Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by chris955
That can also be the case here I'm afraid, if you shop at markets and especially farmers markets then freshness is more likely.
Very true, best to try and buy as close as possible to the 'farm gate'
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I checked out a couple of farmers markets when in the UK recently and they are definitely where we will be buying most of our green stuff but we also intend growing a lot as well and keeping some chickens, you can't get much fresher than your own backyard.

Originally Posted by jezandem
Very true, best to try and buy as close as possible to the 'farm gate'
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Yes, I checked out a couple of farmers markets when in the UK recently and they are definitely where we will be buying most of our green stuff but we also intend growing a lot as well and keeping some chickens, you can't get much fresher than your own backyard.
Farmers markets are expensive but the quality is good. Good luck with your 'grow your own' quest and don't forget to add plenty of organic manure
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I found them to be very good value and obviously great quality. Hopefully the chickens will supply more than enough organic manure, my wife also wants miniature pigs as well so we should be fine

Farmers markets are expensive but the quality is good. Good luck with your 'grow your own' quest and don't forget to add plenty of organic manure
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

wattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to allwattsbug is a name known to all

What about soccer games. yes people will comment thats its not english prem standard however i will literally watch any football/soccer. Cost of entrance into a game anyone? cost of season ticket?

Perth Glory of poss
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:28 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Hmm I thought the ergoflex were more expensive in Aus than UK - must go and check, was thinking of buying one here because I never really got to use the one I bought in Aus! And dont even go there with the Tempur - they were well out of range in Aus.

I think stationery might be more expensive here in UK - Staples isnt really competitive with Office Works imho. Havent done much stationery shopping but the el cheapo presentation books didnt seem to be available.

Still trying to find things that are more expensive here other than fuel. My car insurance has been more expensive but not when you include roadside assist and take into account the fact that we havent built up the NCB yet, which we had in Aus. The car itself is considerably cheaper than the Aus equivalent.
We paid $800 for our ergoflex mattress - Queen size, not sure what that would be in the UK.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
We paid $800 for our ergoflex mattress - Queen size, not sure what that would be in the UK.
Think the equivalent is 399 UKP which ends up cheaper
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure what makes people think that for some miraculous reason fruit and veggies here are all picked in the morning and sold in the afternoon whereas in the UK they all sit around for weeks on end. I have seen numerous people post the same sort of thing and can't understand what makes them think that way ?
The quality of the food in the Neutral bay woolworths was appalling. There were always moldy bits of fruit on display. I never see that in the UK. I got in trouble at my old work because of it in fact when the CEO was going to use Woolworth "we are the fresh food people" advert as an example of good marketing. He asked the dev team what we thought when he said woolworths. I spoke up and said crap over priced food. It didn't go down well with him but it got a laugh out of my team so it was worth it.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Think the equivalent is 399 UKP which ends up cheaper
For you personally, or always?

Depends : I easily earn, in Australia, more than twice in unit terms what I earned in the UK: at those list prices - its cheaper in Australia.

We all have to be very careful.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by isgraham
The quality of the food in the Neutral bay woolworths was appalling. There were always moldy bits of fruit on display. I never see that in the UK. I got in trouble at my old work because of it in fact when the CEO was going to use Woolworth "we are the fresh food people" advert as an example of good marketing. He asked the dev team what we thought when he said woolworths. I spoke up and said crap over priced food. It didn't go down well with him but it got a laugh out of my team so it was worth it.
I'm not sure it's all that expensive for most items but bread and cheese are out of this world, most noticeably if you like good bread. When you buy veg it goes off much quicker when you get it home so must have taken longer to get to the shops.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
For you personally, or always?

Depends : I easily earn, in Australia, more than twice in unit terms what I earned in the UK: at those list prices - its cheaper in Australia.

We all have to be very careful.
Just the conversion rate. I think you can only go in absolutes because some people will earn more and some people will earn less and some will earn about the same - just go with the cash rate otherwise it gets too complicated for words.

Last edited by quoll; Nov 21st 2011 at 9:22 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well. There's some 'beautiful' ex housing commision flats around Hilsdale. I guess you have a point.
lol. mercifully not there. Alexandria/Rosebery area.

Its the area that the appartment building machine seems to be slowly expanding into, via wtareloo, zetland etc. Lots of old warehouse buildings and derelict sites which are slowly getting converted/demolished. Over time, from an investment point of view I think its a great move.
Not sure I want to live there for any great length of time though.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It probably depends on where you live and where you shop........like the cost of most things. If you don't shop around and only visit Coles or Woolworths, then expect to pay more. Using the accepted 2.2 formula, I find fruit and vegetable prices in the Lockyer valley and Toowoomba to be favourable with those in the UK.
Love that formula... it's been around since I got here... and it's total bollocks !
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

I'm not sure what makes people think that for some miraculous reason fruit and veggies here are all picked in the morning and sold in the afternoon whereas in the UK they all sit around for weeks on end. I have seen numerous people post the same sort of thing and can't understand what makes them think that way ?
I have all my QLD fruit and veg transported here by Mr "ye canna change the laws of physics Captain" Scott. I find its so much fresher that way.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Yes, thank you for that smart statement, sort of reminds me of one of the reasons for leaving England.......

I buy our veg and fruit in Grantham from a guy who is building up his business after being wiped out in January. His prices are very good at the moment. Let's hope it stays that way
They won't. I've only been here half a dozen years and I've seen three spikes, that I can remember, in fruit and veg prices for one 'disaster' or another.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.