Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by sheene
When you are young, with no job, you have no money. Then in your 20's and 30's you have a job, but all your spare cash goes on the kids. In your 40's and 50's, any spare money goes into your pension fund. Then you retire, and live off the money you saved, but you dare not spend much. Then you die and whats left goes to your kids.
Which is why I am spending all my cash, and not saving it! They've had enough already...
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
$1300 a week is more than the repayments on a $750,000 mortgage...
I'll guess that Bermudashorts house she rents is worth about $1.5 mill + if they were to buy it - so she is getting a bargain by renting and not buying.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 5:55 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wine! Comes in boxes labelled "cheap, white, fruity". What more could you want
"cheap, white, fruity".......sounds like a former g/f of mine!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

When you are young, with no job, you have no money. Then in your 20's and 30's you have a job, but all your spare cash goes on the kids. In your 40's and 50's, any spare money goes into your pension fund. Then you retire, and live off the money you saved, but you dare not spend much. Then you die and whats left goes to your kids.
That's cheered me up no end.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
I'll guess that Bermudashorts house she rents is worth about $1.5 mill + if they were to buy it - so she is getting a bargain by renting and not buying.
Something like that, 750k would get a 2 bed unit in Collaroy. We are enjoying living in a house we could not afford to buy.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Just the conversion rate. I think you can only go in absolutes because some people will earn more and some people will earn less and some will earn about the same - just go with the cash rate otherwise it gets too complicated for words.
It's not a bad rule of thumb but ultimately it's sort of meaningless. The higher the salary the higher the purchasing power. I think individuals need to do the absolutes on their own time if they want to avoid disappointment especially in cases when wages really are low - for them - in Australia.

I think it was Fish who probably summarized it best...
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Something like that, 750k would get a 2 bed unit in Collaroy. We are enjoying living in a house we could not afford to buy.
Agree. My rented house is worth a bit over 1 million. There's a morgtage of about $1700 per week. In the meantime I pay $750 per week in rent, living 5 minutes walk from Bondi and a 20 minute commute to my desk. Whilst the $750 is dead, like half the $1700 would be paying interest, the other $950 isn't, and there's a lot that can be done with that.

Still, as someone previously mentioned. It's nice to be able to paint the walls pink and 10 very large dogs and if Mrs Beoz had her way we'd be $950 a week lighter doing just that. As I keep reminding her, there's no way in the world we'd be saving that amount in the UK right at the point in time on current FX rates.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Just the conversion rate. I think you can only go in absolutes because some people will earn more and some people will earn less and some will earn about the same - just go with the cash rate otherwise it gets too complicated for words.
Well said. There is too much bollocks written on BE about this subject.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:24 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
Agree. My rented house is worth a bit over 1 million. There's a morgtage of about $1700 per week. In the meantime I pay $750 per week in rent, living 5 minutes walk from Bondi and a 20 minute commute to my desk. Whilst the $750 is dead, like half the $1700 would be paying interest, the other $950 isn't, and there's a lot that can be done with that.

Still, as someone previously mentioned. It's nice to be able to paint the walls pink and 10 very large dogs and if Mrs Beoz had her way we'd be $950 a week lighter doing just that. As I keep reminding her, there's no way in the world we'd be saving that amount in the UK right at the point in time on current FX rates.
Each to their own. I'm sure the owner of the property is happy you're helping them buy it as well.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Well said. There is too much bollocks written on BE about this subject.
I actually agree that the cash rate is useful -especially if people are buying overseas.

But I'm a big fan of the affordability approach you have also made.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

And that's assuming that your assets havent been sold by the state to pay for your nursing home care.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 1:31 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Each to their own. I'm sure the owner of the property is happy you're helping them buy it as well.
But it really doesnt add up. Well it only adds up if the landlord bought the place when properties were a lot cheaper or paid a large deposit otherwise the rent will barely cover his costs.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

My landload bought the property 2 years ago. If he didn't has a sizeable deposit then he's having to dip into his pocket to make up the massive shortfall. Believe me, if the gap between mortage and rent wasn't so great I'd buy but Australia loves a bit of negative gearing. It makes no sense to buy property as an investment where I live in Sydney. Gold Coast may be a different story.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Its a mutually agreeable arrangement. The landlord has something I need and am willing to pay for. What landlord does with the money doesnt worry me.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beoz
My landload bought the property 2 years ago. If he didn't has a sizeable deposit then he's having to dip into his pocket to make up the massive shortfall. Believe me, if the gap between mortage and rent wasn't so great I'd buy but Australia loves a bit of negative gearing. It makes no sense to buy property as an investment where I live in Sydney. Gold Coast may be a different story.
I'm sure here is one of only two or three countries that allow losses created by negative gearing to be deducted for tax purposes, which only encourages it. My feeling is that people that have indulged in negative gearing in Australia will be in a lot of trouble if or when the market turns. I think something like 75% of landlords are negatively geared. No wonder rates are being cut!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.