Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Zombikiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

After seeing so many threads about Oz being so expensive, its bound to be cheaper for some certain things compared to the same in the UK?

So far ive gathered fuel and car insurance is generally cheaper out there?

Im hopefully heading out next year and would be interested in seeing what people have to say on the matter.

Thanks!

Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is 'Cheap' In Australia Compared To The UK?

Originally Posted by Zombikiller
After seeing so many threads about Oz being so expensive, its bound to be cheaper for some certain things compared to the same in the UK?

Im hopefully heading out next year and would be interested in seeing what people have to say on the matter.

Thanks!

Fuel, wine (the lower end of the red wine aisle is very cheap but certainly drinkable), beer (takeaway slabs)... I honestly can't think of anything else. Even where Australia was better value the strength of the AUD has screwed that up as importers don't pass the savings on.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

My car insurance is dearer here... so you can rule that one out as well.

I would say that damn near everything is more expensive here if you do a straight comparison on price... but 'generally' wages are higher here as well, so it tends to balance itself out.

** Just thought of one. Council Tax, or mine at least, is a LOT lower here.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Wine! Comes in boxes labelled "cheap, white, fruity". What more could you want
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Fuel, wine (the lower end of the red wine aisle is very cheap but certainly drinkable), beer (takeaway slabs)... I honestly can't think of anything else. Even where Australia was better value the strength of the AUD has screwed that up as importers don't pass the savings on.
Beer?

Beer is waaaay cheaper in the UK. 18 cans of Stella from Tesco will knock you back 12 quid at the moment.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=268228142
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:40 pm

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Beer?

Beer is waaaay cheaper in the UK. 18 cans of Stella from Tesco will knock you back 12 quid at the moment.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=268228142
Stella's exotic! Stuff like Hahn Superdry seems pretty cheap for a slab
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I find my favorite Australian wines cheaper in the UK than I could in Australia.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Thanks!

Not much, really. Petrol and red meat, maybe. The main saving used to be housing which was much cheaper than England but this isn't the case now. Some wines are cheaper I think.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by isgraham
I find my favorite Australian wines cheaper in the UK than I could in Australia.
Probably true. I've lowered my standards since I've been here.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:51 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Ah but its when you've done the "ooh this is nice to drink" bit of the evening and move onto "I just want wine that isn't quite vinegar" - 4 litres for $12 isn't to be sneezed at
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:52 pm
Home and Happy

Probably true. I've lowered my standards since I've been here.
Thank goodness, I was starting to think it was just me!!!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

Car insurance.

Costs a fortune out here, about $1k for me as a 41 year old female driver with full no claims discount. That is just the comprehensive policy, the CTP is on top of that, can't remember how much it was as Mr BS paid that bill but I think it was another $400 or $500.

Mr BS and I just put our heads together to come up with al ist of what is cheaper. Here it is:
  • Petrol

Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:07 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Mr BS and I just put our heads together to come up with al ist of what is cheaper. Here it is:
  • Petrol

yeh but you might just have to travel twice as much to where you're going
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Not much really. I moved back to the UK in May and found only fuel and council tax are more expensive in the UK. Everything else is cheaper, even taking into account the wages difference.
I'll also add, that although fuel is dearer here you need to drive less so overall cost is less. I also see a lot more for my Council tax here than I saw for my rates in Australia.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Zombikiller is an unknown quantity at this point

So fuel then is the general consensus?

What about things like TV packages (Like Sky), Broadband/Internet, Gym Membership, Clothes, Electronics, Gigs/Concerts Tickets, Cinema Tickets, Mobile Phone Contracts, CD/DVD's/Blurays/Games etc etc, trying to think of everything lol

Is there even any Aussie 'pound shop' equivilants?

LMAO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.