Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What a beautiful day! Remind me why I'm going back?

What a beautiful day! Remind me why I'm going back?

Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:58 am
Merlot

Default Re: What a beautiful day! Remind me why I'm going back?

Originally Posted by Badge
yes, I'm interested too; you are the one poster on this forum that I am 'watching' with interest as you seem to swing a fair bit. I had you posted as an anti-Aus very early on, but recent posts have you changing my assessment Apologies!!

(Nice also to see both HiddenPaw and Merlot looking like they are going to be ''Boomerang Poms''.)

Badge
I would hope that I am not a "Boomerang Pom" once I have settle back in Oz If I turn into one, so be it, as long as I am happy!!

If you read my first posts my trip back to the UK has always been of a temporary, working holiday nature. I would prefer to call myself a Citizen of the World.

I also like to comment further on weather, having lived in many places, every last country has had a couple of months of weather that has been hard to cope with. Oz (Dec - Feb) as is the UK. Israel July/August as was Hong Kong.

People also have the right to change their minds to wherever they want to be for their own reasons. I imagine for the 1% that post their thoughts on here and move countries back and forth, there are 99% that don't/daren't!

My two pence worth, back to work.

Merlot

Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:42 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
I would hope that I am not a "Boomerang Pom" once I have settle back in Oz If I turn into one, so be it, as long as I am happy!!

If you read my first posts my trip back to the UK has always been of a temporary, working holiday nature. I would prefer to call myself a Citizen of the World.

I also like to comment further on weather, having lived in many places, every last country has had a couple of months of weather that has been hard to cope with. Oz (Dec - Feb) as is the UK. Israel July/August as was Hong Kong.

People also have the right to change their minds to wherever they want to be for their own reasons. I imagine for the 1% that post their thoughts on here and move countries back and forth, there are 99% that don't/daren't!

My two pence worth, back to work.

Merlot
No worries Merlot!

there are always those waiting with a label....so they themselves can feel better!

I enjoy the fact you always post how you feel at the time.....cause at least you post the ups and downs.

As for SAD.......every country in the world has the same hours of daylight they are just spread differently thoughout the year, this is different than hours of sunshine. For me, I hate the fact that for six months of the year here in Sydney I come home in the dark and for the most part never see my home in the working week in daylight in the evenings and when I do the latest evening light I enjoy is through to 9.00 pm max.

oh....I hanker after the long summer evenings so much.....
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:32 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Sandra
No worries Merlot!

there are always those waiting with a label....so they themselves can feel better!

I enjoy the fact you always post how you feel at the time.....cause at least you post the ups and downs.

As for SAD.......every country in the world has the same hours of daylight they are just spread differently thoughout the year, this is different than hours of sunshine. For me, I hate the fact that for six months of the year here in Sydney I come home in the dark and for the most part never see my home in the working week in daylight in the evenings and when I do the latest evening light I enjoy is through to 9.00 pm max.

Thank you Sandra, who was it said "Labels should be for cans only".

I do try to say it as I see it as probably someone else feels the same. I am also trying to work on positives as much as I can, and yes the days getting longer in the has lifted everyone's spirits, so lets enjoy.

Badge, you probably didn't mean it but I did take offence as my reasons for being in Oz and coming back to the UK are not the same as the next person, for a start I didn't move to Oz with the intention of living there permanently. I just felt I needed to say, but don't want a fall out.

M

Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:32 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Did you see the 200 odd post on wonderful Melbourne when it had a long sunny warm weekend The same Melbourne that people were landing in last winter and writing off as a graffitti ridden grey grotty hole

Weather does seems to be a big factor for some folk.
We do have more that one a year you know

Who were the peeps that said about it being grotty, i can't remember and are they still here??
Old Mar 17th 2005, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
We do have more that one a year you know

Who were the peeps that said about it being grotty, i can't remember and are they still here??
Pretty familiar with Melboure, lived there for 25 years.

Point i am making is how the opinions on places on this board swing according to one or two comments, and the weather at the time!

Melbourne did not get rave reviews last winter, it got lots of comments like grey, cold, dirty, which in all honesty it does look in winter. Which as I said is like anywhere. It is a different story on a long weekend doing the tourist spots.

I find it interesting, there was a post recently, a person arrived for a look around 3 places, one was brisbane, which was quickly written off as rainy now suppose he had arrived in our winter, last year in winter brisbane had people claiming it was paradise and never rained I just think people overlook australia has a variety of weather too and impressions should not be formed on the 3 days someone spends in one place.

Look at Perth, when the shopping ladies hit town Perth seemed to be the place to go, then Renth posted Riots and ooops suddenly everyones cautious.

Suppose somebody had posted Melbourne just had a security guard shot dead in a shopping mall and a woman stabbed at a primary school, those going to Melbourne would go all cautious.

I just find it amazing that people out there sway according to what is posted on this board :scared:
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it amazing that people out there sway according to what is posted on this board :scared:
Maybe thats cos those of us living here try to post a balenced view and the poms prefer to listen to us that read the Aussie travel brochures?? Surely thats what the likes of us normal peeps on here have been harping on about for months??

All of the points you raised were valid. I also think its nice that Mellie was put in a positive light for a change. I get fed up with 3 day trippers thinking that by staying in the city they have "seen" Melbourne or more importantly Vic. Nearly as funny as those tourist who say they've been to the UK and stay in London for 2 weeks!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I have a friend at home who maintains that the year starts the day the racing festival starts at cheltenham, and that the previous 8-9 weeks of the year should be set aside for the mundane issues like renovations etc.

Spring in England is a particularly attractive if unpredictable time. I love the day the clocks go forward.

Anyway the weather here today is about 18, drizzling, with a downpour forecast. The long ranger for the next 7 days is...rain. I feel like a Melburnian.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:46 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by RichS
I have a friend at home who maintains that the year starts the day the racing festival starts at cheltenham, and that the previous 8-9 weeks of the year should be set aside for the mundane issues like renovations etc.

Spring in England is a particularly attractive if unpredictable time. I love the day the clocks go forward.

Anyway the weather here today is about 18, drizzling, with a downpour forecast. The long ranger for the next 7 days is...rain. I feel like a Melburnian.

Well I'm in Melbourne & its a beautiful sunny day & 22 degrees, so suffer.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

And 24 and 23 and sunny for the w/e. Suffer again
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Enjoy those 3 days !!

Misery and gloom will soon be back - more misery than normal for you as the footie season starts next week and your champion cheat is out for a long while.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by RichS
Enjoy those 3 days !!

Misery and gloom will soon be back - more misery than normal for you as the footie season starts next week and your champion cheat is out for a long while.
Yeah, we are in for a crap season. Rioli's done his back aswel!! Can't wait for sunday arvos in front of the coonara on me beanbag watching the men in shorts , ooopps i mean the footie
Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:28 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Well, I'm in Brisbane. This morning it started off with a enormous rain storm, and now its a little bit overcast, but the temperature is beautiful - just like a mild English summers day.
Just to let you know - you get that mild lovely weather here too sometimes.

Its autumn here now and the days are getting a bit cooler, and the evenings a bit fresher. Bought myself a blanket - haven't used a quilt here yet, and its still too heavy - but a blanket at night time is perfect.

I cant complain about the weather here - its been wonderful.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sandra
No worries Merlot!

You sobered up after St Paddy’s day yet?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

suppose somebody had posted Melbourne just had a security guard shot dead in a shopping mall and a woman stabbed at a primary school, those going to Melbourne would go all cautious.

Better clarify this one dead quick That stabbing in the school, happened to be very close to us at Coburg primary, the local school up the road. It was an estranged husband apparently, and the only place he could be certain to find his wife was at school drop off time. (We found personally that with our older two children, that the schools in Coburg were not to our liking, and take them to the next suburb along at Brunswick, which has some of the highest achieving schools in the state). I would imagine violent incidents (admittedly not in school grounds) between estranged couples happen everyday, in Aussie and England. Hmm a question just entered my head, can people enroll their children in any school they take a liking to in england. ?

Back to the thread, It would be an interesting exercise indeed, for those of us that Love aussie, to list 5 things that we Dont like about it. Off the top of my head, I would say flies and extreme heat are two. and one point the thread starter raises, I certainly miss the lushness and greeness of spring and summer in England.

However I will counter that dislike, with a pet hate of England that doesn't seem to happen here, Queue etiquette, IE: being in a queue, getting to the front, and doing something different to everyone else, like not having the right change, or asking too many questions, or exiting on the wrong side of the queue etc etc or questioning the person behind the counter. You can feel the hostility rising around you if you get that queue stuff wrong, in London particuarly. (My aussie wife was always getting it wrong lol) Yehp people have more time for you here. So there you go glittababe, the Queuing
is more relaxed here, In fact you are going to find queuing far more scarce here than in England
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Better clarify this one dead quick That stabbing in the school, happened to be very close to us at Coburg primary, the local school up the road. It was an estranged husband apparently, and the only place he could be certain to find his wife was at school drop off time. (We found personally that with our older two children, that the schools in Coburg were not to our liking, and take them to the next suburb along at Brunswick, which has some of the highest achieving schools in the state). I would imagine violent incidents (admittedly not in school grounds) between estranged couples happen everyday, in Aussie and England. Hmm a question just entered my head, can people enroll their children in any school they take a liking to in england. ?

Back to the thread, It would be an interesting exercise indeed, for those of us that Love aussie, to list 5 things that we Dont like about it. Off the top of my head, I would say flies and extreme heat are two. and one point the thread starter raises, I certainly miss the lushness and greeness of spring and summer in England.

However I will counter that dislike, with a pet hate of England that doesn't seem to happen here, Queue etiquette, IE: being in a queue, getting to the front, and doing something different to everyone else, like not having the right change, or asking too many questions, or exiting on the wrong side of the queue etc etc or questioning the person behind the counter. You can feel the hostility rising around you if you get that queue stuff wrong, in London particuarly. (My aussie wife was always getting it wrong lol) Yehp people have more time for you here. So there you go glittababe, the Queuing
is more relaxed here, In fact you are going to find queuing far more scarce here than in England

Well we're going to ramble off topic here, but:

1. You cannot go to any school you like here unless you are in the catchment area. State schools that is. If you live outside that area it's at the discretion of the school itself whether they accept you.

2. That must be Victorian queuing. Up here in NSW its just like in the UK, complete with the grumbling and tutting. I know because I've been party to such tutting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.