Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what bank in perth????

what bank in perth????

Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

islie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what bank in perth????

we are moving to perth june 2011, do we open a bank account now and if so with which bank. please advise as we have been told all different stories.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Jackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really niceJackier is just really nice
Default Re: what bank in perth????

Westpac have always been great, but talk to them before sending all your money over as I remember they have limits on how long an account can be open without being validated in person.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islie1
we are moving to perth june 2011, do we open a bank account now and if so with which bank. please advise as we have been told all different stories.
HSBC
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
HSBC
I agree with that. Just closed my 2 Crimminwealth Bank accounts, the incessant small bank charges just seem to add up. I thought I was a mug for having a CBA account.

I was going to give the lady at the branch a serve for the general crapness of CBA as I closed the accounts but she was so nice I couldn't bring myself to do it...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I agree with that. Just closed my 2 Crimminwealth Bank accounts, the incessant small bank charges just seem to add up. I thought I was a mug for having a CBA account.

I was going to give the lady at the branch a serve for the general crapness of CBA as I closed the accounts but she was so nice I couldn't bring myself to do it...
I've been with HSBC since we arrived in Australia and have not paid a cent in fees - ever.

It also helps that their Perth branch is only a 5min walk from where I work.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

HSBC, free money transfers
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Westpac have been good to us... no fees, set up from the uk... held hands through whole mortgage/house/mortgage/extension thing... friendly staff who got to know us personally VERY quickly ... and identity theft dealt with extremely quickly and kindly
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC

??????? ?????? ????????????? ??????????????? just for you because you like question marks so much ??? ??? ???????? ??? ?? ????
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Which high street banks other than HSBC offer cheque accounts with atm cards and internet banking without charging monthly account fees?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:13 pm
Oz Bound and Nervous

iankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really niceiankegg is just really nice

We opened an ANZ account last October at an Australia expo and validated the account during our holiday to Perth over Xmas.
ANZ have been great to date and we have not incurred any charges (so far)

Interseting to note that HSBC have not charged any fees and that they do a free money transfer. Might have to open an account there so that I can transfer the money when we sell our house.

I am so used to the English way of doing things that I feel a bit dim when I think about starting again in Oz...
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you open a bank account a year before you plan to move? Anything can happen between now and next June. Worry about it when you get here (or closer to the time).

As for which bank, they're all as bad as each other.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 15th 2010, 12:35 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've been with HSBC since we arrived in Australia and have not paid a cent in fees - ever.

It also helps that their Perth branch is only a 5min walk from where I work.
I use them too -
ATMs with Westpac or StGeorge (5 per month max before fees kick in, but unlimited at their own.)

HSBC are fine if you do all your own banking. If you want a slightly complicated transaction they charge $8.50 - ie for Bank cheques or for money transfers over I think 10k over the counter.

No fees, but they have restructured their interest paying levels so its not as attractive there, but its still fine.

Other banks are out there that have no-fee accounts but you need to pay like a min of $2k in per month.

Also HSBC mortgages arent the best around so if you want an offset account they arent the best there.