:04 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very Anglo Saxon (AKA Pommy) need to own their home
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intrigued - Where does one get a 3 bed flat in Eastern Suburbs with a mortgage repayment of 690-720 per week?
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by paulry
It is, but Anglo-Saxon is so much more than Pommy.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:11 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I know I owe ANZ a piss off huge amount for my mortgage, I know I will be paying it off for yonks.

But I also know that I dont get rent inspections, if I can afford it I can do renovations and put up pictures, drill holes in the wall.

I know the owner is not going to sell it and we have to move out, I know I can keep my dog and cat, I know that if I had the money we could get the survey strata title done with our neighbours - which we will in time, and we can subdivide.

And I know if I sell it, I get the profits, not the bank and at the end of the day, it is more my home than any rental will ever be.

To me that is important, I would rather pay the bank for something I can change/sell/live in than pay the mortgage for someone else to change/sell/live in.

Its my home.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Car insurance for some might be cheaper but not for us, especially when you take into account the CTP and rego so you are paying 2 lots of insurance.
Petrol definitely cheaper but not much else really.

Originally Posted by Zombikiller
After seeing so many threads about Oz being so expensive, its bound to be cheaper for some certain things compared to the same in the UK?

So far ive gathered fuel and car insurance is generally cheaper out there?

Im hopefully heading out next year and would be interested in seeing what people have to say on the matter.

Thanks!

Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The home ownership rate in Australia and the UK is practically identical.

Originally Posted by paulry
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:11 am
Banned

Wouldn't be the first time and it wont be the last

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you are on your own with finding most of the items in that list cheaper here.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by isgraham
I've already done that in my 30's so it's no big deal just buying before a boom hits will cover it for you or waiting until one collapses and house prices do seem to be drifting down in Australia these days.
I'm not trying to compete with you champ. I've owned houses outright before - no big deal.

House prices are what they are and I rarely get involved in their discussion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.