Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

All forms of insurance (WA at least, I know Eastern states it's more)
Petrol
Electronics
Public transport (free in Perth CBD)
Quality and really cheap (goon) wines - I know plonk like Jacobs Creek is cheaper in Britain, but for superior tasting stuff like the WA/SA boutiques you can't buy there and have to pay a lot more than $20 for a good bottle
Pay as you go mobile phone use
Old Nov 20th 2011, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zombikiller
After seeing so many threads about Oz being so expensive, its bound to be cheaper for some certain things compared to the same in the UK?

So far ive gathered fuel and car insurance is generally cheaper out there?

Im hopefully heading out next year and would be interested in seeing what people have to say on the matter.

Thanks!

Sunsceeen, train tickets, thai food, eating out at BYO, energy, windscreen wipers, milk, and if you shop around and negotiate there is a whole lot more.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Wages aren't necessarily higher. Plus so many jobs here are offered on a casual basis (so the employee has no rights). It depends on what you do and where you expect to live. We buy virtually nothing Australian - groceries, fuel and wine - that's it. Everything comes winging its way from the US or UK.
The fact that the casualisation of the Australian workplace should be considered to be of far more importance than wages being more or less than UK.
Casual workers do/should earn more but have few rights and are easily disposed off for whatever reason unscrupulous employers may deem fit.
As for should earn more it is not unknown for folk who complain they are not being paid casual rates, suddenly find their names are no longer rostered.
A hell of a lot of working folk with mortgages are doing it tough. Very little if anything works out cheaper than UK. As a rule factoring a high dollar it has been claimed to be 30% more expensive.
Social life like pubs and the like all very expensive.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience the proportion of casual positions here is considerably higher.
Higher and ever increasing. Wonder at what stage it will impact on the housing market? How they expect folk to take out loans not knowing in a year if they'll still be in employment?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Higher and ever increasing. Wonder at what stage it will impact on the housing market? How they expect folk to take out loans not knowing in a year if they'll still be in employment?
And not only are houses expensive but interest rates are much higher, so bigger monthly expenditure servicing the $500,000 debt at 7% where the repayments could easily be $3000 every month if not higher.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by calliope
And not only are houses expensive but interest rates are much higher, so bigger monthly expenditure servicing the $500,000 debt at 7% where the repayments could easily be $3000 every month if not higher.
Very much so. This rather nullifies the higher wages which in all fairness sound far more than they would be if the dollar was at a more historically normal rate.
Considering the high dollar the profiteering by importers I often find amazing.
Unless in employment in a few choice areas concerned with mining or gas and the like it is all pretty ordinary.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Get the picture now folks, its all good.

Diet of red meat it is then

Red meat and cheap wine (well free in my case ) works for me!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Pandora jewellery, fruit and veg if you go to your local weekly markets, fuel (of course), car parking - very few places actually charge from what I've seen, there are probably loads of other things, but I'm eating my brekkie so can't think right now...

Just to add to this, I have more 'spare cash' here than I ever had in the UK...might be something to do with the fact I get paid fortnightly, and significantly more than I ever did in the UK. Don't believe the hype though, unless you live right in the heart of the big cities and shop there too, living in Australia is more than doable and won't cost you the earth to do!
I'm with you Jen. I earn more here (based on a 2.5/1 basis) for the same job, and I mostly have more disposable cash too.

Dearer across the board then it seems. Always knew it was but not to this extent.

As long as the wages are higher there shouldnt be a problem i guess!
It does depend what you do. But it is possible to live here without it costing the earth.

In my experience the proportion of casual positions here is considerably higher.
I liked being casual, meant I got more money. I only went permanent because I got a better offer.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you are on your own with finding most of the items in that list cheaper here.

Houses and renting! OMG. My 3 bed house in UK is being rented out for £1400 a month, here I pay $1300 a week for a 3 bed house.
Wow! $1300 a week Mines that a month! (3 bed with a granny flat. A Woolies at one end of the street and a pub at the other!)

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
All forms of insurance (WA at least, I know Eastern states it's more)
Petrol
Electronics
Public transport (free in Perth CBD)
Quality and really cheap (goon) wines - I know plonk like Jacobs Creek is cheaper in Britain, but for superior tasting stuff like the WA/SA boutiques you can't buy there and have to pay a lot more than $20 for a good bottle
Pay as you go mobile phone use
I couldn't find any drinkable Aussie wine when I went back last year! Despite looking in 2 different Morissons and 4 Asda's.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Stopped comparing years ago but I know my husband prefers doing food shopping here, going to the markets for veggies and stuff.

He has never been into convenience foods/sauces and likes making his own, I dont cook so I dont know half of what the shopping bill is but I know he prefers it.

We get far more for our council tax, someone tagged our fence the other week, we reported it and the next morning the council sent someone out to remove it free of charge. Our rangers are excellent and all in all we are more than happy with that.

I used to pay about 45 pounds a week for my all zone Oyster Card, I find public transport cheaper here. Never had a car in the UK but $40 will fill up my Yaris with premium unleaded and last for a month roughly although I dont drive long distances, it is still economical to run even when I did.

Medicines get to me a bit, in the UK I liked the fact that you could buy a pre payment certificate for prescriptions so that was my asthma sorted but here you cant.

Veterinary medicine is cheaper here, I pay $40 for my dogs hip injection with no consult fee, in the vets in London it would have been 50 quid to even walk in the door with the jab on top of that.

I cant remember anything else as I say, I stopped converting long ago and dont even think about it now.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Just to add to this, I have more 'spare cash' here than I ever had in the UK...might be something to do with the fact I get paid fortnightly, and significantly more than I ever did in the UK. Don't believe the hype though, unless you live right in the heart of the big cities and shop there too, living in Australia is more than doable and won't cost you the earth to do!
Me too. I think people tend to forget the spare cash thing and focus on the comparison thing.

I get paid monthly and live in the heart of Sydney and my spare cash is so much greater than it was in London.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Me too. I think people tend to forget the spare cash thing and focus on the comparison thing.

I get paid monthly and live in the heart of Sydney and my spare cash is so much greater than it was in London.
People were focussing upon "the comparison thing" because OP was specifically asking about what items are cheaper in Australia. Hard to answer that question without comparison.

Personally, I think far too many people get too hung up on comparing the cost of lettuces. So long as salary is about 2.2 - 2.5 X GBP salary then standard of living will be comparable.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If we decide as orginaly planned to go back to the UK next year for a year or two i should be able to a good comparisson as i will be doing the same job in the same place for the same money. Will be interesting to see how it goes
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Eating out (pretty expensive here in UK)
Importing stuff- limit into UK is 20quid, Aus is 1000.

NI is cheaper in Aus!
Commuting
supermarket shopping- as they don't have clothes, CDs, DVDs etc to add to the basket.

Fuel bills- here we put out heating on 6 weeks ago and I guess it will be on for another 3-4 months. In Oz our heating was on June, July, August and that was all (Melbourne)
Going out with kids- mostly free, here we have to find more indoor thing to do.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
If we decide as orginaly planned to go back to the UK next year for a year or two i should be able to a good comparisson as i will be doing the same job in the same place for the same money. Will be interesting to see how it goes
we are doing the same and are in the run towards a return to Oz. It is very attractive thought when it is cold and miserable and you have spent a day with commuter's armpits in your face
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
we are doing the same and are in the run towards a return to Oz. It is very attractive thought when it is cold and miserable and you have spent a day with commuter's armpits in your face
Although, to be fair, that's even worse when it's hot
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Sunshine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.